• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

New announcement on Harriet's web site:

"Oh my goodness! Exciting news!!

Thrilled to announce that I will soon be releasing a physical covers album called… COVER STORIES.

As the title suggests, it will consist of a collection of cover songs, including the three from my recent digital EP, ‘Every Breath You Take’, and more. With all songs produced by Steve Anderson."

Check it out on her website!

Oh, thank you for the update. This has made my day. Thats a lot to unpick. Thankfully she's given us a little heads-up on the special package. Has she said anything on the track listing yet? I didn't see it on the website anywhere. Thought I may have missed it.

Please to see it includes my favourites I'm Not In Love & A Dream Is A Wish A Heart Makes! There are spooky moments on those two songs when it truly sounds like Karen. I look forward to hearing the new song!

Well, I went and ordered the diamond package. Hope I get my money's worth. Most interested in the CD. Since I missed out on the Gold package last time I treated myself. And yes, as others have noted on this site, Harriet does come across very much like Karen, especially in those lower registers.

I also ordered the diamond package. Even though it cost twice as much as the CD alone, I couldn't resist the thought of seeing my name in the liner notes. Vanity, thy name is Murray! :laugh:

A little bit of vanity is ok. I'm Not In Love being on there has made my friday. It should have been on her recent covers EP. I'm still unsure about her cover of Every Breath You Take. Her version of I'm Not In Love should be used in films. I think its better than the original which isn't something that happens all the time. The cover improving on the original. According to her Facebook the Diamond package is selling out despite being on sale for just one day! Her people need to re-work her margins. I can't imagine her doing The Best Is Yet To Come. That's such a big band standard. But intrigued nevertheless.

I saw this earlier today and said when I get home from work I'm going to order the diamond pkg but now I see they are all gone. This is weird how they are doing this, either there supply is extremely low or tons of people are ordering. So far I'm not really liking how there store is being worked and marketed.

It went fast - though not as fast as the Gold Edition. Which we now know was restricted by the availability of one of the Cds. Fly? I can't recall. I agree though Chris. I really get the sense that the shop isn't prepared for the demand. Thats her people though. I think they need to have a think and little bit more confidence in her and push the availability. She deserves it. I really am looking forward to having this album. More so than Introducing Harriet. I am attached to I'm Not In Love so I am over the moon to have that finally physically. To me it really does sound like the song the Carpenters should've recorded. And yet, its still very Harriet.

Just an FYI in case you did not know. Harriet tweeted earlier today that this was her birthday. Age 25? Anyway, she has indicated she is taking a trip to Istanbul at this time, presumably with friends.

Let You Go is a another great song and the more I hear it the more I like it. It has a different feel to it for me than many of her other songs. Very well made. I have taken another "look" at I'm Not In Love after Jamie's endorsement of it. It is truly a great version of that song. I am glad it will make the COVERSTORIES CD and so looking forward to that. Harriet is putting together quite a body of work in a short time. Although the album is not out yet and much delayed, I am sure it is a strategy with she and Steve Anderson. She really needs a record contract and the backing it will bring. Of course, she needs some control over her music and that can be difficult with record labels these days and new artists. Still wish her all the best and will be watching.

Oh, and regarding Richard Carpenter's Time which she has been listening to...I almost suggested to her Something In Your Eyes as a cover for the covers EP, but could not bring myself to do it, knowing she would probably nix it anyway. Although not performed by Karen (and I always wished that) I sure would love to hear how Harriet would do on it.

Diamond package received today. Almost two weeks to get from London to Texas, but finally here. Nice personal handwritten note from Harriet, written lyrics from "Fly" and of course the CD, personally signed. Will listen to the CD shortly. Nice CD package for "Cover Stories", much better than "Introducing Harriet" previously received. Oh, and to be listed on the CD for my support (amongst others). As they say, "lovely."

It's heeeeeeeeeeere!! :goodie: First, I have been panicking for a few days now, after having read the posts by garyjo777 and Murray, stating that each had received Harriet's new CD. Mine arrived today, and I couldn't be more pleased. I received the same package as described, and my handwritten lyrics were of "What's Mine Is Yours." All that was promised was indeed produced and delivered. I am looking forward to savoring these songs...

Mine arrived too. Took its sweet time and got a bit worried but when it came it was perfect. The bonus track is brilliant. So pleased to have I'm Not In Love and She's Out Of My Life together on one CD. Very very very happy.

Well, as I mentioned above I missed the last limited edition that Harriet offered but heck if I was going to miss this one, especially a Christmas CD. I saw her post on face book about her new Christmas CD the day before and the different limited edition sets. So here I was at 8:00 in the morning ordering the Holly and Ivy Maybe This Christmas Fan Edition online....I literally had 10 mins before I needed to head out for work and her website was on overload, I kept getting the spinning wheel and had to refresh and start the whole process over multiple times...finally moments before I had to leave it worked. I never needed my coffee so bad as that morning. :laugh:

I'm really excited about getting her Christmas CD, Winter Stories and all the extra's in the fan edition. The bonus track will be nice along with finally getting, Maybe This Christmas on an official CD. I'm also really interested in hearing her other Christmas tracks since her vocals remind me so much of Karen Carpenter. I wonder if that bonus track is Merry Christmas Darling? :love:
It sounds like the whole limited set will be specially wrapped for the holiday...so do I open it before Christmas or wait till Christmas day? hmm

Rick
(Chris Has Exited)

Yeh - think the site crashed with the demand. Apparently there's only 5 packages of the Ribbons and Bows package left such was the demand! What made you go for the Holly and Ivy package rather than Ribbons and Bows? I managed to get mine after 30 minutes of hitting refresh but it worked eventually. The track listing sadly didn't include any Carpenters songs - but i hope beyond all hope that she takes on Merry Christmas Darling and is keeping that a surprise as the bonus track. I'd never heard of the bonus track she recorded for Cover Stories but that is now my favourite song she's ever covered. Out of the songs I'm most intrigued in hearing is Christmas Time Is Here.

The track listing sadly didn't include any Carpenters songs - but i hope beyond all hope that she takes on Merry Christmas Darling and is keeping that a surprise as the bonus track.

I'm afraid it's not going to happen Jamie. I found this exchange on her Facebook page...
---
David Webster Have you considered your arrangers and yourself looking at the old Carpenters song 'Merry Christmas Darling' ? It wasn't that big here and your arrangers are so good that you could make it your own
October 21 at 6:19am

Harrietsmusic 'Merry Christmas Darling' is one of my favourite Christmas songs. Karen's vocal and Richard's production are perfect. I'd rather not touch it....
October 21 at 6:36am
---
As much as we'd all love to hear a Harriet recording of Merry Christmas Darling, I can understand why she wouldn't want to do it. I'm sure that Harriet is flattered that so many people think she sounds like Karen, but at the same time, I doubt she wants to be known as a Karen sound-a-like, if that makes sense. By avoiding Carpenters songs, people can't make a direct, side by side, comparison between Harriet and Karen.

She's releasing a christmas album already! Pre-orders for the vip package go on sale the Friday morning!

Thank you for posting this information on the Christmas release, Jamie! I would not have been aware of it otherwise. Thanks to you, I made sure to place my order, shortly after 8 AM (EDT) Friday morning.

I'm really excited about getting her Christmas CD, Winter Stories and all the extra's in the fan edition.

Rick, isn't it exciting to hear her voice? I find it enjoyable and comforting. Harriet's voice is eerily similar to Karen's. That she has recorded Christmas music is yet another link to Karen.

PS: It's great to have you back, Rick! You'll always be "An Ordinary Fool" to me... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom