• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

40/40 Best Selection songs voted by Japanese fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this the first time in like AGES that 'Superstar' and 'Rainy Days and Mondays' have been split up on a compilation. They almost always run together.

newvillefan said:
Isn't this the first time in like AGES that 'Superstar' and 'Rainy Days and Mondays' have been split up on a compilation. They almost always run together.

Well, yeah, it WOULD have been. But based on your post, and knowing that "Superstar" and "Rainy Days..." are back to back again, I realized that the track list quoted back on the first page of this thread is wrong!

Here's the correct track listing:

Disc One
1 Yesterday Once More
2 Superstar
3 Rainy Days And Mondays
4 Top Of The World
5 Ticket To Ride
6 Love Is Surrender
7 Maybe It's You
8 Reason To Believe
9 Where Do I Go From Here?
10 This Masquerade
11 It's Going To Take Some Time
12 One More Time
13 Those Good Old Dreams
14 For All We Know
15 Crystal Lullaby
16 I Believe You
17 (They Long To Be) Close To You
18 Bless The Beasts And Children
19 All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
20 Calling Occupants Of The Interplanetary Craft

Disc Two
1 I Need To Be In Love
2 Now
3 Solitaire
4 Please Mr Postman
5 Hurting Each Other
6 I Won't Last A Day Without You
7 Sweet, Sweet Smile
8 A Song For You
9 Ordinary Fool
10 When You've Got What It Takes
11 Goodbye To Love
12 Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
13 Sing
14 Baby, It's You
15 Let Me Be The One
16 Only Yesterday
17 Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
18 Leave Yesterday Behind
19 We've Only Just Begun
20 When It's Gone

Harry

Given the different track listing, I checked to see what's different other than order. The actual disc includes:

When You've Got What It Takes
Let Me Be The One
Leave Yesterday Behind

The earlier track listing had these, but they do NOT appear:

Touch Me When We're Dancing
Merry Christmas Darling
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

I'm guessing that either the earlier list was a list of the voting in progress, or perhaps there was a change of heart to omit the Christmas songs when it came time to compile the actual album.

Harry

Oh wow, that's interesting to see. I mean, the order is radically different. Some songs have even changed disc! Shame to see 'Touch Me When We're Dancing' has been removed, it's such a classy tune and their last big hit.

Harry said:
Given the different track listing, I checked to see what's different other than order. The actual disc includes:

When You've Got What It Takes
Let Me Be The One
Leave Yesterday Behind

The earlier track listing had these, but they do NOT appear:

Touch Me When We're Dancing
Merry Christmas Darling
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

I'm guessing that either the earlier list was a list of the voting in progress, or perhaps there was a change of heart to omit the Christmas songs when it came time to compile the actual album.

Harry

Good eye Harry. I'm actually glad that the Christmas songs are not there. I would much rather have Leave Yesterday Behind in it's place, it kinda makes sense cause Leave Yesterday Behind was released as part of the rare single CD in Japan (from ATGB) so it must have been a bigger hit there. This is going to turn out to be quite a nice collection. I am looking forward to getting it.

Is that the long version of "Calling Occupants" or the single version?

if it's the single, I might try to pick this set up just for that! I've never heard the single version, and don't much like the long one.

Just listening to mp3's of the discs at this point, here's some of what I've learned:

Disc One
1 Yesterday Once More - modern remix (SACD?)
2 Superstar (modern remix SACD?)
3 Rainy Days And Mondays (remix)
4 Top Of The World (single version, remix)
5 Ticket To Ride (73 version)
6 Love Is Surrender (modern remix)
7 Maybe It's You (modern remix)
8 Reason To Believe (modern remix)
10 This Masquerade
11 It's Going To Take Some Time (remix)
12 One More Time
13 Those Good Old Dreams (low synth volume)
14 For All We Know (remix)
15 Crystal Lullaby (remix)
16 I Believe You
17 (They Long To Be) Close To You (modern remix)
18 Bless The Beasts And Children (modern remix)
20 Calling Occupants Of The Interplanetary Craft (album version, phasey vocal near end)

Disc Two
1 I Need To Be In Love
2 Now
3 Solitaire (album version)
4 Please Mr Postman (album version)
5 Hurting Each Other (modern remix)
6 I Won't Last A Day Without You (single version, remix)
7 Sweet, Sweet Smile
8 A Song For You (modern remix)
9 Ordinary Fool
11 Goodbye To Love (modern remix, opening breath)
12 Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
13 Sing (remix)
14 Baby, It's You (modern remix, replaced piano)
15 Let Me Be The One (remix)
16 Only Yesterday (short single version, remix)
19 We've Only Just Begun (remix)
20 When It's Gone

Harry

Harry,

I have a few questions about some of the mixes.

'Calling Occupants' is the album version and not the remix? Is that a first for Richard to allow that except for that import set with all original misex?

'I need To Be in Love'- wow this is the original version and not the remix?

Thanks

Scott B

Harry said:
Just listening to mp3's of the discs at this point, here's some of what I've learned:

Disc One
1 Yesterday Once More - modern remix (SACD?)
2 Superstar (modern remix SACD?)
3 Rainy Days And Mondays (remix)
4 Top Of The World (single version, remix)
5 Ticket To Ride (73 version)
6 Love Is Surrender (modern remix)
7 Maybe It's You (modern remix)
8 Reason To Believe (modern remix)
10 This Masquerade
11 It's Going To Take Some Time (remix)
12 One More Time
13 Those Good Old Dreams (low synth volume)
14 For All We Know (remix)
15 Crystal Lullaby (remix)
16 I Believe You
17 (They Long To Be) Close To You (modern remix)
18 Bless The Beasts And Children (modern remix)
20 Calling Occupants Of The Interplanetary Craft (album version, phasey vocal near end)

Disc Two
1 I Need To Be In Love
2 Now
3 Solitaire (album version)
4 Please Mr Postman (album version)
5 Hurting Each Other (modern remix)
6 I Won't Last A Day Without You (album version, remix)
7 Sweet, Sweet Smile
8 A Song For You (modern remix)
9 Ordinary Fool
11 Goodbye To Love (modern remix, opening breath)
12 Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore (remix? sounds different)
13 Sing (remix)
14 Baby, It's You (modern remix, replaced piano)
15 Let Me Be The One (remix)
16 Only Yesterday (short single version, remix)
19 We've Only Just Begun (remix)
20 When It's Gone

Harry

scottb said:
Harry,

I have a few questions about some of the mixes.

'Calling Occupants' is the album version and not the remix? Is that a first for Richard to allow that except for that import set with all original misex?

'I need To Be in Love'- wow this is the original version and not the remix?

Scott,

If you look at my descriptions (done after one listen to some mp3's!) after "Calling Occupants..." you'll see "phasey vocal near end", which was my way of saying "remix". On the remix version, Richard put Karen's vocal through a phasing process on "...you close your eyes and concentrate, together that's the way..."

"I Need To Be In Love" may indeed be the remix - I didn't listen closely enough to remember (I think I was drifting off on the airplane!).

The general thrust of this set is remixes. It seemed to me that if thed song had been remixed, then the latest and greatest remix was used.

Harry

I'm intrigued by the possibility of a "Your Baby Doesnt Love You Anymore" remix. Thought it was one of the best tracks on VOH. Still do. Hopeful...

I'm not good at telling remix, I feel them new remixes. Very different from others, clearer, different mix to me.

Richard did remaster them.

This new compilation sounds greater than SHM-CD "Now & Then" released in Japan before. Only to new remaster by Richard himself?

As I posted another thread, HMV still has limited 3400Yen edition in stock.
www.hmv.co.jp
you can search by Cat.No UICY91346
In Stock - usually sent within 24 hours

On April 21st Richard said that he had not listended Carpenters SHM-CD yet, though he said that he had heard Mamas & Papas' SHM-CD. ( :o He had not heard SHM-CD "Now & Then"!!?)

Sakura

Inside photos from a fan's blog
t02200134_0783047710169666093.jpg

t02200106_0800038610169666088.jpg

http://ameblo.jp/carpenters-daisuki/page-6.html#main

SakuraSYayoi said:
HMV still has limited 3400Yen edition in stock.
www.hmv.co.jp

SakuraSYayoi said:
I'm not good at telling remix, I feel them new remixes. Very different from others, clearer, different mix to me.

Richard did remaster them.

This new compilation sounds greater than SHM-CD "Now & Then" released in Japan before. Only to new remaster by Richard himself?

As I posted another thread, HMV still has limited 3400Yen edition in stock.
www.hmv.co.jp

On April 21st Richard said that he had not listended Carpenters SHM-CD yet, though he said that he had heard Mamas & Papas' SHM-CD. ( :o He had not heard SHM-CD "Now & Then"!!?)

Sakura

Hi Sakura,

I know you said that for the 40/40 set Richard did remaster them.

Is there anything in the booklet that came with the 2 CD set that says where and when Richard remastered the 40/40 release?

Many Thanks

Scott

As per my early notes on the 40/40 set (in the other thread):

"There are no notes on the set saying that Richard had any involvement - at least not in the English portions."

Harry

It sounds like Richard may not have been involved in this since Sakura says Richard said he has not listened to the 40/40 selections. Maybe Sakura could tell us if writing inside mentions Richard re-mixed any new selections just for this release?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Maybe Sakura could tell us if writing inside mentions Richard re-mixed any new selections just for this release?

Ooh yes that would be good, given Harry's comments! :)

mstaft said:
I'm intrigued by the possibility of a "Your Baby Doesnt Love You Anymore" remix. Thought it was one of the best tracks on VOH. Still do. Hopeful...

I share your love for the track, and agree its one of the best on VOICE OF THE HEART.

But, I'm now going to back off on any claims of a remix. I listened to it this morning on a car stereo, direct from the CD, and then compared it with the VOICE OF THE HEART recording. Other than perhaps the SHM-CD being a little more detailed, I think the mixes are the same.

I was probably fooled by the generally clean sound of this song and the fact that I was listening to it intently with headphones on that first time.

I'm also going to change "I Won't Last A Day Without You" to be the single version, remixed. That's one I mis-remembered when I posted above, and I'll go back and fix it for accuracy.

Harry

Harry said:
As per my early notes on the 40/40 set (in the other thread):

"There are no notes on the set saying that Richard had any involvement - at least not in the English portions."

Harry

Hi Harry,

The reason I posted the question to Sakura is because Sakura said the set was remastered by Richard and I was wondering if somewhere in the Japanese notes it mentioned it in Japanese and also because of Yuka's original information which said

"April 22: a double disk set "Carpenters 40/40 Best Selection" SHM-CD including 40 tracks. /Richard will be hand picking 40 tracks to celebrate 40th anniversary of their debut. He will also re-master for SHM-CD format"

Scott

Yes, Scott. I was merely pointing out again that there's nothing mentioned in the English notes about Richard's involvement at all. Usually there's something referenced somewhere.

Harry

I couldn't find it in English on 40/40, either.
It is written next to the title at Obi and Unviersal site.

-- obi --
Carpenters 40
結成40周年を記念して日本のファンが選んだ40曲。
全曲リチャード・カーペンター自身による最新リマスター。
カーペンターズ40/40
~ベスト・セレクション
40 songs were selected by Japanese fans for 40th anniversary.
All the songs with the latest remaster by Richard Carpenter himself.
Carpenters 40/40
- Best Selection

-- Universal Music site --
20トラック入りのディスクを2枚封入した計40トラック。リチャード・カーペンターによる選曲、SHM-CD用リマスター。ブックレットにはリチャードによる日本のファン向けのライナー・ノートを予定。
20-track disc x 2, 40-track.
Richard Carpenters selected songs, remastered for SHM-CD.

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/u-pop/special/shm-cd/products/index.html
We expected Richard's liner notes but only thank you message.

Richard said that he hadn't listened to the SHM-CD. I accepted it as he hadn't listened to SHM-CD itself, he of course listened to the master tape. He said something like he was looking forward to listening to 40/40 in his music room when he would come back to his house. Mr. I of Universal Music said that he listened to the SHM-CD that was just pressed, before Richard listened to the SHM-CD. Mr. I was told by Richard to make fans warm-up(?) but he was so excited to listen that he couldn't make it. Richard told us a joke and let us smile/laugh.

Sakura

That tells me that there is was no new remaster on this that songs were taken from the latest remaster, maybe from the latest release of remaster? But it doesn't mention remixes. Perhaps as Harry mentioned with the new SHM pressing it may make the music sound cleaner.

...still anxiously awaiting delivery of 40/40...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:

That tells me that there is was no new remaster on this that songs were taken from the latest remaster, maybe from the latest release of remaster? But it doesn't mention remixes. Perhaps as Harry mentioned with the new SHM pressing it may make the music sound cleaner.

...still anxiously awaiting delivery of 40/40...

Sorry, I mistook to translate, I meant the brand new remaster.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom