• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A lost Mendes song

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Mendes fans,

In December 1993, THE CHRISTMAS SONG by Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 was played on the Dutch Radio Airwaves. The first time i ever heard this song.

With a nice typical Oscar Castro Neves guitar interlude and sweeping Grusin strings the song continues with the sweet vocals by the legendary
Lani Hall/Karen Phillips. Wonderful in every sense!

Can anyone inform on wich album this song was released?
Released on an A&M Christmas compilation album, perhaps?

Let me know,

All the best,

Aqua do Brasil

Aqua do Brasil said:
In December 1993, THE CHRISTMAS SONG by Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66 was played on the Dutch Radio Airwaves. The first time i ever heard this song.

Can anyone inform on wich album this song was released?
Released on an A&M Christmas compilation album, perhaps?

Yes, it was an A&M Christmas album, entitled, in the States, Something Festive!. My recollections are that it came out in Europe under another title, something along the lines of 'Herb Alpert & Friends at Christmas' - something like that.

Our discussion about the album can be found here.

Harry
...who's favorite track on that album is the Sergio Mendes "Christmas Song", online...

I remember Lani and Sergio talking about "The Christmas Song" on the Alan Thicke show many years ago. They appeared on a Christmas Eve episode. Lani sung, "Never Say Never Again" with Sergio on keyboards, "The Look Of Love" and closed the show with "The Christmas Song." "We only recorded one Christmas song, didn't we?" Sergio said to Lani. "Yes...Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire," she replied. "We would like to have done more," Sergio said, "an album of Christmas music." Alas, it never came to pass. What a shame. "The Christmas Song" proved that the sound of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 was well adapted to holiday music. A Christmas album would have been sensational.

Jon

...who also likes "The Christmas Song" from Something Festive, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom