A Question about certain Herb Alpert albums that went out of print before the A&M Label design change in 1973/74

Bobberman

I dont know if this has ever been discussed but Out of curiosity my question concerns these Herb Alpert titles on A&M Vinyl Versions whether any of them appeared on the Silver/Tan Label before going out of print and these are the ones I'm wondering about
1. SRO
2 Sounds Like
3 Herb Alpert's Ninth
4. Warm
5. The Brass are Comin'
6. Summertime
I suspected Some of these might have went out of print before or by 1974 I do know everything else that remained in print subsequently got silver/tan labels and in the 80s when they went to the black label in some cases I've seen only a few. I just thought I'd ask just in case any of you fellow cornerites have some or at least have any knowledge of them

I dont know if this has ever been discussed but Out of curiosity my question concerns these Herb Alpert titles on A&M Vinyl Versions whether any of them appeared on the Silver/Tan Label before going out of print and these are the ones I'm wondering about
1. SRO
2 Sounds Like
3 Herb Alpert's Ninth
4. Warm
5. The Brass are Comin'
6. Summertime
I suspected Some of these might have went out of print before or by 1974 I do know everything else that remained in print subsequently got silver/tan labels and in the 80s when they went to the black label in some cases I've seen only a few. I just thought I'd ask just in case any of you fellow cornerites have some or at least have any knowledge of them

Just from memory, Bobberman, I don't think any of those were still in print by '74.

Michael is right -- none of those 6 existed with the silver/tan label. You can add The Christmas Album with the original sleeve to the list as well; when the "white/torn sleeve" reissue came along, it had the silver/tan label.

What I wonder is if any albums got the black label treatment before the record companies phased out vinyl...

--Mr. Bill

Weren't some of those listed as "out-of-print" on the record jackets of FOURSIDER, SOLID BRASS, and GH VOL 2?

I don't have Foursider or Solid Brass handy (they are stored away), but GHVol2 shows four (?) tracks as being from Solid Brass and the one TJB Xmas album track shows it is "currently unavailable."

SOLID BRASS lists all of the albums with catalog numbers. I guess they were still available at that time. FOURSIDER doesn't seem to list any albums.SolidBrassLPMonoB.JPG

Weren't some of those listed as "out-of-print" on the record jackets of FOURSIDER, SOLID BRASS, and GH VOL 2?
On the later vinyl reissues in the 80s they listed some as " No Longer available" only on the CD versions of Solid brass and Foursider they list some as out of print the early Greatest hits vol 2 CD just copies the 1977 list where Only the Christmas album is listed as out of print

What I wonder is if any albums got the black label treatment before the record companies phased out vinyl...

--Mr. Bill
I have seen a couple online I saw a foursider in the black label also Rise and Greatest hits volume 2 ( I'm sure there were a few others) but they are extremely rare as they were probably made in limited quantities as they were starting to phase out vinyl in 1988 I even remember being in a Musicland store in late December of that year ( after Christmas) and the CDs in stock were starting to outnumber the available vinyl and the Herb Alpert section didn't even have one vinyl LP in stock just CDs but only the most recent releases they must have sold out all the TJB titles they had before the Holidays of course I was at the time unaware of any TJB issues on CD until months later. But at the time I wasn't able to purchase Many CDs because of the prices and my limited income at the time I was prioritizing even back then

Here's a black label example of GREATEST HITS, found on Discogs:

OTItNjM5MC5qcGVn.jpeg

For what it's worth, I've never seen the black label for any TJB albums. But it makes sense that they'd be uber-rare. The only A&M release that I can think of that says, 'No longer available' would be the 'Nadia's Theme' compilation. As most here at A&M Corner know, they picked several songs from the 'Bless The Beasts And Children' soundtrack for inclusion on the album. The liner notes on the back clearly state under each soundtrack song that the original album was no longer available.

In retrospect, it's a good thing those tracks WERE ultimately included because you can't find them anywhere else (as far as I know).

Last edited:
Just from memory, Bobberman, I don't think any of those were still in print by '74.
I found Ninth and Warm at a store in the cutout rack. This would have been about 1975 and I bought both of them. They may have been out of print but the leftovers were still showing up. I have never seen any of the Herb Alpert catalog with the black label and I tend to always look at the records when I find them.
I only have 2 lp's with the black label. Breathe-All That Jazz and Richard Carpenter-Time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I was curious and it's nice to get confirmation I can assume on a somewhat related note Based on my Experiences The BMB albums with the exceptions of Greatest Hits and Foursider all went out of print by 1973 the aforementioned two that remained in print until the very early 80s did Recieve the Silver/Tan labels ( my Greatest hits copy was a non gatefold version purchased in August 1979)

And As a Bonus I saw Herb's Rise album on Discogs in the rare Black A&M label SP 3274 I'm sure that one is another extreme Rarity

Back
Top Bottom