• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

a question about the Alpert/Hall tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just happened to look through the tour dates on herbalpert.com. I thought I remembered having seen that he was doing a show at the University of Iowa sometime next month, and he is, but it still doesn't show a venue or a price or give any way to buy tickets to it.

Although I could go to the Tuesday show in Minneapolis (which would also be less of a drive for me), I'd rather support my home state if possible, so I'm wondering if any new news on the the University of Iowa of show's location has been made yet, and if not, they're cutting it close, aren't they?

Thank you Harry, but I had a friend at University of Iowa look for me and she found it for me. I actually went against everything I've ever believed in and ordered the ticket over the internet. I am such a hypocrite, but hey, if I get a good concert out of the deal (which I'm sure I will), I won't berate myself too much over it. Maybe I'll even get lucky and they'll have copies of the CD there so I can buy one.

Yeah, I will be amazed if they DON'T have a merchandise table there...that's where half the money is made in touring these days.

gameenjoyer said:
I actually went against everything I've ever believed in and ordered the ticket over the internet.

...so THAT'S what's wrong with the weather! :D

Harry

gameenjoyer said:
Maybe I'll even get lucky and they'll have copies of the CD there so I can buy one.

On the "Second Wind" tour in Philly, you could buy an autographed CD! :D

Second+Wind.jpg

The concert venue in Naperville included a table in the lobby with "Anything Goes" CD's, plus canvas tote bags and tee-shirts featuring a reproduction of the backdrop (appropriately titled, "Backdrop") that Herb painted for the tour. At one point he even made a humorous reference to the items being available after the show.

Charles

Last year, Herb made humorous references to the fact that there was NOTHING available after the show!

Harry

Thank you Charles H. I do plan to try to find a copy while I'm in Illinois this weekend for a wedding if I'm in an urban enough area to think maybe there'd be one (I haven't mapquested the wedding's location yet), but it's nice to know that I will have a shot at a copy at the concert if that attempt doesn't come to fruition.

There was no merchandise table in Brookfield WI, but, as mentioned earlier, there was in Naperville IL.

The people working there said about $1,600.00 worth of t-shirts and CDs were sold that evening. One of them was the art director for the 'ANYTHING GOES' and 'COLORS' CDs. He appeared to be about my age.

Ushers and other merchandise workers were students.

JB

Hey TJBfolks from Connecticut, Westchester, NJ/NYC area: I just secured my ticket for the Ridgefield Playhouse for next Monday and I can't wait to see you all!! :) Hi Steve S.! I'll get in touch with you sometime this week.

Michael F.

Okay, this just occurred to me a couple days ago, so prepare for what is likely the stupidest question anyone has ever asked on this forum:

What am I supposed to wear to the concert this Friday?

Naturally, if it were something like Taylor Swift or Lesley Gore, etc., something pop oriented, I'd be fine going in a t-shirt and blue jeans, but I'm not used to jazz music that much or its concerts, and I do know that it is a more serious style of music than pop or country are. At the same time, I don't think that this is like the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, or something that fancy requiring full suit coat and a tie. So, at what middle ground between the two should I go? Polo shirt? Dress shirt without a tie? I'd rather not be over or underdressed when I go, lest I look stupid.

Be comfortable. There are almost no rules anymore on proper attire.

In Philly there was a mix of jeans and t-shirts along with sport coats and casual shirts and some with suits and ties.

I wore a casual long-sleeve polo type shirt and dress slacks.

Harry

Herb wore jeans and tennis shoes with a dark sports jacket in Brookfield WI. That's a good combination for the evening.

JB

I guess the Miami Vice look (pastel green blazer, white jeans, turquoise tank top and Ray-Ban Wayfarer shades) isn't in anymore, huh?

Thank you for your opinions on that matter. Nobody's said they're going, so I guess I'll be the only person from the forum at that particular show. Oh well, no matter. I'd go even if I were going to be the only person going at all (although, if that were the case, the concert'd probably be cancelled).

You may find that other people there know of A&M Corner, but are either not members, people who are members but don't post, or are just lurkers.

At the Philly concert, I saw a gentleman about my age, wearing a sports coat and a Bullish t-shirt. As he walked in the row in front of me, I commented on his Bullish t-shirt, and he replied that he thought it was a fake that someone on eBay had printed up.

That told me two things about him - that he's Internet saavy enough to have gone on eBay, and that he's a big enough Herb Alpert fan to have sought out a t-shirt like that.

Putting two and two together, it's likely that this gentleman has at one time "Googled" Herb Alpert and ended up somewhere here on A&M Corner.

Harry

Yeah,that's how I found the Corner -- I think I was on Yahoo and did a search for Tijuana Brass or Sergio Mendes, one or the other.....been here ever since! :)

A lot of people look at a site like this and, though they might be pretty big fans of Herb or Carpenters or Sergio, they might feel as though they have nothing to add to the conversation. I've had conversations with a number of people like that - they'll come and read our posts, click on our links, but just don't want to jump in on the conversation for fear that they're not knowledgeable enough.

That's natural, I suppose. I stumble onto other forums all the time when seeking information and will read the contents of relevant threads, gather the info I need and move on.

So, imagine a huge fan of Red Skelton or Bob Hope. They google their favorite and come up with a thread here about Carpenters appearing on Bob Hope or Herb appearing on Red Skelton, check out that thread, realize that they have a copy of WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS and maybe BEAT OF THE BRASS in their collection, so they go and read about that album and what we've written here about it.

What they read might prompt them to upgrade their old album to a Signature Series CD or two or three - and after reading some more here and there, might bookmark the site - or not - and move on. Because they feel that they merely have a passing affinity for these couple Herb Alpert and Tijuana Brass albums, they don't really feel like joining up, or that they have nothing to contribute to any of our discussions.

That's all natural and perfectly understandable, so it's natural to assume that many who would bother to attend a Herb Alpert and Lani Hall concert would have some passing knowledge of this place if they've been on the Internet at all.

Harry

Are there any of you going to be at the Lansing MI show. I am hoping to meet Herb and get a 20x30 picture I took of him 25 years ago on the Bullish Tour, signed!! How approachable is Herb and Lani?

Sorry Captain Bill!! I missed the original thread. :oops: Yes Herb is very accessible. I met my hero tonight!! We spoke for about 5 minutes, maybe more. He signed my personal Bullish Tour Pic and a one of a kind artists rendition of the WCAOD album cover. I will post pics when I figure out how to do it. The show was exellent. He played several tracks from the new album. He played a new arrangement of I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face. He touched on This Guy....Spanish Flee...and If I Were A Rich Man. The show was stunning to say the least. Musicianship was just stellar :thumbsup: I felt like a little kid meeting my lifelong hero. Herb was genuinely impressed with the photo that I took of him back in 1984. He asked what I used to take it and was amazed it blew up to 20x30 so clearly. I thanked him for the years of inspiration and wonderful entertainment! Long Live Herb Alpert and his bride Lani Hall!!

Nice pic, Marty--it did blow up well! Best way to get it "online" would be to scan a smaller size photo of it (if you know someone with a scanner) or take a digital photo of the large image with the autograph on it. Did he use the black Sharpie?

BTW, he also played a bit of "What Now My Love" during one of the encores. I think that was when they turned the microphones off...

Counting a 10 minute stop for gas, it took us about 88 minutes to get home. Rolled in here at about 11:12pm.

Thanks Rudy!! You must have been back stage also. He signed it with my silver sharpie. It looks great down in my HurriKane Lounge, my basement tribute to Herb and Rock and Roll. You are correct about What Now My Love.

Same stop for gas and 54 miles later we rolled into Grand Blanc a 10:45PM :D I'm still smiling!!

Hi Marty--it "connected" when I stopped here after I got home and noticed you mentioned the large photo and the "whipped cream lady" painting. :D

We did about 200 miles round trip. Went a bit out of our way to stop in Plymouth for dinner, and our only excitement was watching the odometer turn over 196,000 miles. (Yeah, I know, we don't get out much anymore. :D )

Hi Rudy!! Did we speak at all? It would have nice to have met you being that you are the most prolific poster on this forum. Sometimes it's good to make connections with true fans of our hero. Hopefully we can meet sometime being that we are reasonably close and from Wolverine country!! :thumbsup:

Well. 200 miles is not a big deal when you are talking about Herb! I'm sure you had tunes going in the car!! I did :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom