• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A rare Richard Carpenter solo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Perales

I just found this song called "You'll Never Know" sung by Richard Carpenter on Youtube. This is the first time that I ever heard it.

The sound quality is bad but, Richard sound so good in it. It made me think, "Now THIS is the type of song that Richard should have done as a follow-up to his "Time" album.

I wonder how this song was left unheard to most of us for so long? :?:

Danny

Thanks for sharing. You just got to love youtube.

The track is from the "music music music" special. John Davidson sang it on the special. As we've found out by the "as time goes by" release, Karen & Richard would sing lead on the all the tracks, to give the guest stars a chart to follow. This must be Richard's original.

JAZZ4JEFF said:
Thanks for sharing. You just got to love youtube.

Glad to, and yep, youtube is great!

The track is from the "music music music" special. John Davidson sang it on the special. As we've found out by the "as time goes by" release, Karen & Richard would sing lead on the all the tracks, to give the guest stars a chart to follow. This must be Richard's original.

I believe that this recording could have been a huge hit on the AC charts.

Danny

People have been saying for years that this vocal is his best...why he never released it is beyond me. Maybe he still has something, (aside from the Christmas cd) up his sleeve. Karen and Richard went in and recorded vocals 'on their own dime' just to have them for their personal library, if memory serves me correctly.

I believe that Richard's biggest mistake was not including his version of this song on 'As Time Goes By'. All the other tracks from the show were there, I Got Rhythm, Ella Medley, You're Just In Love (Karen and Richard vocal), Without A Song (Karen and Richard vocal), so this was the obvious missing song.

When they finished mixing MMM in 1980, Karen and Richard went back in and erased Ella's and John's vocals and recorded second masters with their vocals on instead, for their own private collections. It's obvious now that Richard did the same with this song. I wonder what Karen thought of his reading of it? To me, it's his best vocal performance ever and would have sat perfectly amongst all those other classy songs on the album.

Stephen

goodjeans said:
People have been saying for years that this vocal is his best...why he never released it is beyond me.

Maybe because people keep harping him about Karen in just about everywhere he goes. I mean, when he's invited for an interview, the questions are mostly about Karen. Even when he off-mentions that he's thinking of putting out some new music, people still ask him if he will put more of the "lost" Karen's vocals, with almost total disreguard about him.

Do anyone here think that you can stay confident and believe in one-self when you just lost a precious person/professional partner, and most of the fans seems to have written you off because of it?

At least, that's the impression that I've been getting from fans for these past 20 years.

I always considered "The Carpenters" as "Karen and Richard", not as "Karen with Richard", if you know what I'm trying to say.

Maybe he still has something, (aside from the Christmas cd) up his sleeve.

I hope so, because some people are begining to give up hope for any more new music from him.

Karen and Richard went in and recorded vocals 'on their own dime' just to have them for their personal library, if memory serves me correctly.

I remember that some other recording stars do that as well.

Danny

Daniel Perales said:
Even when he off-mentions that he's thinking of putting out some new music, people still ask him if he will put more of the "lost" Karen's vocals, with almost total disreguard about him.

Daniel, that's more just conjecture between us fans :)

newvillefan said:
I believe that Richard's biggest mistake was not including his version of this song on 'As Time Goes By'. All the other tracks from the show were there, I Got Rhythm, Ella Medley, You're Just In Love (Karen and Richard vocal), Without A Song (Karen and Richard vocal), so this was the obvious missing song.

When they finished mixing MMM in 1980, Karen and Richard went back in and erased Ella's and John's vocals and recorded second masters with their vocals on instead, for their own private collections. It's obvious now that Richard did the same with this song. I wonder what Karen thought of his reading of it? To me, it's his best vocal performance ever and would have sat perfectly amongst all those other classy songs on the album.

Stephen

Stephen, I agree with you 100% It would have been a perfect track to include. Nice post.

Do anyone here think that you can stay confident and believe in one-self when you just lost a precious person/professional partner, and most of the fans seems to have written you off because of it?
wow...I never took the time to analyze this the way that Daniel Perales put into very succinct words. Ouch for Richard. I guess even genius hurts. I am now saddened by this information. Is talent always persecuted? Anyway, I still want more of the both of them. Secular, Christmas, coughing before a lead vocal, telling off some parking attendant...ya know.. ALL of it. Have a great Labor Day everyone...

Richard Carpenter is super talented - and that's an understatement - but the fact of the matter to most people is that Karen was the star of the Carpenters. Together they were a superb team....Richard's awesome arrangements, compositions and production...but it all hinged on Karen's Vocals. Karen's voice was one of a kind and no one has even come close to her as far as being comparable. THAT is something very special and something I am sure Richard is very proud of. Their work together stands above all else anything either one of them ever did solo. I do think Richard would have been VERY successful on his own scoring movies. He still could. Apparently he is not interested in doing that. He has been true to the CARPENTERS legacy...preserving it and I'm sure appreciating the time and career he had with Karen.
As for being asked about Karen repeatedly over the years, I have no doubt that makes him very proud of her -both as a brother and as his musical partner. The music they made together has stood the test of time and is greatly appreciated by millions.

I think Karen's vocal of "How High The Moon" is the only (Karen) recording from MMM that hasn't been in release yet.

Karen did "How High The Moon" - I wonder if it was over-dubbed like Toni Tennille's - a great version of this song.

Speaking of "moon", didn't Karen also record "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"? I read that somewhere...

Aha! This is a gem. RC's recording is perhaps his best vocal. This leads me to believe that a Nelson Riddle project might have been as big as Ronstadt's work a few years later. Here again I had absolutely no idea this recording existed. AS TIME GOES BY would've been a perfect showcase. Now again I wonder just what is out there? Was this piece even on the "buried treasures" list? The smooth transition from pop to a NR venture would've been a savvy career move. Albeit not top 40 it was repleate with class and distinction. Clearly I know it's somewhat ridiculous and hopeless for the more more more thing. Still I wonder and wait.

Jeff

The "How High the Moon" recorded/cataloged under the name "Carpenters" for MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC was Ella's guest appearance. Richard said that in Yuka's interview regarding unreleased tracks. Has he ever said a recording of Karen doing the song is in existence?

Aha! This is a gem. RC's recording is perhaps his best vocal. This leads me to believe that a Nelson Riddle project might have been as big as Ronstadt's work a few years later. Here again I had absolutely no idea this recording existed. AS TIME GOES BY would've been a perfect showcase. Now again I wonder just what is out there? Was this piece even on the "buried treasures" list? The smooth transition from pop to a NR venture would've been a savvy career move. Albeit not top 40 it was repleate with class and distinction. Clearly I know it's somewhat ridiculous and hopeless for the more more more thing. Still I wonder and wait.

It would have been a smash especially with Karen in the couture that Ronstadt wore....beautiful... The Christmas album was(is) an annual smash. This would have charted for at least two years...I Can Dream Can't I???

What a great recording. It definitely sounds like something Richard took his time with. Would be nice to hear if Richard by some strange chance decides to put out another comp album sprinkled with rarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom