A Song for Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Time to time, I run into a song thats screams "Karen would have done this one SO well."
Add a new one to my list-
Just listening to the Gladys Knight album "Before Me'.
The song "This Bitter Earth" would have been a great song for Karen.
Tender, introspective, and warmly hopeful.
I highly recommend this album....

"It Never Rains In Southern California" The writer, the subject matter, the classic sibling overdubs, the drumline (with either Karen or Jim Gordon playing strong drums). I have thought and wished for years that Carpenters would have remade that one. They could probably have done it in an afternoon and taken it to #1 and I don't care which year or what was 'hot' at the time. Not too strong an opinion, eh?

The first time I heard Crystal Gayle's recording of Talking In Your Sleep, I thought it would have been perfect for Karen. The line "I've heard it said that dreamers never lie" has that low register that Karen was able to sing so well...

"Our Day Will Come"--A COMPLETE version outside of "The Oldies Medley" (been looking for a thread to discuss this particular song in The Carpenters canon, in their Forum on this Board) would be well-done in the manner of "Hurting Each Other"; both songs were originally done by Ruby & The Romantics (who also did "Baby I Could Be So Good At Lovin' You", as a single, which was also covered by The Sandpipers)...

"Our Day Will Come" was also done by Roger Nichols & The Small Circle of Friends and also as the perfect '60's-Folk/Pop song by We Five and got revived in the '70's by The Ray Conniff Singers (which seems to be dated, despite, even with the electric wah-wah guitar, it seems to be struggling for life) and by Frankie Valli... --The many versions even w/o a "complete" Carpenters reeindition, still do it justice...!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom