A Song for You-Original Master Recording MFSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I had no idea this was such a collectors item worth this much money. I remember buying mine in a record store when it first came out, standing there holding it saying why in the world is this CD so expensive and I thought $29.95 was alot which is what I think it cost back then. Seems like alot of folks are after this one. I've always thought it was cool how the case opens and sorta hands you the CD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Song-For-You-...goryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That CD is different from mine. The front cover looks identical, but the back is different. Mine has a large CarpenterS logo at the top left above the track listing, the font used for the track listing is smaller on mine. My copy doesn't have a gold A&M or MFSL logo at the bottom (they're white), and the right-side text in the box isn't there, just some copyright info, the catalog number UDCD 525 STEREO, a COMPACT DISC logo, the aad designation and an ULTRADISC logo.

I'm thinking there might be a difference between an ULTRADISC and an ULTRADISC II?

Harry

Harry, sounds like you and I have the same one. Mine on the back also has the Carpenters logo on the top left in white and the A&M logo in white on the bottom left side. Mine is a Ultradisc, disc is black with gold lettering at the very bottom in gold it says made in Japan, it's 24kt gold plated.

So what would be the difference between ULTRADISC and an ULTRADISC II?? Does that mean like a pressing 1 and pressing 2 of the disc?

I just did a little research and found that apparently the UD 1's were the first iteration of these titles and were pressed in Japan. The UD 2's came later and may have been pressed in the US.

There are arguments galore over whether UD1's are better than UD2's, some swearing they're identical, others swearing that they hear differences.

My suspicions are that the UD1's might be worth a bit more simply because they're older and more "original".

Harry

Interesting, would like to read comments from anyone that might have the US pressing. I imagine that since this one is sealed that will draw a higher price. So for them to press this from the original master, after they pressed this in Japan, then the master was sent to the US for the 2nd pressing II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom