• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

AI on Karen's voice on youtube

The first few I heard were awful but I have to say, people are getting closer and closer to something that sounds authentic.

The only one of these that I could've been 'almost' fooled by is We Won't Be Back Tomorrow. It's so close to that mid-70's style and there are parts of it that seem close. But still... it's just close.

I think for these to really work, you'd need an expert Karen Carpenter impersonator to give a Karen-esque take on a song, with the same kind of vibrato and style, and then you'd overlay the AI onto that voice. Otherwise, most of these are basically someone else's songs, with a Karen-sounding voice overlaid, but it in no way sounds how she'd interpret it if were really her.

The only AI clip that has truly stunned me is Ed Sheeran -- "Stand By Me." The reason it works is because the original track the AI overlays was done by someone who sounds a lot like Ed and whose interpretation is Sheeran-esque.

This one floored me. I've yet to see anyone accomplish a similar feat with Karen's voice.

most of these are basically someone else's songs, with a Karen-sounding voice overlaid, but it in no way sounds how she'd interpret it if were really her.

The timbre of Karen’s voice is there though, it does sound eerily like her, even though the vibrato and interpretation might not always be right.

This one floored me. I've yet to see anyone accomplish a similar feat with Karen's voice.

That one really is outstanding.

It won’t be long before lots of messy, protracted lawsuits start against the creators of this material by the real artists. As far as I’m aware, there’s no copyright law currently in existence that defines who would receive the royalties - the creator of the material or the original artist? It’s going to be interesting…

That one really is outstanding.

It won’t be long before lots of messy, protracted lawsuits start against the creators of this material by the real artists. As far as I’m aware, there’s no copyright law currently in existence that defines who would receive the royalties - the creator of the material or the original artist? It’s going to be interesting…
For sure.

We're in no-mans-land right now. But I can't imagine artists and creators are going to sit back and watch as people produce (and sell) entire AI albums.

What would be interesting would be if Richard were able to use this technology to complete or correct issues with some of the remaining unreleased recordings in the vault, as he'd know better than anyone how Karen would've done it...but on the other hand it's playing God a little and doesn't quite sit right either for me, as much as I'd love to hear whatever was left in the vault. No way he'd ever even contemplate it, I am sure.

It's a bit like those super touched up photos you can find online, they don't look real, and these tracks don't sound real, no matter how close they come.

It's a complex debate and I can see why SAG and the writers union are striking to protect their images and the human intervention. It is a big can of worms that needs agreed limits now or it'll take over the world. Interesting times!

To each his own, I suppose, but I can't imagine myself wanting to listen to a fake Karen when the real thing has already been recorded and is easily obtainable. And so far I've avoided all of these with no intentions of checking them out. They are fake - and worthless to me. I can only compare it to the situation of which would you rather have, a genuine $100 bill or a cleverly made counterfeit?

I am painfully aware that Karen is no longer with us, but I don't need to hear someone else's attempt at a fake voice singing songs that the real Karen never sang.

And that goes for really anyone else too. I have no need of a fake Sinatra, or a fake Elvis, or a fake John Lennon. The operative word there is "fake".

JoostSign.jpg

To each his own, I suppose, but I can't imagine myself wanting to listen to a fake Karen when the real thing has already been recorded and is easily obtainable...

I am painfully aware that Karen is no longer with us, but I don't need to hear someone else's attempt at a fake voice singing songs that the real Karen never sang.

And that goes for really anyone else too...
I agree with all of this completely. We'll said.

Ugh. These are abominable and people are littering the Carpenters Facebook pages with them.

I wouldn’t say they are abominable. To the untrained ear or the casual fan, some of these could pass for the real thing. Some that is, not all. I know, because I’ve played one or two of the better ones to friends. And the technology is getting better at a really fast pace.

When listening to Karen Carpenter AI, I not only miss her real and incredible voice but the RC arrangements. I miss the thoughtful and well executed background vocals and perfectly placed instrumentals!

AI is out of control. There are a bunch of "new" Cher song's. Not long before they get it right on Karen.

This isn't good. Cher's phrasing doesn't really match this and because of the tuning, it feels utterly fake to me. It's not convincing in the least bit to my ears.

Ed

AI is out of control. There are a bunch of "new" Cher song's. Not long before they get it right on Karen.
Don't think that will ever happen - there was something very unique and special about her tonal qualities that may be beyond artificial duplication - or so I hope.

But even if they do get it extremely close I won't be listening. As I said before, if she didn't record it in her all-to-brief lifetime I don't want to hear it.

One can only wish that such bastardized violations of personal autonomy are, or will be declared as, violations of copyright laws, or personal property, or something similar. Does one have the exclusive right to one's tonal qualities will singing?

Don't think that will ever happen - there was something very unique and special about her tonal qualities that may be beyond artificial duplication - or so I hope.

But even if they do get it extremely close I won't be listening. As I said before, if she didn't record it in her all-to-brief lifetime I don't want to hear it.

One can only wish that such bastardized violations of personal autonomy are, or will be declared as, violations of copyright laws, or personal property, or something similar. Does one have the exclusive right to one's tonal qualities will singing?
The issue I have with the AIs is future generations won't know the difference. The first wave of the Carpenters fans, who grew up with them in the early 70's, are dwindling. At some point don't the copyrights become public domain? Bowie put some of his old vault stuff on the internet for one night to keep the copyrights. Some of his unreleased songs from 1974 (the holy grail of Bowie fans) are on the Internet Archive for free download.

I hate the very idea of someone imitating Karen in this way. A computer may be able to duplicate a lot of the characteristics of her voice, but they have not captured her soul. Her heart and soul were in her singing, and I resent anyone who doesn't realize that.

Back
Top Bottom