⭐ Official Review [Album]: "MADE IN AMERICA" (SP-3723)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 14 13.1%

Votes: 26 24.3%

Votes: 40 37.4%

Votes: 22 20.6%

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the left-hand side of the Advertisement/Promotion,
I wish I were able to read what
"..the whole world is saying about Carpenters Made In America "
Unfortunately, for me, I am unable to ascertain what the'world' is saying.
Thanks, though, for the scans !
Very interesting.

Some of that looks non-English to me.

On the left-hand side of the Advertisement/Promotion,
I wish I were able to read what
"..the whole world is saying about Carpenters Made In America "
Unfortunately, for me, I am unable to ascertain what the'world' is saying.

The first is in French and the second in Japanese (bizarrely) but here are the rest, they're all from distributors and promoters worldwide:

“The Carpenters make music that appeals to the ‘adult contemporary consumers’. Lieberman has sold thousands of Carpenters’ records and tapes in the past and I’m personally looking forward to this upcoming release” – David Lieberman, Lieberman Enterprises

“We are anxiously awaiting Made In America by one of the greatest success stories in our business, The Carpenters. This time is right for a new album with their unique sound” – Fred Nash, Software Merchandising [illegible]

“Considering the millions of Carpenter records that we played an important part in selling over the last decade, and the audience that the Carpenters music appeals to, it is exciting for us to see a new Carpenters LP, bringing with it all the potential for success that we have come to expect from these talented recording artists” – David Hopkin, General Merchandise Manager, Pickwick Distribution Companies

“Aussie and Kiwi music fans eagerly await Made In America from Karen and Richard. Their unique and gifted musical talents have earned them many multi-platinum and gold awards Down Under” – Allen Hels, Managing Director, Festival Records

“It’s great to see the Carpenters back. Given their fantastic sales history, unique talents and the demographics of the shifting market place, this one could be their biggest yet” – Joe [illegible], Vide President purchasing, Camelot Music Corporation

“Name artists are always good for business. Especially when they have the ability to deliver a consistent quality of music. The Carpenters have the name and talent. We’re anxiously awaiting the release of Made In America and the response we know we’ll get for the consuming public” – Lou Fogelman, President, Shure Industries

Here's the best I can do on those first two:

Here's what the world
is saying about
CARPENTERS
MADE IN AMERICA

"The Carpenters de 1969 à 1978,
ils onf enregistré une diraine
d'albums, disques d'or dan le
monde entuer. Qui ne connait
Karen et Richard, le dno cheri-
des Etats-Unis? Ils reviennent
en force en 1981 avec leur nou-
veau disque. Made In America,
bourré des melodies dont ils on
le secret. Et de plus, les Carpen-
ters seront bientot de nouvelle la
plus excitante de l'année."

Allan Levy, President
CBS Disques S.A.
France

"'Carpenters' wa Nippon demo
sedai o koerte aisareteiru tagui-
marena 'Artist' desu. Karera no
shinpu Made In America wa ware-
ware go nagaku machinozon-
deita 'Album' de ari. '81-nen no
wadai wa subete koreni tsukiru-
koto wa machigainai de-ho."

Kunikiko Murai, President
Alfa Records, Inc.
Japan

Harry

Last edited:
"The Carpenters de 1969 à 1978,
ils onf enregistré une diraine
d'albums, disques d'or dan le
monde entuer. Qui ne connait
Karen et Richard, le dno cheri-
des Etats-Unis? Ils reviennent
en force en 1981 avec leur nou-
veau disque. Made In America,
bourré des melodies dont ils on
le secret. Et de plus, les Carpen-
ters leront lientot de nouvelle la
plus excitante de l'année."

Thanks Harry - here's how that translates:

"Between 1969 and 1978, the Carpenters have recorded countless albums and gold records around the world. Who doesn't know Karen and Richard, the cherished American duo? They are back in force in 1981 with their new album. Made In America is chock full of tunes they're waiting to share. What's more, they'll soon be back on tour. The best news of the year so far"

Thanks Harry - here's how that translates:

"Between 1969 and 1978, the Carpenters have recorded countless albums and gold records around the world. Who doesn't know Karen and Richard, the cherished American duo? They are back in force in 1981 with their new album. Made In America is chock full of tunes they're waiting to share. What's more, they'll soon be back on tour. The best news of the year so far"

You mean I actually got that right? Surely I made a typo somewhere. The original was so fuzzy I couldn't tell an "s" from a hyphen!

Harry

Just a shame Made in America was a commercial flop around the World.It only charted in The US,UK,Japan ane even then it was the lower end of the charts.

You mean I actually got that right? Surely I made a typo somewhere. The original was so fuzzy I couldn't tell an "s" from a hyphen!

Harry

Yeah aside from the odd typo pretty much all of it was spot on. Leront lientot is actually seront bientot. Well done as it wasn't easy to read the English never mind the French :)

By the way, did any of those commentators
actually get to listen to the 'new' album?
Those promo 'words' from around the world
are a bit lacking in actually detailing the album
Made in America.
They are as interesting for what they say
as for what they do not say.
And, 'America', where are your words?
This Promo seems as if an Ad of Johnson&Johnson
merchandise as promulgated by Wal-Mart Distribution.
In other words, that album was being promoted by
folks who had not listened to the album, they were folks
who made money off of Carpenters' sales in the past.
(Lieberman Enterprises,Software Merchandising, Pickwick Companies,
Festival Records, Camelot Music,Shure Industries)
Yes, I am a cynic.

By the way, did any of those commentators
actually get to listen to the 'new' album?
Those promo 'words' from around the world
are a bit lacking in actually detailing the album
Made in America.
They are as interesting for what they say
as for what they do not say.

It doesn't sound like they'd heard it to me. I could be wrong. Every one of them is bland in the extreme, not even a mention from them of the new single 'Touch Me When We're Dancing'.

And, I still question how much clout Jerry Weintraub had at this juncture.
Had American interviews been secured and ready to air at release time for Made In America,
could it have made more of a dent in USA Charts and sales, not to mention improving 'the image' ?
As reported in CFCN#69 February 1981:
"The new album is being mixed...expected to take up to six weeks..."
"The postponed television special is tentatively scheduled for some time in the fall." (What happened?).

There was quite a bit of time to secure radio and air time in the USA.
Even the European promo tour--if the Newsletters are an indication--came up rather suddenly.
(Not secured as of September, no October Newsletter, then this in #72 November:
"...were pleasantly surprised."
"...was not able to advise you beforehand as the confirmation of proposed European tour reached me too late to mention...")

Again, there are many interesting question surrounded this year: 1981
A most fascinating episode in Carpenters' history and career.

This Good Morning America interview is quite interesting.
Again, no advance announcement of this in the Newsletters.
The June 29th A&M Release Party is mentioned in #70 June Newsletter.
The August 22nd Telethon was mentioned in #71 September Newsletter.
November 1981 : " ...spent short time in NY en route to Europe to tape GMA interview."

Song4u, couldn't agree with you more.
Not only is the interview nerve-wracking,
but, seeing Karen in such decline is heart-wrenching.

This Good Morning America interview is quite interesting.
Again, no advance announcement of this in the Newsletters.
The June 29th A&M Release Party is mentioned in #70 June Newsletter.
The August 22nd Telethon was mentioned in #71 September Newsletter.
November 1981 : " ...spent short time in NY en route to Europe to tape GMA interview."

In fairness, this was an era in which information moved much more slowly than it does in the Internet age. I can't remember how often the newsletters were put out, but if there were only 4-5 a year, unless there was very solid advance warning of an upcoming TV performance/promotional trip, by the time the letters had been written, sent out and received, any such appearances might well have been old news.

In a way it's hard to remember how difficult it was to keep up with an artist's activities back then. The lack of advance warning in general meant you often wouldn't know an artist would be performing on a TV show unless you happened to have tuned in on the night, while the first time that you might know that a new single was out was by seeing it in the stores rather than hearing it on the radio or reading about it in the press.

Quite true. I can't tell you how many, particularly later, Carpenters albums I stumbled upon in stores. Somewhere in these pages I think I read something about LOVELINES being released in October of 1989. I know for sure that I didn't stumble upon it until later November - I had no idea it was out.

And the same for the album of MADE IN AMERICA. I know it was a few weeks before I discovered it. PASSAGE I got right away and HUSH I got right away. There just was no connection to an artist back then other than a fan club, and I was never a joiner of such things. I'd scour the TV Guide each week looking for stuff to watch and often spotted ads or Close-Ups that highlighted guest stars, etc. But for all I knew, Carpenters could have been doing an interview on a competing radio station and I would never have known.

Harry

In a way it's hard to remember how difficult it was to keep up with an artist's activities back then. The lack of advance warning in general meant you often wouldn't know an artist would be performing on a TV show unless you happened to have tuned in on the night, while the first time that you might know that a new single was out was by seeing it in the stores rather than hearing it on the radio or reading about it in the press.

How many times have we heard forum members recount stories of having no clue that Made In America was in the shops until they saw it on the racks?

Exactly my point, all.
I, too, stumbled upon the album while browsing the record store in 1981.
My only other point...there were no more radio interviews, there were no more television
spots. It's not that we missed them---they were not done.
A&M Records threw a welcome- back -to -the- scene party at the end of June 1981.
This was, presumably, a big deal for the recording company. The Comeback.
Where is Concerts West/Management Three? Where is this Hollywood go-getter, high flying Weintraub ?
I am not at odds with the Fan Club--they can only impart and communicate the information at hand.
But, what was happening here, in terms of USA promotion? In terms of A&M Marketing.
Garcia and Charlie Minor, the team at A&M ?
This, the Carpenters' most expensive album to produce. (Richard Carpenter)
There was tons of MIA Promo items: Posters (two kinds), Sun-Visors, Money Cube, Bumper Stickers,
Postcards, and lord knows what I have missed....
the point is, something misfired in this whole campaign.....

I note that the two minute audio promo spot , posted above,
was for the retail outlet Record Town.
June 30 1979 Billboard : " the fastest growing retail chain in the East."
January 23rd and February 20, 1982 Billboard : 37 Stores

Billboard Chartbeat issue Dec 19 1981 Those Good Old Dreams hits 82 on the top 100 billboard. 4 singles from Made in America hit the top 100 billboard. Nice article.

Billboard%20Chartbeat%20Made%20in%20America%20Charting%20Hits%20Dec%2019%201981%20.png~original

The Carpenter Official Site has this to say:
"Another favorite."
"On January 10, 1979, I entered a rehab clinic for six weeks to get off the damned sleeping pills.
I got off to a promising start and wanted to keep it that way, so I took the rest of the year off to relax,
recuperate and reassess things.
I did allow plenty of time to listen to the numerous songs still being submitted.
Karen, wanting to stay active, decided to become bi-coastal and record a solo album with producer Phil Ramone.
(For a number of reasons, Karen later decided not to release it.)
By early 1980 we were underway on “Made In America”,
and ended up recording far more tunes than would fit on one album."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom