• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

⭐ Official Review [Album]: "MADE IN AMERICA" (SP-3723)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 14 13.1%

Votes: 26 24.3%

Votes: 40 37.4%

Votes: 22 20.6%

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Want You Back In My zzzzzzzzzz" - "a sprightly, witty, mid-tempo pop-rocker?? Is. He. High? LOL! This was a waste of synth programming even then. It might have survived had it not been for Richard's insistence on sticking it in the elevator with those ridiculous strings that swamp the second chorus and every successive chorus thereafter. Do you want me to dance or mourn a roadie's lost puppy? The strings totally kill whatever trendy thing they were going for. I also loathe the fact that Karen's lead is never allowed to go it alone. It's double-tracked and swimming in reverb so that she sounds more like a female android than Karen Carpenter.

Ed

July 4, 1981, Billboard Magazine:
Paul Grein:
Richard ,"...likes the New album a lot more (than Passage)"
"They plan to do No Shows this year." ("We didn't book any dates")
"They cut tracks on Ten songs they wind up not using on Made In America, but may use on the next album."
"They intend to go right back in the Studio, rather then have another long lay-off".
Richard Carpenter:
" The tunes lend themselves more to my type of arrangement."
"I've never been one for label-bouncing. I'm a little superstitious in that way."
Karen Carpenter:
"The songs are right in the commercial vein..."

Source:
https://books.google.com/books?id=JiQEAAAAMBAJ

This must have been in response to a question. Maybe the interviewer was asking them, "Why not shop for a new label?" I'm not sure what would have prompted that, other than perhaps a question about seeking a new musical direction and thinking that a new label might offer more creative freedom. Dunno.

How many times have we heard forum members recount stories of having no clue that Made In America was in the shops until they saw it on the racks?
I think I made weekly trips, 30 & 60 minute drives, to record shops and, later, to malls in the 1970's and 80's. It was the only way to get new album releases. I subscribed to Circus, Cream, & Rolling Stone but they rarely carried forthcoming album release info. I was a country kid and lived out in the "sticks."

Randy

I think I made weekly trips, 30 & 60 minute drives, to record shops and, later, to malls in the 1970's and 80's. It was the only way to get new album releases. I subscribed to Circus, Cream, & Rolling Stone but they rarely carried forthcoming album release info. I was a country kid and lived out in the "sticks."

Randy
I had the same experience as Randy. When I bought Christmas Portrait on November 15, 1978, I didn't even know it was released until I looked at the wall of new releases at the Record Hut in Lansing, Michigan. It was that way for Passage, Made in America, Voice of the Heart,...

Save CLOSE TO YOU and TICKET...opening day of release was my quest and I succeeded thru everything since accept the happy unknowing stumble upon the original release of AS TIME GOES BY. Whether fan letter or hounding, literally ringing phones daily at local record shops I found and conquered. The same with singles. Release day for topic MIA came in a little sleepy town of Oakhurst Ca in the Sierra foothills with one copy and a massive poster that mysteriously came off the wall as soon as it was affixed, I trotted to my then home near Yosemite National Park and played side one with abandon and side two left me with (no expletive here as I'm courteous ever so) little umphhh as a comeback. Truuuuuuuuuufully I've never jollied to TOUCH ME WWD. Still the freshness was and the fact that Karen was still alive after eons of reports of rest, solo, no solo, long awaited album ugh. Still our girls final effort. Amen.

I've been listening to the 40th anny boxset in sequence and I'm at NOW & THEN. This early material particularly that of OFFERING surpass that of MIA in creativity and sound. Recently a friend remarked that OFFERING and PASSAGE were the most similar collection-wise and I agree. I do enjoy side one of MIA but side two certainly could've benefited from earlier inspiration showing CarpenterS in their aggressive element rather than the passivity represented on this release. Incidentally, I've really enjoyed these boxset tunes in their original form and yes, the shmcd is a treat...to me.

Jeff

Here is the album review from Billboard issue June 20, 1981

Billboard%20Carpenters%20MIA%20LP%20Review%20June%2020%201981.png~original

Here is the single review for Touch Me When Were Dancing from Billboard issue June 20, 1981

Billboard%20Carpenters%20Touch%20Me%20When%20Were%20Dancing%20Single%20Review%20June%2020%201981.png~original

Here is a really interesting article about Made in America and even has some solo talk from Karen on her album. I don't remember ever seeing this before.
Issue July 04, 1981

Billboard%20Carpenters%20MIA%20Second%20Wind%20Part%201%20July%2004%201981.png~original

Billboard%20Carpenters%20MIA%20Second%20Wind%20Part%202%20July%2004%201981.png~original

Billboard%20Carpenters%20MIA%20Second%20Wind%20Part%203%20July%2004%201981.png~original
Wow. Knowing what we know now, it's a shame Karen went along with that answer about her solo album. No one spends the kind of money, love and time she did (not necessarily in that order) on an album just because they're bored. Let alone just shelving it afterward. For all of the debating we've done here about true motivations, I think the truth went along with poor Karen.

That was an interesting interview. Thanks for posting Chris. :)

This is another fantastic "Letter to the Editor" found in Billboard issue Sept 05, 1981. This fan is most likely referring to the MIA review above by Paul Grein.

I hope Karen read this back then, I'm sure she read Billboard on her off days...for me it's a comfort to kind of read a letter like this, yeah it's really old stuff but to think that Karen probably read this and said how sweet that a fan thinks my voice is soothing and can make you forget all your problems in this world. How amazing that she is still doing this even today......

Billboard%20Carpenters%20Letter%20to%20Editor%20Sept%2005%201981.png~original

Can someone list for me the 10 songs Carpenters cut that didn't make it to Made in America? This is getting interesting....
There's actually 11:

1. Make Believe It's Your First Time
2. Two Lives
3. At The End Of A Song
4. Prime Time Love
5. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore
6. The Uninvited Guest
7. Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
8. All My Life
9. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
10. Why Don't They Understand
11. The Rainbow Connection

Why?
.... in the above Billboard Article-- and the 1983 Voice of the Heart Billboard Article,
was the need felt to reaffirm Carpenters' allegiance to A&M Records?
Richard Carpenter:
"I've never been one for label-bouncing." ( July 1981)
"I really don't want to break that association." (November 1983)

There must be something about each one that he doesn't like. Perhaps they aren't as "done" as he'd like them to be. Perhaps he really is just retired and feels like he's put in enough work already. We aren't entitled to anything more than what he decides we should have, really.

Ed

I suspect Richard is pretty happy with the legacy of recordings already out there and doesn't want to mess that up with any sub-standard recordings just because fans can't relax. And just maybe he's holding at least one track back for some future anniverary...

Are tracks 8, 9 and 10 still sitting the vault? Seriously, I'll never get why Richard just wants them to uselessly sit there when so many people can enjoy and will pay money for them.
Those three tracks are finished & still sitting in the vault. Richard considered them for possible release 20-30+ years ago-but subsequently changed his mind.

There are actually enough finished tracks in the vault for another album-but these are all tracks that Richard doesn't like for one reason or another,hence the reason they've never been released.

The fact that Richard included two instrumental tracks on As Time Goes By was a telltale sign that there were no other vocal tracks he desired to release.

Last edited:
Regards Cd: As Time Goes By, the output on that cd consists of 15 tracks.
And, as described in the Liner Notes by Richard Carpenter , dated year 2000---
Two Demos (NoWhere Man and California Dreamin')
Two Outtakes (Leave Yesterday Behind and Rainbow Connection)
Eleven from Television Specials--inclusive the Instrumentals .

As the Liner Notes are dated year 2000, my assumption--at that time--
would have been that any finished vocals from vault material were simply being held back
until the time was ripe.
Now, with the passage of some fifteen years, I'd say it is finished.
(That is, I have no expectations of any more vocal releases.)

Again, I defer to Richard's comments in December 1983, that Carpenters did not record substandard material.
Quote: "I'm too proud of our work to be doing anything like releasing outtakes." (Lewiston Daily Sun, 8 Dec 1983).
And, November 23rd, regarding LP Voice of The Heart--
Quote: "These are definitely not outtakes." (Nevada Daily Mail, 1983).

...Carpenters...
All part of History.

That assumes a level of knowledge about him that you can't possibly have. Richard is the custodian of an entire legacy. Fans all over the world look forward to whatever he releases. He's already stated in an interview Chris May did that he's "done". He's allowed to be done. He's been at this for a very long time. His sister passed away and he didn't stop releasing material featuring her voice until just a few years ago. On top of this, much of his recorded legacy burned up in careless fashion in the Universal fire. I can't even begin to imagine how that must have felt. Most importantly, he has family. He's allowed to put Carpenters behind him and enjoy them as fully and for as long as he wishes.[/quote]

In short, if he's done, we should accept that an celebrate what he's already given us. Insinuating that he's a control freak is pretty silly, honestly. If he feels what remains is substandard, he's within his right to think that and to keep those tracks sealed up. He's not obligated in any way to put them out if he chooses not to.

Ed

I am always a bit perplexed on the intended meaning of this terminology: " Outtake".
That is, the term appears to be subjective and time dependent .
In 1983, nothing on Voice of the Heart was considered 'inferior' . (The News Quotes, above).
As time progressed, the outlook on those songs changed completely. (see the Official Website).
And, of course, some of the songs left off of Made In America surpassed in quality
some of those which were included on that Album. (To wit: Kiss Me.. and Uninvited Guest ).
And, again, some of the As Time Goes By material is couched in terminology (in the Liner Notes)
which specifically say 'Outtake' ( Rainbow Connection, Leave Yesterday Behind).
I believe-- and, this is only speculation--the Big Fire, coupled with Universal Music's mind-boggling
stupidity in properly marketing Carpenters catalog to maximize awareness and profitability,
has perhaps (?) given Richard Carpenter all the reason needed to say 'Goodbye' to "the business".
Granted, I'd love to hear some of the Vaulted Songs, but, I do understand --or, at least, pretend to
understand--the emotional well-spring this entails.
(That being said, I can not imagine that what remains would not be awesome !).
Nothing can compare to Karen's interpretation of any song.

Abraham Pais , Subtle is The Lord--The Science And The Life of Albert Einstein (Oxford,1982,page 164):
"...The questions themselves are part of History. Their answers are beyond History.
I shall not entirely refrain from indulging in a bit of extra-historical speculation regarding the answers."

On the "Sweet Memory Disc#6 , Someday,"
The CD Credits say: "Because We Are In Love" arranged by Peter Knight.
The LP Sleeve says: "Arranged by Richard Carpenter and Orchestrated by Peter Knight.
Am I missing something?

On the "Sweet Memory Disc#6 , Someday,"
The CD Credits say: "Because We Are In Love" arranged by Peter Knight.
The LP Sleeve says: "Arranged by Richard Carpenter and Orchestrated by Peter Knight.
Am I missing something?

Hey Gary,

It took me years to get my head around the difference between arrangement and orchestration. . .until I realized how simple it was. Anything involving the orchestra is orchestration. Any instrument not usually found in an orchestra (piano/bass/drums/guitar) is classed as arrangement.

Having said that, I can detect none of Richard's skills on The Wedding Song, so I'm guessing it's either a contractual thing. . .or an ego thing. Or maybe he sketched out some musical ideas which Knight used as a jumping off point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom