Alibis on Youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortnee

This was just added to Youtube a day ago. It's Sergio & Co. performing Alibis on Solid Gold in 1984.

Sergio:Keys
Joe:Lead vocals
Ernie Watts:Sax & tamborine
Ron powell:tongue:ercussion
Alan Diaz:Drums
Marieetta Waters & Siedah Garrett:Backup Vocalists
Unknown man on bass.( Identify please?)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfXnoi5bKTs

Too bad it's a lipsync. Most shows then were though. "Midnight Special" was usually live, but by the time this song came along, so much of most artists' sound was "studio created" that it was hard to replicate on TV.

The thing that bugs me the most about lipsyncs is when the song fades out. Sounds so unnatural and just screams out that you've been watching a lipsync. You'd think they could've just created an "ending" in the studio when the song was first recorded for later use on stage!

What I love on the B66 lip-synching tv appearances is when they cut to Janis or Karen when it's obviously Lani singing. And I still can't believe the "That Heat" video, where Lani changed races. :)

wow, nice Member's Only jacket... and like the mullet, too.

the 80s just weren't friendly to many people.

Trevor said:
...the 80s just weren't friendly to many people.

The 80s were my favorite decade. I look back on it the way my parents look back at the 50s. The Music, the Fashion, Reagan, the Movies, My early career (Navy and Civilian), my first home purchase, first travels around the world. Ah, I'd relive it all again if I could. :)

There were a lot of things about the '80s I liked. I guess I was a case of arrested development in the '70s, even though I graduated high school in '74, I didn't really start making a lot of friends until the late '70s/early '80s. Therefore I had a lot more fun during that decade than I did in the '70s. I do think '70s music was better though. (Am listening to some '70s Steely Dan as I type this.)

The synthesizer boom ruined a lot of '80s music. I think Herb Alpert's BULLISH could have been a great album if not for all the synths, and to drag this back toward the topic, Sergio Mendes would have been better in that decade had he had less electronics in his music.

An unhappy decade to me, too... I missed the '70's...

Liked Ronnie, though... But, AIDS and Drug Prevention kind'a spoiled the fun...

Dave

Dave said:
Drug Prevention kind'a spoiled the fun...

:freak: :twitchy: Whoa! That explains a lot :twitchy: :freak:

:laugh:

--Mr Bill
who's never used any drug not purchased legally over the counter or prescribed by his doctor (and proud of it, which also explains a lot)!

Hey, it was nice to see the Solid Gold Dancers again. So long ago and yet, I noticed my favorite immediately.

Mike

I am surprised they haven't done a "best of" for Solid Gold. It could be 2 sets... 1. Marilyn McCooDVDs and 2. Dionne Warwick(e)DVDs

Was andy gibb on that too? Rex Smith and Rick Dees don't get a DVD.

We could also do That's incredible and Real people too. People will buy anything on DVD (it seems)

I just asked a simple question and noone has answered it. Why?
I don't know everything. I thought the purpose of this forum was for everyone to express their opinions and to share their knowledge with one another.By the way I have Asperger's and that is why I express myself the way I do.From time to time some peoplre have given me a hard way to go in this forum because I have done something to make them feel offended,which by the way is unintentional.When I express my opinions and share my knowledge I do it the best way that I know how.So I would appreciate it when i ask a question, it would be expected to get an answer.
Thank you.

Cortnee said:
I just asked a simple question and noone has answered it. Why?
I don't know everything. I thought the purpose of this forum was for everyone to express their opinions and to share their knowledge with one another.By the way I have Asperger's and that is why I express myself the way I do.From time to time some peoplre have given me a hard way to go in this forum because I have done something to make them feel offended,which by the way is unintentional.When I express my opinions and share my knowledge I do it the best way that I know how.So I would appreciate it when i ask a question, it would be expected to get an answer.
Thank you.

I reread your post, Cortnee, and the only question I saw asked for identification of the bassist in the video; am I correct? Maybe nobody knows who he is, and the folks here decided to talk about the song itself.

It's really hard to see faces in that video. The bassist almost looks like Buzz Feiten, but he doesn't play bass. Since they're "lip synching" (and "finger synching"), maybe Buzz showed up to hold a bass and pretend that day. :)

Cortnee said:
...I just asked a simple question and no-one has answered it... ...Why?!

Uhhhh...--All this over a Bass Player...!!! :wtf: Maybe we need to hear from "the guy who roomed with him"...! :laugh:

Anyway, I played the video and both that and the song really take me back... Yeah, "Alibis" was an equally good post-runner of "Never Gonna Let You Go" (which recently made it to a Michelin tire commercial...) The band seems soooo into playing the song and everybody seems to be contributing to the background vocals (I mean, at least Sergio is, anyway) so that's one hint that this is "Sync'd"...

Sorry I can't identify the bass player, either; but what a fun video to watch, even if it is SYNC'ed GOLD...!!! :laugh:

Dave

Wow, I remember that video from when I was just a child. My father is Alan Diaz (Drummer). He left when I was 2 years old to play with Sergio and tour the world. He never came back..lol I grew up watching him on T.V though. Merv Griffin and such. Anyway, that video brought back some old memories I had. It was cool to see! Thanks all....

Veracity, your father is Alan Diaz right. Is your mother Marietta? Or was she your stepmother? Did you ever go out on the road with your father? If so, would you be willing to share your memories of life on the road with Sergio Mendes? I'm sure that everyone would be interested in hearing some stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom