Alpert/Masekela

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardWarner

Contributor
So by my reckoning, two titles are absent from this conversation.

"Just You and Me," which in my opinion brings up the rear of Herb's catalog (except for its first two cuts). My college roommate was an A&M collegiate rep when this came out. He gave me his first copy and said, "I hear it's pretty awful." The album was released after Herb lost his father and those who have been there know how difficult life can be following the death of a parent. My copy is still pristine from lack of use. Maybe its downtrodden mood is why "Just You and Me" is not on the list of releases.

But why isn't the studio Herb and Hugh album included? It holds up well...

Anybody know? Bueller? Bueller?

From the A&M label, these remain unaccounted for in the latest round of reissues. Perhaps they'll show up in time.

JUST YOU AND ME
HERB ALPERT - HUGH MASEKELA
BLOW YOUR OWN HORN (& NOCHE DE AMOR)
BULLISH
WILD ROMANCE
UNDER A SPANISH MOON
MY ABSTRACT HEART
NORTH ON SOUTH STREET

Harry

Lost Treasures makes nine, although it is still a recent enough release. Rewhipped...yeah, that could be #10 although it, too, is still recent. But, with the exception of Just You and Me and Noche's few different tracks (I actually think that album flows better than Blow), all of these titles have been available in digital format at one point or another. Sure I'd love to see them, but as I already have digital copies (and of course, my go-to vinyl versions), I'm cool with the status quo if that's how it plays out.

I'm still looking for a completely flawless WLP of Just You and Me, or at least a sealed copy, one of these days.

On the Almo side - don't forget Second Wind. I'm starting a personal campaign for that one. :D

I'm kinda curious what will happen to the Lost Treasures tracks, along with the two bonus tracks from Whipped Cream's Shout! edition. And there is still the list of other tracks that have come out on singles, or whatever - stuff like "Desert Dance" or the sometimes-rumored Sol Lake tunes that have never surfaced.

But, as Steve has said, Randy has a "ton of projects" going so maybe some kind of larger reissue of Lost Treasures is planned, or something.

Randy is indeed very busy as a remix engineer, so squeezing in the Herb Alpert work was a labor of love on his part. I wouldn't mind seeing the other A&M B-sides officially released but I wonder if the tapes are even available for those anymore (just like mono versions of the albums).

As Im Looking forward to finally seeing the rare 70s albums come out on cd. ( Hopefully "Just you and me" and the studio album of "Herb and Hugh" in the future.) It will interesting to compare my vinyl versions to the cds. I haven't missed any of Herb's releases yet. And since my local stores wont bother getting them i have made amazon. My "Go to " store these days. Its much more reliable and the merchandise arrives very quickly.

We will have all the links here, as they are released, in our Official Review threads. These will be tied into the updated tijuanabrass.com discography which will have links to various sources. Good times ahead!

We will have all the links here, as they are released, in our Official Review threads. These will be tied into the updated tijuanabrass.com discography which will have links to various sources. Good times ahead!
"YES INDEED RUDY"! Good times are truly ahead.

The one I'm still waiting for is JYAM. I really don't know why this gets such a bad press. It's one of my favourites. I was lucky enough to get a (fairly rare?) CD of HAHM quite a while ago.

Stephen

The HAHM album i have is a very clean pristine seldom played vinyl Copy i purchased mine at a musicland store in a mall in Tacoma Washington in November 1984 for $4.99 plus tax and i made a needle drop of it on CDR over a decade ago So even if it doesn't get Reissued digitally at least i will still have it in its original form and it still sounds awesome even as a needledrop. It still stands up well to this day as well as all of Herb's albums both TJB & solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom