• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Another Alpert Rip-Off On eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I've noticed that there's been a couple of 8x10 photos of the TJB on eBay that are supposedly "autographed" by the members of the band. But this is a farce! What they are doing is taking the member's signatures from the back side of the Christmas Album and inserting them onto the photos, which are copies to begin with. Just a heads up!

Capt. Bacardi

Oh jeez. :rolleyes: Too bad we don't know who the copyright owner is on those photos. Unauthorized reproductions? Against eBay policy.

Not sure about the Herb photo but the band photo with signatures as part of the photo was a standard A&M Promo item in the mid 60s -- it's not as if this seller has created a photo and pasted in the signatures from SP4166 himself to make a quick buck. He has a genuine stock promo item for sale so I say it's legit. He probably had a relative working at A&M's A&R dept in the day and when they died he likely found a box of photos that relative may have taken home. Just my 2c worth...

--Mr Bill

I have the same stock photo without the signatures. It's just that the signatures are exactly like the ones on the Xmas LP. The Herb photo does look legit, and wasn't trying to say that one was a fake. But I'm not buying the group photo at all. Of course, it is a little hard to be 100% sure just by looking at it on the website. But this looks real fishy to me.

Capt. Bacardi

hi all, I am writing to second it. the photo on ebay with herb standing alone holding his trumpet. I would say that is herb's autograph becasue that is is same one I got from the fan club . and has the same writing. does any one have that photo. becasue mine has a fold in so I would like to get another one. and the one with the band members as shown on ebay
bob papp

May have been a rubber stamp the promo department used, or reproduced it another way.

My mother once sent away for an autographed postcard of some handsome young actor named Ronnie Reagan. She got one back in the mail. About a week later, she got a second one, and she could tell (since the message was personalized) that he actually signed the second one...no reproduction signature on this one. It appears she didn't keep the "stock" version, but she did frame the "real" one and I actually have it around here in one of many boxes I've hauled over from the house.

The seller does not state that they are original signatures. In fact, he says that one is printed and the other stamped. So I don't really see any deception. Both are nice pictures, especially the one of the whole group. I lost out on a color picture of that same shot a while back because of a last second sniper.

David,
going back to surf eBay........

However, if these are printed reproductions, they are still not legal to sell, eBay or anywhere else. My only concern about reproductions is the quality. If it's someone with photo paper on an $80 inkjet printer, I'd feel ripped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom