• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

AOTW: Charles Lloyd - Waves (SP-3044)

How Do You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Charles Lloyd -
Waves

SP-3044

sp3044.jpg

Produced by Charles Lloyd

Format: Vinyl, CD (reissued as CD0828)

Released 1972

Tracks:
  • 1. TM (5:03)
    2. Pyramid (Tom Trujillo & Charles Lloyd) (7:06)
    3. Majorca (6:09)
    4. Harvest (9:05)
    5. Waves (5:14)
    6. Rishikesha (Charles Lloyd & Michael Love) (5:13)
    (a) Hummingbird
    (b) Rishikesh
    (c) Seagull

All songs composed by Charles Lloyd except where indicated.

Personnel:

Charles Lloyd - Tenor Sax, Alto Flute, Flute, Voice
Gabor Szabo, Roger McGuinn, Tom Trujillo - Guitar
Wolfgang Melz, Robert Miranda - Bass
Woodrow Theus II - Drums & Percussion
Mayuto - Percussion
Michael Love, Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, Billy Hinsche, Pamela Holland - Voices

Art Direction & Photography by Roland Young
Illustrations by Masami Teraoka
Design by Chuck Beeson

Special Thanks To: Rob Heller, Jerry Rubenstein, Herb & Lani, Henry & Nadine, Michael Jackson and Peter Coonradt.

* Note * The next number in the 3000 Series was designated to Thad Jones & Mel Lewis for Suite For Pops (SP-3043), but was never released under this number. Instead it was the first release on Horizon Records (SP-701). We'll discuss this album when we start the Horizon series in a couple of months or so.

Capt. Bacardi

To the best of my knowledge "SP 3042" does not exist, and the 3000 series ends after SP 3047 (LOVE, TOGETHERNESS AND DEVOTION -- actually released as SP 3602).
JB

LPJim said:
To the best of my knowledge "SP 3042" does not exist, and the 3000 series ends after SP 3047 (LOVE, TOGETHERNESS AND DEVOTION -- actually released as SP 3602).

That leaves us with only 2 more albums from the 3000 Series. JB, go to the Moderator Forum for some suggestions for afterwards. :wink:

As for this Charles Lloyd album, I had just found this on CD at the last record show. I like this album a lot! It's not any breakthrough jazz album, but it has this light freeness about it, sort of quasi-modal (and wasn't he in the Hunchback of Notre Dame? :D ). Lloyd plays some incredible flute and sax on most tunes, and Gabor Szabo sounds great throughout. The title tune has the most pop appeal to it. Even the Beach Boys lend a hand on "T.M.".

Makes me want to go and find his Geeta album now! :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Charles Lloyd - Waves

Charles Lloyd -
Waves

SP-3044

sp3044.jpg

Lloyd With Byrd-McGuinn
Gabor Szabo, Beach Boys, Too!
Wow! A Neat Album!

Had this on the LAST original Digipak CD--and ONLY one I've ever seen USED in their FIRST Run. Guess there must'a been some HOARDING going on among A&M Jazz/A&M/CTi Digipak CD collectors, eh! :tongue:

The best moments are ALL Szabo's, in my opinion. He does good on the title track (with The each Boys singing: TEEE-EMMM, TEEE-EMMM...), "Harvest" (which is a LOT like Lloyd's "Passin' Through", he and Szabo performed and recorded with Chico Hamilton on impulse! in the sixties!) and "Majorca", which was frequently played by Gabor Szabo under numerous titles starting off entitled "El Toro", with Hamilton, and on numerous Gabor Szabo solo albums as "Bacchanal", "Los Matadores", and "Macho"(--Yeah, "Macho Man"!, joked someone who saw me playing this after I told him what song I was playing... :laugh: )

Gabor Szabo actually played on a couple of Charles Lloyd albums in the sixties, so this album is a bit of a reunion for both of them. I think there is another Charles Lloyd album before or after this one that those members of The Beach Boys appear on, as well--interesting story THESE colllaborations might be.

WAVES was recorded at A&M and Gary Ullmer's MRI (Music Recorders, Inc.--Not Michigan Radiology Institutions (Industries?) ... :laugh: )

Dave

P.S. There's a "thank you" to HERB & LANI in the credits...And that Michael Jackson is NOT that Michael Jackson :evil: , but the one who produced Paul Williams, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom