• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Herb Alpert - North On South St. (A&M CD-5345)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 8 44.4%

Votes: 4 22.2%

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Herb Alpert
NORTH ON SOUTH ST.

A&M CD-5345

sp5345.jpg

Released 1991

Format: CD/Vinyl/Cassette

Executive Producer: Chris Boyd

Songs and Musicians:
  • Herb Alpert - All Trumpets

1. Jump Street (Greg Smith/Herb Alpert) - 4:47
    Greg Smith - Keyboards, Bass, Guitar
    Joe Rotondi - Acoustic Piano
    Kevin Ricard - Percussion
    Produced by Herb Alpert and Greg Smith

2. It's The Last Dance (Herb Alpert/Greg Smith) - 4:37
    Greg Smith - All instruments except trumpet

3. Passion Lady (Troy Staton/Herb Alpert/Marc Jay Goodman/Mike Schlesinger) - 4:47
    Troy Staton - Drums, Bass and Keyboard programming
    Marc Jay Goodman - Keyboards and interlude solos
    Mike Schlesinger - Synthesizer Programming
    Produced by Herb Alpert and Troy Staton

4. North On South St. (Herb Alpert/Greg Smith) - 3:37
    Greg Smith - All instruments except trumpet and voices
    Herb Alpert - Voice

5. Paradise 25 (Robert Jerald/Herb Alpert) - 4:21
    Robert Jerald - All instruments except trumpet
    Produced by Herb Alpert and Robert Jerald

6. Na Na Na (Greg Smith/Herb Alpert) - 4:16

7. Funky Reggae (Jimmy B/Herb Alpert) - 4:51
    Jimmy B - Drum Programming
    Kenny McCloud - Guitar
    Tony Sapp - Bass
    Voices: Michelle James, Lynette Lewis, Jimmy B, Karen "K-Dean" Cover, Stacye Branche, Vatrena King, Linda Williams, Janeen Jewett and Karim Harris
    Produced by Herb Alpert and Jimmy B

8. Where's Tommy? (Herb Alpert/Jimmy B/Eddie del Barrio) - 4:01
    Drum programmed by Chris Boyd, Herb Alpert and Steve Smith
    Eddie del Barrio - Bass and Keyboards
    Brenda Andrews - Sampled Voice ("Where's Tommy?")
    Produced by Herb Alpert and Steve Smith

9. City Terrace (Herb Alpert/Greg Smith) - 4:11

10. I Can't Stop Thinking About You (Herb Alpert) - 5:09
    Drum programmed by Herb Alpert and Kenny McCloud
    Herb Alpert - Keyboards
    Greg Smith - Keyboards
    Eddie del Barrio - Keyboards and Strings
    Produced by Herb Alpert

Recorded at A&M Records - Studio C
Engineered by Steve Smith
Assistant engineer: Mike Baumgartner
Remixed at Soundworks West
Remixed by Steve Smith and Mike Morengell
Assistant engineer: Tom Hardisty
Mastered by Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios

Art Direction/Design: Chuck Beeson
Photography: Caroline Greyshock

Capt. Bacardi

This album has always been strange for me. Sometimes when I listen to it, I have to turn it off after just a few minutes. Other times I listen to it with some enjoyment, not even realizing which album it is. Obviously, it just depends on my mood.

Phil

I'm the same way, Phil. When I first bought the album, I listened to it once, ascertained that I didn't like it, and filed it away. After signing on here at A&M Corner, I was urged to give it another listen, and found it to be much better than I'd remembered, though it still is a mood thing. If I'm looking for classic Herb Alpert, it won't do at all, but the same can be said for many of Herb's solo albums. So when the mood strikes me for something a bit on the funkier side, this is a good album to put on.

There's a nifty remix on the single "Jump Street" called the Brighton Daze Remix. It features Yvonne de la Vega on lyrics and vocal rap, and I like the way it turned out - and I like it better than the LP version. On the maxi single there are five tracks:

Brighton Daze remix, radio edit
LP Version, radio edit
Brighton Daze extended remix
Brighton Daze remix
Ubiquity Remix

The first track with the radio edit remix is also available on the Canadian/UK compilation THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT.

Harry

There's also a terrific remix of "North On South St." that contains a longer trumpet solo by Herb, and he really wails on this remix. It was commerically available on both vinyl and CD. The remixes were as follows:

LP Version
Massive Sound 12"
Massive Sound 7"
Late Night Massive Sound Remix
Hip Housed Out 12"
Deep Dub Version
Deep House Main Mix 12"

The Massive Sound 12" was the better version IMHO and was a great groove. Incidentally, when this album came out Billboard had a front page story about how this album was the very first jazz/hip-hop album to be released, even beating Miles Davis's Doo-Bop album by a couple of months. Both "Jump Street" and "North On South St." videos were in heavy rotation on BET, and "North On South St." made it to an episode of Beavis and Butthead.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Incidentally, when this album came out Billboard had a front page story about how this album was the very first jazz/hip-hop album to be released, even beating Miles Davis's Doo-Bop album by a couple of months.

Miles and Herb were on the same page. :agree: Unfortunately Doo-Bop was an unfinished work, completed after his passing. (IIRC, some songs were built around Miles' trumpet solos.) I wonder how it would have come out if Miles had been able to hear the works in progress.

Rudy said:
Unfortunately Doo-Bop was an unfinished work, completed after his passing. (IIRC, some songs were built around Miles' trumpet solos.)

I think you're right, Rudy. If I remember what I read correctly, Miles recorded the theme and some improvisation, then laid-down some drum machine backbeats - remember, at this point he was willing to let even rap influences into his work, because some of the personnel were rap "artists" in their own right. IMO, the song "Mystery" is pretty good.

Rudy said:
It's a little amusing to see Joe Rotondi on the keyboards here--back in the 80s, he released an album called Polka Changed My Life Today, and the title track was indeed a polka. :D

I believe he and others (siblings?) had a band called simply "Rotondi" which featured the amazing "Poolside Polka." Their music was featured in several episodes of Ren & Stimpy. GREAT NEWS: their LP Polka Changed My Life Today has been re-released and is available now!

Another modern "Polka Band" I like is Brave Combo out of Austin Texas (Cap'n B's neighborhood). Their style isn't limited to polka, but it's a part of thier canon! Check 'em out at http://www.brave.com ...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
I believe he and others (siblings?) had a band called simply "Rotondi" which featured the amazing "Poolside Polka." Their music was featured in several episodes of Ren & Stimpy. GREAT NEWS: their LP Polka Changed My Life Today has been re-released and is available now!

You're right--the band was called Rotondi. :agree: I saw that on Amazon a month or two ago--I sent the link to my buddy, since the song "Polka Changed My Life Today" was featured in an episode of Crime Story back in 1986. (Rotondi lip-synced to the music in a Vegas appearance, since the story line moved to Vegas at the time.) I may pick that thing up just for curiosity's sake! :D There was an EP out in the late 80s but I never bought it.

Captain Bacardi said:
8. Where's Tommy? (Herb Alpert/Jimmy B/Eddie del Barrio) - 4:01
Drum programmed by Chris Boyd, Herb Alpert and Steve Smith
Eddie del Barrio - Bass and Keyboards
Brenda Andrews - Sampled Voice ("Where's Tommy?")
Produced by Herb Alpert and Steve Smith

I doubt it's the same person, but the drum programming and the name Steve Smith remind me of the jazz group Vital Information that was founded by former Journey drummer Steve Smith. What are the chances?

When I first got this album I thought the same thing about Steve Smith, but later found out it was just another young hip-hop guy from L.A.

One other note about Joe Rotondi and percussionist Kevin Ricard - they both were in Herb's band during the Passion Dance tour.

Capt. Bacardi

As far as the music goes, I think this is a very hip album, and I thought it would do better on the charts. Herb was really getting into the Miles Davis mode with all of the muted trumpet parts, but they work really well on this album. "Jump Street" has a great little groove to it, and the melody is the perfect Alpert sound. I like the interplay between the muted and open horn towards the end of the song. "North On South St." is another killer track, although I prefer the 12" mix on this one. "Na Na Na" is probably my favorite track, and I think Herb plays one of his more memorable jazz solos on this track. Definitely a Miles-ish tune! :wink: "Where's Tommy" has a very urban TJB sound to it. "City Terrace" is just a gorgeous little tune, and I enjoy the wistful "I Can't Stop Thinking About You", although it does get a little too MIDI at times. It's not a perfect album by any means. "Passion Lady" just annoys me, and "Paradise 25" has its moments, but Herb kind of lays low on this song. Still, I would put this is the Top 5 Alpert solo albums.

Capt. Bacardi

Will Smith did the song "Gettin' Jiggy With It" (from the CD "Big Willie Style") when he used the "Na, Na, Na" chorus. :mad: Of all the Herb solo albums, "North On South St." was one of the worst of his career. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I first knew about this album when they played Passion Lady on Jazz FM and, as the track played out (by which time I'd already worked out who it was on trumpet!), the DJ said that Herb alpert was taking jazz in a new direction for the 1990's.

I never really took to this album when it first came out (although gravitated twowards tracks like Passion Lady, North on South Street, Jump Street, City Terrace and I Can't Stop Thinking About You). It's still not top my list of favourites - I just can't get into Where's Tommy! - but I dig it out from time to time.

How strange that such an (with retropect) innovative album was followed by alpert's most traditional solo album (and one of my favourites). I wonder how many other artists have been able to shift their style so radically from one album to another.

Stephen

Of all Herb's "post-Fandango" LPs this is one I like better than most others (Keep Your Eye On Me is another). Like many, I have to be in the mood. Not because I have an affinity for "Hip-Hop" or anything, this one has catchy melodies and interesting arrangements. I can't say the same for Wild Romance, Midnight Sun, Spanish Moon, My Abstract Heart or the three ALMOSounds releases (though there's always at least one song on each I thoroughly enjoy).

--Mr Bill

when i first heard this album,quite frankly i was turned off to it.it seems herb was trying to gain a more youthful audience,like what with qunicy jones did with back on the block.however,time gives things a second chance.now i really enjoy this album!at the time,i didn't see the historical importance of the album,but now when i look back,the cd in a way led us to the innovative "chill"sound so largely propagated by another trumpeter chris botti among others,also the acid jazz sound that was the rage in so-called smooth jazz circles in the nineties.it's not one of my favorite alpert cds,but i've come to like more and more with each listen.

This great recording demostrates that Herb can re-invent himself much the way Miles did. You can't stop talent like Herb's. I think his most dramatic "re-invention" was when he sang "This Guy's In Love With You". At that point a circle was closed as he began as a vocalist with RCA. The "Lonely Bull" was another re-invention. "Zazueira" reveals his love of Brazilian sounds. On "Jesu Joy Of Mans Desiring", we here a totally new Herb. Dittos for "Jerusalem", in which we hear a different more solemn Herb. "Wade In The Water" reveals a jazzy/bluesier side to the man. "Rise" reveals disco era touches, and daring use of studio wizardry. Music's renaissance man is named Herb Alpert. Few people have done so much for music.

There's also a terrific remix of "North On South St." that contains a longer trumpet solo by Herb, and he really wails on this remix. It was commerically available on both vinyl and CD. The remixes were as follows:

LP Version
Massive Sound 12"
Massive Sound 7"
Late Night Massive Sound Remix
Hip Housed Out 12"
Deep Dub Version
Deep House Main Mix 12"

The Massive Sound 12" was the better version IMHO and was a great groove. Incidentally, when this album came out Billboard had a front page story about how this album was the very first jazz/hip-hop album to be released, even beating Miles Davis's Doo-Bop album by a couple of months. Both "Jump Street" and "North On South St." videos were in heavy rotation on BET, and "North On South St." made it to an episode of Beavis and Butthead.

Capt. Bacardi

Reviving a seven-year old thread:

This is one set of Alpert mixes that I never managed to find - until today. I found a CD version on eBay that wasn't too unreasonably pricey. Not as bad as the other one up there that's North of $70. The one I found was South of $30.

I listened to a couple of these mixes that were put up on YouTube and find that I agree with the Captain - the Massive Sound Mixes are better than what was placed on the album. I'm looking forward to having this as well as my "Jump Street" mixes on hand.

Harry

I wonder if there's enough material for a solo "Lost Treasures" compilation?

Oh, there are plenty of solo remixes to make a multi-disc compilation. The problem is the repetitive nature of the same song in its mutliple mixes, and some are just edits of longer versions. I have most of the 12" mixes and discovered I still needed these. The nice thing about having someone put them on YouTube is that it's another avenue where you can preview something before committing to buy it.

Harry

I swore I had that one...maybe I have it on vinyl? That's the problem with having one's collection primarily stored in moving boxes.

I think I had tried to assemble a CD of 12" remixes (only the primary mix, not the dub mixes). There may be enough for two discs. There are some neat remixes out there, and others are rather lukewarm. But, it's a nice way to hear new versions of existing tracks. Love the "Cool Summer Mix" of "Diamonds," which mirrors a couple of other Jam/Lewis productions that released cool summer mixes of hit songs.

Another modern "Polka Band" I like is Brave Combo out of Austin Texas (Cap'n B's neighborhood). Their style isn't limited to polka, but it's a part of thier canon! Check 'em out at http://www.brave.com ...

--Mr Bill

Joe Rotondi is in no way related to the "Rotondi" polka band--in fact, none of the members are named Rotondi. Corrected my post above to fix that issue. I found a sealed copy of the Polka Changed My Life Today EP a few months ago. The lead singer, in fact, played a bit part on The Sopranos.

That EP is a lot of fun, BTW. :)

:)

Check out Brave Combo. I think they have some stuff on You Tube.

Another one (not polka-related) is Pianosaurus. They only did one album (on Rounder, same place Brave Combo started), unlike BC who are still recording and performing. Pianosaurus played toy instruments -- the kind you can buy at Toys'R'Us -- and it has a nice sound...

I figured when i purchased my copy of north on south street in 91 i would at least find a stand out or two i agree its not your usual alpert solo lp neither was under a spanish moon but city terrace and i cant stop thinking about you were more like the standard alpert material one would expect and alpert would do an excellent encore of i cant stop thinking about you on second wind i think that one of my all time favorite alpert love ballads of all time because everytime i hear it i remember somebody very special who i miss very much and she is still dearly loved i also enjoyed paradise25 with herb talking and his infectious laughter which was helpful to me at the time as i was going thru a very difficult period in my life im glad im a completist because if you are missing even one alpert album your collection is incomplete in my opinion

Well, I guess my collection WAS complete until "I FEEL YOU" came out!

I chose to cherrypick the songs I liked off of this last Herb & Lani effort, and downloaded them off of iTunes. Does that count?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom