• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

šŸŽµ AotW AOTW: Herb Alpert - RISE (SP-4790)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 10 47.6%

Votes: 6 28.6%

Votes: 5 23.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
LPJim said:
...The importance of General Hospital toward helping RISE RISE to the top cannot be overemphasized...!

Thanks very much, Jim, for "the complete synopsis" on the General Hospital-connection... I think I remember seeing commercials for that particular part of the series and of course, it was additional First Exposure for me to the song being played...

My sister would in a few years, be a regular watcher of the show and hooked on it enough to watch it every day after school, if not recording it in the VCR...

LPJim said:
...This was a brilliant marketing strategy for this deservedly best-selling single and album... ...I gave it a "best" vote...

Think that certainly sums up how much deserved recognition that "Rise", the single and album got via that "promotion"!

--And not hard for me to still agree that it is a Zenith in Herb's works, too! :agree:

Dave

...With additional "Flashbacks", as well! :freak: :badteeth:

Maybe it''s the fact that RISE went to #1 on the charts, but this album always had a TJB kind of flair to it for me. It was the first album I bought after finally buying a component stereo system complete with headphones[Koss Pro4AAA's...], and I really got into this record. It was great to hear Herb on the radio again, too.

An aside...my ex graduated from high school in '79, and at her 10 year reunion, the DJ played most of the big hits from that year...noticeably absent though, was RISE. I asked him to play it, and he said... "Y 'know, I ALMOST brought that one..." Yeah, right!

Dan

BillEarl.jpg

Bill Earl's picture in a '60s TjB tour book

RotationEarl.jpg

Bill Earl from the "Rotation" video

Harry

I was going through some of my Alpert LPs and noticed my Rise album had a bit of a bulge to it (make your own joke here :D ). It turns out that I had put an interview of Herb from Billboard inside the jacket. It's from the October 20, 1979 issue where Herb talks about Rise, and how the album almost didn't happen. I've typed it up and thought I'd share it with y'all:

Billboard said:
ā€˜Riseā€™ 45 Raises Alpertā€™s Recording Posture

Revels In His Current Solo Hit Project

Los Angeles ā€“ With his single ā€œRiseā€ shaping up as a No. 1 record, Herb Alpertā€™s confidence in his recording career has been restored.

ā€œRiseā€ is Alpertā€™s first smash hit since ā€œThis Guyā€™s In Love With Youā€ hit No. 1 in 1968 and ā€œThe Lonely Bullā€ with the Tijuana Brass placed sixth in 1962.

In fact, despite his long career, Alpert includes ā€œRiseā€ in the same breath as his other ā€œrushesā€ such as when Sam Cooke recorded his first song ā€œWhat A Wonderful Worldā€ (penned by Alpert and Lou Adler), the popularity of ā€œThe Lonely Bullā€, his rebounding with ā€œA Taste Of Honeyā€ ("after a lull when people didnā€™t feel the Brass was valid"), and ā€œThis Guyā€™s In Love With Youā€ (ā€œwhich caught me off guardā€).

Alpert recalls the night he finished ā€œRiseā€. ā€œI listened to it for my own pleasure,ā€ he says, ā€œwhich was something I havenā€™t done since the Tijuana Brass.ā€

The ā€œRiseā€ single, penned by Alpertā€™s nephew Randy Badazz and Andy Armer, was recorded without an album in mind, a change in philosophy from previous Alpert releases. ā€œIf I got a hit record first, I could go into the studio with a lot more confidence. If ā€˜Riseā€™ didnā€™t happen, there wouldnā€™t have been an album. If things donā€™t go right, you get a little gun shy.ā€

Although ā€œRiseā€ wasnā€™t intentionally cut as a disco record, it did win immediate disco acceptance. ā€œI recognized that dance music was here. I tried not to make a disco record but a dance record. Most feedback to it was that it was too slow,ā€ comments Alpert. Actually, when Badazz and Armer brought the tape to Alpert, it was done faster, but Alpert slowed it down to 100 beats per minute.

Alpert wrote two songs on the album (which was recorded on a 3M digital machine), leaving the remainder of the material to Joe Sample/Will Jennings, Bill Withers and Badazz/Armer.

ā€œDuring the ā€˜Lonely Bullā€™ days, I used to write a lot. Now Iā€™m better equipped to listen to someone elseā€™s songs and inject my own ideas. Itā€™s hard to be objective now.ā€

One song Alpert did write, ā€œ1980ā€, was written as the possible theme for the 1980 Moscow Olympics, after he received a call from Don Ohlmeyer of NBC Sports. ā€œā€™1980ā€™ is my idea of what the opening of the Olympics should sound like,ā€ says Alpert.

He claims his trumpet playing is much more flowing now. ā€œI had a good experience producing Gato Barbieriā€™s ā€˜Calienteā€™,ā€ he says. ā€œWhen making music you have to let it come out by getting into the mood of the song and letting it happen. It becomes more emotional and a better experience as a player and listener.ā€

ā€œIā€™m not a trumpet player in the traditional sense. I didnā€™t come up through the big bands. Iā€™m a different breed ā€“ a record producer trumpet player. I know how to make a record and the trumpet is a part of it.ā€

Alpert is taking a cautious ā€œwait and seeā€ attitude towards any touring. At this stage of the game, Alpert still relates to what happened in the ā€˜60s. ā€œThings have changed so much that I donā€™t know if there is a demand for a tour. Iā€™ll wait and see how the album does. And if I do tour, it will be on a selective basis.ā€

Now that his career is taking off again, Alpert says that in all probability he will curb his production activities. He also rules out any possibility of reforming the Tijuana Brass.

As vice-chairman of A&M Records, Alpert doesnā€™t view himself a record company executive. ā€œIā€™m primarily an artist. I get off playing and making music,ā€ he says. ā€œā€™Riseā€™ gave me the opportunity to go into the studio and make Herb Alpert music.ā€

October 20, 1979 Billboard

Capt. Bacardi

At the time this album was released, I was living in the mountains of PR, in Cayey to be exact. I was astounded at how different and yet how grand Herb's sound had evolved! The technology was cassette tape for me at that period. The CD is even better of course. I thought the cover with those painted vinyl records at the A&M lot was very hip! Herb looked his usual self-assured relaxed self, the epitome of "COOL"!
Herb had accomplished what Miles had also done....To "re-invent" his sound, and be accepted. "Behind the Rain" isa marvelous tune. "Aranjuez" was a "rainbow"of styles. I don't know if Herb filmed a video of this one, but if not he should have. "Rotation" was magnificent. "Street Life" great. The "Rise" video is fantabulous, showcasing the Lovely, and Gracious Lani Hall! What a gal! 5 stars for this release. :love:

Sorry to bring this topic up again, but Rise is a great album that I find manages to still sound contemporary today.

I found my copy at a thrift store. Amazingly, it was in near-mint condition and still had the original shrinkwrap clinging to it. This sticker was attached:

rise-sticker.jpg

The cover design was very creative and eye-striking, and the music inside wasn't bad either.

"1980" is an atmospheric, upbeat instrumental, and a great way to kick things off.
"Rise:" I read somewhere that this song gave Herb goosebumps the first time he played it. It's easy to see why. It has a catchy groove and manages to sound more concise than the 7:37 track time would attest!
"Behind the Rain" is my favorite song on the album, with very memorable instrumentation and melody.
"Rotation" does less for me, but is a good way to close off the side.
"Street Life" is another solid (if not necessarily exceptional) song that makes me feel like swinging my arms downtown, for some reason.
"Love Is:" A vocal song. Nice (and Herb's voice isn't bad at all), but ultimately one of the lesser songs on the album.
The tune of "Angelina" seems a bit mournful to me.
Finally, there's "Aranjuez (Mon Amour)" [A-Ron-Ways], which is second only to "Behind the Rain" as my favorite cut from the album; an arrangement with world music influences and distinct parts seamlessly leading into one another. I love the break in the middle with percussion and chants. What better way to finish things off!

I hope that it's reissued on CD someday.

Aranjuez....an awesome tune. It made me get the complete Concierto de Aranjuez...

As much I like Rise and Street Life, Aranjuez makes the cd....

would be neat if Mr. Alpert tried to rework that track somehow, a la Rewhipped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom