• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Peter Frampton - I'M IN YOU (SP-4704)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Peter Frampton
I'M IN YOU

A&M SP-4704

sp4704.jpg

TRACKS:

I'm in You 4:10
Putting My Heart on the Line 3:42
St. Thomas (Don't You Know How I Feel) 4:15
Won't You Be My Friend 8:10

You Don't Have to Worry 5:16
Tried to Love 4:27
Rocky's Hot Club 3:25
(I'm a) Road Runner 3:40 (Holland-Dozier-Holland)
Signed, Sealed, Delivered 3:54 (Garrett, Hardaway, Wonder, Wright)

All songs by Peter Frampton except as indicated
Reissued on CD

Peter Frampton, Chris Kimsey, Frankie D'Augusta & Bob Mayo (keyboards) --produced, engineered & mixed

Stanley Sheldon - bass
Ringo Starr, John Siomos & Richie Hayward - percussion
Stevie Wonder - harmonica on "Rocky's Hot Club"
Mick Jagger - backing vocals
Mike Finnigan - vocals

George Marino, Dog Sax, Arnie Acosta - mastering
Roland Young, Vartan, Ryan Rogers - art direction
Neal Preston, Irving Penn - photography
Beth Stempel & Bill Levenson - coordination & supervision
Dee Anthony - management

Highest U.S. chart position: Number 2

JB

I like this album for sentimental reasons, it's a decent album, but hard to believe it followed "Comes Alive".

It seems like it was in line with his pre-superstar efforts, but it definately was his "jump the shark" album.

Peter Frampton is a very nice guy, I think he has survived some tough times and he's a wonderful musician. I wish him the best.

I found this to be Peter's most-listenable effort...

It's usually AFTER a Live LP that an artist would run out of good material to jump-start the next line of studio recordings, but I think this is where Frampton finally got it together...

I remember, more than twenty-years-ago, getting a whole slew of Rock LP's and this one was included (along w/ ...Comes Alive) as well as the most-listened to...

(Other records in that bunch were Cheap Trick: At Buddokan (complete w/ booklet) and Paul Anka's The Painter...)

Naturally my favorite here, is none-other-than "I'm In You"...

Sang it on my way past the chicks smokin' outside the office I used to work at! And blew a kiss to one of 'em weeks later, from my car to hers, at a stop light, on the way home, crankin' it up when it came right on the radio...

Dave

Peter Frampton - Double Bass, Bass Guitar, Fretless Bass, Fretless Guitar, Guitar, Slide Guitar, Jazz Guitar, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Organ, Moog Synthesizer, Mini Moog, ARP String Synthesizer, Clavinet, Keyboards, Harmonica, Drums, Percussion, Vocals, Talk Box

Bob Mayo - Organ, Hammond B-3, Synthesizer, Moog Synthesizer, ARP String Synthesizer, Clavinet, Melodica, Electric Piano, Piano, Fender Rhodes, Accordion, Keyboards, Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals

Stanley Sheldon - Bass Guitar, Double Bass, Fender Bass, Fretless Bass, Jazz Bass, Vocals

John Siomos - Drums, Percussion, Tambourine

Richie Hayward - Drums, Percussion, Congas on "St. Thomas (Don't You Know How I Feel)", "Won't You Be My Friend" and "Tried To Love"

Stevie Wonder - Harmonica on "Rocky's Hot Club"

Mick Jagger - Backing Vocals on "I'm in You" and "Tried to Love"

Mike Finnegan - Backing Vocals on "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)"

Ringo Starr - Drums, Percussion

Produced by Peter Frampton, Chris Kimsey, Bob Mayo, Frankie D'Augusta

Recorded at Record Plant, Hit Factory and Electric Ladyland -- New York, New York

Engineered by Peter Frampton, Chris Kimsey, Bob Mayo, Frankie D'Augusta

Mixing: Peter Frampton, Chris Kimsey, Bob Mayo, Frankie D'Augusta

Mastering: George Marino, Doug Sax, Arnie Acosta

Art Direction: Vartan, Roland Young, Ryan Rogers

Photography: Neal Preston, Irving Penn (& "Anyone was holding the camera at the time")

Supervisor: Beth Stempel, Bill Levenson

Coordinator: Beth Stempel, Bill Levenson

Management: Dee Anthony

Dave :neutral:inkshield:

At the end of the song "Putting My Heart On The Line", Peter in his talk box says "Always with you..." Matt Clark Sanford, MI P.S. I also have his latest CD "Thank You Mr. Churchhill" (on A&M) which has the song "I Want It Back" playing on classic rock stations.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know PF had released anything new. I have 'FINGERPRINTS' -- all instrumental & also on A&M -- from 2006. Gotta check out the new one soon,
JB

The CD "Thank You Mr. Churchill" was released Tuesday, April 27, 2010. It was $ 7.99 at Best Buy stores 2 weeks ago. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Interesting how short "I'm In You" is...in contrast to the double LP "Comes Alive" -just made Frampton's fans more confused and maybe frustrated.

I saw him live about 5 months prior to the release of this album. Remember commenting to my friend that "Signed, Sealed" was terrific and needed to be a single. It is still my favorite from him after all these years- and is always on my i-pod.

Being the Frankie D'Augusta on the credits of this album give's me a front seat to all comments and details perhaps know one really knows.First off Ringo Starr never played any drums on this record.It was Mike Finnigin and John Siomos who played all the drums.And on some tracks like "Tried to love"They played at the same time.2 drummers on that track.Two-Peter played drums on the first single "Im in you" and came In with a vocal and piano stereo 2 track performance and we overdubbed everything else.Three-how can you follow up FCA,very well thank you with a multi-platinum album that shipped that way and 4 charted singles in billboard hot 100.

Frankie D'Augusta said:
Being the Frankie D'Augusta on the credits of this album give's me a front seat to all comments and details perhaps know one really knows.

Great information! Thanks much for sharing, and welcome! :thumbsup:

Don't know... But was quite surprised to find that "Richie" on Stephen Stills' debut album, Stephen Stills was RINGO STARR! (And the track he was on was 'To A Flame', recorded at Air Studios in London...)

-- Dave

A more likely "legitimate Ringo Starr cameo", if you will, would be on Frampton's first album, Wind Of Change...

A few tracks have him playing drums there (w/ another drummer in some instances)...

Otherwise gimme 'Drumming Is My Madness' (from Ringo's 1981 LP Stop & Smell The Roses), though Jim Keltner really applies most of the 'actual stick-work' there!

-- Dave

This was one of the more disappointing albums I ever heard. Frampton clearly was not ready to make this record -- the original material is weak, and the fact that two of the tracks are old soul remakes just underlines the fact.

Expectations were really high after Comes Alive. I remember when it came out, we brought in a bunch of copies and within days, word of mouth on it was toxic. We wound up returning most of what we'd ordered. The fact that it didn't make #1 on the chart -- which was pretty much unheard of for an artist following THAT big an album -- spoke volumes.

I do like the title song though.

That can usually be the case after Live albums: Yes, Genesis, Supertramp (anything after Paris anyone?), Kansas, and almost any number of others, usually do the arena circuit, blowin' off those "early hits", then definitely should pack it in if there's nothing new to offer that's even half as good as the "prime period" material they when they started!

However, some are lucky to do succeeding albums after a live set or two, that DO get better (or at least DON'T come off as "clueless" once they return to the studio & start recording again)... I would at least bill Rush as that sort of act...

-- Dave

Success Is a very subjective thing.Coming from a parasitic place like the record co,I do believe 4 million co's Is not bad at all on the ledgers.Coming from a public prospective "Im In you " the single I believe was # 1 for a week then dropped to # 2 and stayed for a while.For the "Die Hard" Frampton Fans It might not have given them the dose of heavy ness they required,But at the same time Peters Management was looking for a new demographic and the concept of the cover art and fan club Inserts and jewelry reflected that.Also they were setting him up for a movie.Hind site Is 20/20.The un -precedented success of a FCA which by the way was only counted as one album,Were as today they would count each disk was Intense and many peoples lives and jobs were on the line to get this right.And when I say lives,I mean lives.Dee Anthony was his manager!!!Need I say more.I was there every step of the way,On FCA and "Im In You" the 1977 tour and the movie.All people can do Is there best and you will never please everyone.And to say that this was one of the worst albums after an a really big album,Is subjective and It certainly meet my needs when It came to $$$

This album was probably like Tusk was to Fleetwood Mac. Normally that album would have been considered a major success, but coming as it did after the blockbuster Rumours set expectations impossibly high, for the industry as well as the public. Michael Jackson's post-Thriller albums suffered the same fate.

Frampton's album paralleled Tusk in another way too -- he took a major shift in direction on the new album. It was a risky move. I think most fans were looking forward to more up-tempo rock'n'roll like "Show Me The Way" but the new album didn't really deliver it. I remember hearing that comment alot back in my record-selling days..."it's too mellow."

This album was probably like Tusk was to Fleetwood Mac. Normally that album would have been considered a major success, but coming as it did after the blockbuster Rumours set expectations impossibly high, for the industry as well as the public. Michael Jackson's post-Thriller albums suffered the same fate.

Frampton's album paralleled Tusk in another way too -- he took a major shift in direction on the new album. It was a risky move. I think most fans were looking forward to more up-tempo rock'n'roll like "Show Me The Way" but the new album didn't really deliver it. I remember hearing that comment alot back in my record-selling days..."it's too mellow."
These are really good comparisons.Your on the $ as far as "Tusk" and the others go.FCA Two was really hot.And of course Is "Fingerprints" Record as well!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom