• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

AOTW: Roger Kellaway - CELLO QUARTET (SP-3034)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Roger Kellaway
ROGER KELLAWAY CELLO QUARTET

A&M SP-3034

sp3034.jpg

Released 1970

Format: Vinyl/Reel-to-Reel/8-Track/CD

Produced by Stephen Goldman

Songs:
  • 1. Saturnia - 2:55
    2. Sunrise - 7:42
    3. Morning Song - 5:32
    4. Jorjana #2 - 8:18
    5. Esque - 2:38
    6. On Your Mark Get Set; Blues - 4:59
    7. Invasion Of The Forest - 2:52
    8. Jorjana #8 - 6:18

All selections composed by Roger Kellaway and Published by Eternity Music Co., ASCAP

Musicians:
Roger Kellaway - Piano, Conductor, Arranger
Ed Lustgarten - Cello
Chuck Domanico - Bass
Emil Richards - Percussion
Joe Pass - Guitar (4, 8 )
Erno Neufeld - Concertmaster, Violin solo (8 )
A&M Symphony Orchestra

Engineer: Dick Bogert
Photography & Album Design: Barry Feinstein & Tom Wilkes for Camouflage Productions.
Liner notes by Roger Kellaway

Capt. Bacardi

I guess this album would be considered an eclectic set, sort of a chamber jazz thing if you will. I really like "Jorjana #2" since this is one of the few spots that Roger Kellaway gets so serious solo room. Another fave is "On Your Mark Get Set; Blues". It's not a knockout album but it definitely has its moments.

Capt. Bacardi

I sampled these tracks and didn't like what I heard. I may give it another try because it's on A&M and Roger Kellaway did a great job on Julius's As Time Goes By though.

A lot of the album is really lovely - they used to use one of the tracks (Morning Song?) as a theme song for an old NPR show I can't remember the name of ........

Really could use a bit of the Betwixt & Between brush, if not something more like Center Of The Circle...

Great arranger, from Melanie to a couple tracks by Renee Armand, otherwise I've found efforts like Come To The Meadow and Cello Quartet a bit hard to get into...

And Cello Quartet I'd mistakenly gotten on CD for what I could have bought both on vinyl for, otherwise; but maybe just for thinking it may have had "newer" liner notes...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom