• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Sister Janet Mead THE LORD'S PRAYER (SP 3639)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Sister Janet Mead
THE LORDS'S PRAYER

A&M SP-3639

sp3639.jpg

I believe that life is a unity and therefore not divided into compartments. That means that worship, music, recreation, work and all other "little boxes" of our lives are really inseparable and this is why I believe that people should be given the opportunity to worship God with the Language and music that is part of their ordinary life. The words of the songs on this record almost all come from books of the Bible, which so richly express the longings of man's heart, his loneliness, his joy, his dependence on God, his desire to love his fellow man and to live in peace. We all recognize these yearnings - they are ours and are common to each of our lives.

In the "Lord's Prayer" there is a phrase which expresses whaat I believe is Christ's ideal. It says "Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." That is what I think Christ tried to bring about. He kept talking about initiating the kingdom of heaven on earth. What I think he meant was that he wanted us to share in his vision of drawing people together in happiness, joy and peace. Music has all the qualities to help in this - it breaks down barriers, unites, makes us forget ourselves, makes us aware of others and is totally involving.

In my life I have had the great happiness of seeing many people work together for good. My parents who first taught me to love, the community of nuns in which I work, the students in my school in Adelaide, my very numerous freinds, the young people who have devoted their time to preparing each week for hours for their Youth Masses and now the record company with which I have worked to make this record. If I, one person, have seen so many people of good will in a comparatively short life, surely it is innately in us all to work together in our own small way for the unity of mankind.

J.C. Mead, Sister of Mercy

SIDE ONE

The Ten Commandments 2:48/ With You I Am 2:42/ Gloria 2:15/ Father I Put My Life in Your Hands 3:32/ Take My Hand 1:54/ The Lord's Prayer 2:42

SIDE TWO

Lamb of God 2:56/ Keep Me Safe 1:49/ The Earth is Filled 2:46/ Hold On 2:47/ God My God 2:29/ He Is King 4:49

Original Recording by Festival Records of Australia

Produced, engineered and mixed by Martin B. Erdman
Arrangements and music direction by Les Sands
Creative Director: Noel W. Brown

The musicians:
The 'Rocking' Rhythm Section:

Derek Fairbrass - drums, congas/ John Sangster - percussion/ Ned Sutherland - guitars/ George Thompson - bass guitar/ Barrie Heidnereich - keyboards

Trumpets & Flugel Horns -- Jack Iverson, Ron Falson, Lloyd Adamson
Trombones - Peter Haslam, Bob McIvor, Ron Spillett
Woodwinds - Errol Buddle, Bob Chalker, Len Mulley, Dave Rutledge, Tom Sparkes

Violins - Gordon Bennett, Geza Bachmann, John Lyle, Nancy Clements, Janet Harvey, Phillip Hartl, Klara Korda, Sara Solan, Brecon Carter, Juliette Levy, Eva Kelly

Violas - John Gould, Ceska Baret, Franco Dal Santo, Joy Lee, Les Crockford, Frank Coe

Cellos - Lal Kuring, Barbara Woolley, Nathan Waks, Barbara Yelland

Background Vocals (Girls): Claire Poole, Kerrie Biddell, Sue Bracken, Katrina Southwell, Gaye MacFarlane, Annette Terrill, Betty Lys, Jeanette Freeman;

(Boys): Joe Andre, Peter Brandon, Rod Dunbar, Peter Flanagan, Ken Holland, Robert Mitchell, Peter Tucker.

Art Direction: Roland Young/ Front Cover Illustration: Sonia Weiss/ Back Cover Photography: Vic Grimmett/ Album Design: Chuck Beeson.

Recorded in Sydney, Australia, at Festival's "Studio 24."

JB

For more information about Sister Janet Mead, please visit:

www.milesago.com/Artists/janet-mead.htm

I owned the '45' of The Lord's Prayer (trad./Music by Arnold Strals) / with the Non-LP B-Side: Brother Sun, Sister Moon (Donovan Leitch)
[A&M 1491]; think it was an OCRE label Forget Me Not-series, too!

A record store I typically go to in Ann Arbor has a copy of this LP; saw it the last time I looked in the Contemporary Christian Section, anyway...

Dave

"The Lord's Prayer" was a huge single in the seventies but of course you never hear it on classic radio today. XM's 70s channel doesn't even play it! Not that I am complaining....I never did like it, so was not tempted to check the LP out.

I have the 45 of Sister Janet Mead's "The Lord's Prayer", and it's also on that FORGET ME KNOT sampler album that A&M put out to radio programmers.

As for airplay, it was in heavy rotation during its heydey, but I haven't heard commercial radio touch it since then. Paid music systems in restaurants do occasionally dig it up. I've heard it twice in restaurants over the past 10 years or so.

The only time it will get airplay on a radio show today would be during a countdown show of some type. In other words, if a station was doing a top five countdown for the particular week that this song hit its peak of #4, they'd play it (if they could find it!).

Back about ten years ago when our station began its conversion to Classic Rock, we began as a '70s station with rock leanings. We emhasized the harder tracks that had charted in the '70s, and laid off of the soft stuff during regular rotation periods. During a specialty show, like a weekend or a Saturday Night '70s show, we'd do countdowns of the top five or ten for a particular week. It was often a scramble to locate some of the weirder records that charted back then.

Harry

Image added, 8 July, 2006.

For what it's worth, the Praise Band I'm in at my church plays this every other week, alternating with communion Sundays... Arranged my own marimba part for it.

--Mr Bill

Mr Marim-Bill said:
...The Praise Band I'm in at my church...

Is YOUR "Praise Band" called "The Praise Band", too?! :freak:

That is actually what the band which plays at my church (or actually Musically-Assists the Whorship) call themselves...! :angel:

Dave

...still wishing I was good enough to join...! :|

Dave said:
Is YOUR "Praise Band" called "The Praise Band", too?!

Yes. I've been suggesting we take a "name" but as I'm still the "newest member" my opinion carries little weight. I also suggest we dress in the same outfits but that's not a very welcome idea either...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
...I've been suggesting we take a "name" but as I'm still the "newest member" my opinion carries little weight...

Sadly, my friend in his Whorshipping Band seems to have little clout in his group, too... He's the drummer and also relatively new...

Mr Bill said:
...I also suggest(ed) we dress in the same outfits but that's not a very welcome idea either...

Hmmmm...a "Uniform Church Band"? Well, you being the Marimba Player, must'a suggested wearing ponchos and floppy sombreros ala. The BMB...!! :laugh: Well, seriously, I would sure like to see you play!

Dave

One of Mr. Bill's other bands: :wink:

galleryband.jpg

I found this picture of an un released A&M act... THE BAJA (ROGUES) GALLERY BAND!!!
The songs off their unreleased debut LP were:
1-Along Comes Wendell
2-Cry of the Wild Sidoruk
3-The Winer Woodpecker Song
4-San Bernardi
5-Kasputis Arriba
6-Up Blakesley Street
7-I'll Neyheart You
8-Paula's Porch Pt 2
9-Yes Sir, That's My Gowdy

Harry

:rotf: --Thanks, Harry for digging that one up!!

Wondering how long before this ever gets "back on topic"...? :nut:

Dave

Dave said:
:rotf: --Thanks, Harry for digging that one up!!
Wondering how long before this ever gets "back on topic"...? :nut:

I'd say it doesn't have... a prayer... :laugh:

--Mr Bill

Dave said:
I owned the '45' of The Lord's Prayer (trad./Music by Arnold Strals) / with the Non-LP B-Side: Brother Sun, Sister Moon (Donovan Leitch)
[A&M 1491]; think it was an OCRE label Forget Me Not-series, too!
I.I.N.M., this was released after A&M switched from their long-standing "ochre" label of old to the newer silver-and-tan label. Not only that, on Columbia/Pitman pressings, it was the last in which Columbia did their own in-house label copy artwork. As you can see, their idea of how to fill the label differed significantly from the printer that handled label copy for the West Coast-based Monarch plant.

am-1491a-cp.jpg

Not only that, but on my copy the B-side's title was changed a bit to "Brother Sun And Sister Moon."

(The most recent release on the "ochre" label I've seen was Stealers Wheel's "Star," AM-1483-S.)

Harry said:
One of Mr. Bill's other bands: :wink:

galleryband.jpg

I found this picture of an un released A&M act... THE BAJA (ROGUES) GALLERY BAND!!!
The songs off their unreleased debut LP were:
1-Along Comes Wendell
2-Cry of the Wild Sidoruk
3-The Winer Woodpecker Song
4-San Bernardi
5-Kasputis Arriba
6-Up Blakesley Street
7-I'll Neyheart You
8-Paula's Porch Pt 2
9-Yes Sir, That's My Gowdy

Harry

You missed a bonus track: