• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Aqua de beber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

I wonder who's playing trombone at the track AQUA DE BEBER on Sergio's debut A&M record HAP?

All the best ,
Aqua do Brasil

That's something I've long pondered, too! And the SITAR on "Chove Chuva" from Equinox. :?:

Dave

...one of the "Perfect Trombones on A&M"; others are on: When The Party's Over by Robert John, Gotta Be Another Way by Jimmie Rodgers and "some song" by Antonio Carlos Jobim, "I forget the name of...!" :wink:

Aqua do Brasil said:
I wonder who's playing trombone at the track AQUA DE BEBER on Sergio's debut A&M record HAP?

We've been trying to figure this out for a couple of years. All we know is that it's not Bob Edmondson. I think Jeff even asked Sergio who played on the track, but Sergio couldn't remember. The mystery continues...

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Aqua do Brasil said:

We've been trying to figure this out for a couple of years. All we know is that it's not Bob Edmondson. I think Jeff even asked Sergio who played on the track, but Sergio couldn't remember. The mystery continues...

Capt. Bacardi

Was it maybe, West Coast studio trombone player Frank Roselino? (played also on the 1978 Elektra release Brasil 88 album as studio musician.
Who knows, still a mystery... Maybe Herb Alpert remembers...

BTW, Frank Roselino commited suicide in the late '70s (1978-1979?).

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil
Code:

I'll put my two cents' worth in, and I may be wrong, but I think the trombonist was Urbie Green. Or am I thinking Equinox?

Something just makes me say Urbie Green...

Aqua do Brasil said:
Was it maybe, West Coast studio trombone player Frank Roselino?

No, it clearly wasn't Frank Rosolino, who had a very distinctive trombone style that few have ever been able to match.

Capt. Bacardi

seashorepiano said:
I'll put my two cents' worth in, and I may be wrong, but I think the trombonist was Urbie Green. Or am I thinking Equinox?

That was one of my guesses as well, along with a young Bill Watrous. But Urbie would've been my guess. I think Jeff asked Sergio about Urbie and he said "no", or something like that.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
seashorepiano said:

That was one of my guesses as well, along with a young Bill Watrous. But Urbie would've been my guess. I think Jeff asked Sergio about Urbie and he said "no", or something like that.

Capt. Bacardi

Urbie Green was musician at the East-Coast at that time.
We all remember his excellent work on the WAVE album by Antonio Carlos Jobim, with arrangments by Claus Ogerman on A&M/ CTI.

Lew McCreary was a session man at A&M. I'm just not sure he was such that far back (more a late 60s/early 70s guy).

--Mr B
thinking outloud

Yep, Sergio said "no" to Urbie and/or Bob, but considering some of the rest of the stuff he said that was flat-out wrong, I wouldn't put 100% stock in it. Most of these guys who have done hundreds, if not thousands, of sessions over their careers have noticeably spotty memories. Dave Frishberg is the same way--he's very fuzzy about the whole A&M era. Could it have been something they were smoking? :)

Maybe Herb was at a loose end that day and, on seeing an abandoned trombone, thought to himself, "Hey, that's got a mouthpiece, but what does that slide thing do?" And the rest was history.

JMK said:
Dave Frishberg is the same way--he's very fuzzy about the whole A&M era. Could it have been something they were smoking? :)

Could be. I remember Frishberg saying the two years he was with the TJB were the most fun he's ever had with a band. I had always assumed it was the music, but now.... :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

Chris Martin said:
Maybe Herb was at a loose end that day and, on seeing an abandoned trombone, thought to himself, "Hey, that's got a mouthpiece, but what does that slide thing do?" And the rest was history.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Capt. Bacardi

JMK said:
Yep, Sergio said "no" to Urbie and/or Bob, but considering some of the rest of the stuff he said that was flat-out wrong, I wouldn't put 100% stock in it. Most of these guys who have done hundreds, if not thousands, of sessions over their careers have noticeably spotty memories. Dave Frishberg is the same way--he's very fuzzy about the whole A&M era. Could it have been something they were smoking? :)

It sounds like Bob to me...always did.

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
It sounds like Bob to me...always did.

It's clearly not Bob Edmondson, and here's an easy way to tell: Compare the solo on "Agua De Beber" to the trombone solos on "Our Day Will Come" and the beginning of "For Carlos" on the TJB album S.R.O., which is about the only songs where Edmondson plays in the upper range. There's a huge difference in sound, style and technique.

Capt. Bacardi

Aqua do Brasil said:
Urbie Green was musician at the East-Coast at that time.

That's true, which makes me wonder about Watrous, who was on the left coast at the time after ending his enlistment in the Navy. He had been stationed in San Diego and made the trek up to LA afterwards during this period.

Mr. Bill suggested Lew McCreary, who is another possibility, although I haven't heard enough of McCreary's solo work to make a better guess. McCreary goes back to the 50's, so it's possible it was him.

All we can do is guess, really. Too bad there isn't some document that says "this guy played on this track".

Capt. Bacardi

Chris Martin said:

Surely you jest :)

Being a trumpet player, and having played with trombone players, I can tell you that the person playing that trombone solo is an expert trombone player. The tone, phrasing, and control in that solo are far, far beyond what you would hear from someone who just picked up a 'bone and decided to blow a few notes...

Nope, it's not Herb...unless he has been hiding his 'bone skills from the world all these many years...that solo is being played by a pro on the 'bone...

One name that hasn't yet been mentioned yet, is Dick "Slide" Hyde--didn't he die a few years ago? I should look up in my Record Album book, other Trombone Players that have "played that long ago"...

The idea of Herb Alpert playing a trombone doesn't sound too far-fetched; Sergio needed a 'bone played on that track, so I guess he got...even though "he didn't know Herb knew how to play one..." :laugh:

Dave

Looking over at Carol Kaye's site in her bio where she lists the musicians she played with and was influenced by over the years, these trombone players are included:

Carol Kaye said:
Trombones: Lew McCreary, Dick Nash, Milt Bernhart, Dick Noel, Bob Enevoldsen, Harry Betts, Billy Byers, Tommy Shepard, Gail Martin, Lloyd Ulyate, George Roberts, Bob Brookmeyer, George Bohanon, Gil Falco, Bobby Knight, Charlie Loper, Dick Gould, Vern Friely, Kenny Shroyer, Mike Barone, Grover Mitchell, Dick Hyde, Lou Blackburn, JJ Johnson, Dave Wells, Curt Berg, Frank Rossolino, Tommy Pederson, Dick Leith, Chris Riddle.

Harry
...heading off to sleepy-land, online... :yawn:

Captain Bacardi said:
It's clearly not Bob Edmondson. There's a huge difference in sound, style and technique.

I guess you can say the difference is like (ahem) "Night and Day". (rimshot) :D

Capt. Bacardi
...hearing many a groan online...

OK, I think I will get "far-fetched", now! What about J.J. Johnson or Kai Winding? :?:

I have seen albums by them recorded on The West Coast in the '60's--individually and together...Not to mention appearances on other peoples' recordings there, too! Any Possibilities?

Switching to the SITAR (on "Chove Chuva" from Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66's Equinox album), who could've played that? Bill Plummerplayed on The Mashugaashi Yogi by Bill Dana and Joey Forman--any chance it could be him? Wonder why it wasn't used more often? Or wouldn't "Brasil '66 sounded BRASILIAN" with it?! :freak: :laugh:

Dave

...Let's see...perfect trombones: Jimmie Rodgers' "Gotta Be A Better Way", Robert John's "When The Party's Over", Antonio Carlos Jobim's... :wink:

Switching to the SITAR (on "Chove Chuva" from Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66's Equinox album), who could've played that?

All Music Guide refers to that as an "imitation sitar," whatever that is. They've been known to be wrong on a few things though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom