Are you gonna buy the TJB reissues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Are you gonna buy the TJB reissues? As for me – heck yea, every single one of them: I’m gonna buy five copies for my mother (sorry got a little carried away ala Dr. Hook). I’ve already got a few of the original first issue CD’s, and the rest I’ve got as CD-R needle drops, but this is too much to pass on, no matter what the cost – which should be cheaper than ebay.
Everyone has stated their favorite TJB CD here in one thread or another, but with the reissues, which one are you most interested in hearing? It might not necessarily be your favorite. For me this is the case. I eagerly await “Warm” because I don’t have a clean CD-R of “The Sea Is My Soil”. And, “You Smile, The Song Begins” because I think it’s a great album, but thought the sound quality could have been better. I’m so curious if re-mastering will make it better.

Assuming there are 15 original albums TJB (including Christmas) and at least one "rarities", and assuming approximately a $12 price point for each, we'd be looking at somewhere around a $200 price tag for the entire bunch.

While I have virtually all of the original CDs issued in the '80s, plus some rather satisfactory needle-drops or digital copies of the rest, I still think I'll end up getting the whole lot.

Since we know NOTHING of the marketing plans, it's really difficult to come up with any kind buying strategies, but I'd like it if a bunch of three or four came out at a time, thus not needing to plunk down the big wad of money all at once.

If everything were to appear all at once, then I'd hope for some kind of box-set that's all inclusive, perhaps with some kind of 'reward' in the form of packaging, extras, etc.

Guaranteed though, if a box set were to appear on my doorstep, the first disc out of the package would be WARM, with the first track listened to, "The Sea Is My Soil." And if I know my fellow Alpert-ites here, I wouldn't be alone.

Harry
NP: a deafening Hoover Floor-Mate with the wife cleaning the wood floors

Yes, I certainly will buy them...

I have CDs of Whipped Cream and Lonely Bull. I must have gotten those while they were available somehow. So, I don't intend to get another one of either of those unless they come in a set that is all inclusive...the ones I have are quite satisfactory to me.

Then, I would like to have Going Places, What Now My Love, South of the Border and SRO. Any of those and in any order...soon. As you can see, my favorite TJB period is from South of the Border to SRO inclusive. I like the others, but I would rather have these first, if the reissue is one at a time.

I'd then like Sounds Like and Beat of the Brass next. I can wait for 9th as it has the fewest songs I miss hearing from vinyl, with the exception of Abanda (I have Abanda in a collection).

Warm is my least favorite...sorry to all of you who love it, but I like the old TJB sound better...

Brass are Comin'... well, I'm in no hurry for that...

If they all come at once, I'll be very happy and buy them all.

I to myself would buy them, but the question I have would they be avalibile in stores or just on the internet becasue some stores would have to special order them, and when are they going to be released, if I understood the posts.
bob

I will buy them. Everyone of them and I will get them the week they hit the shelves! I'm excited about different albums for different reasons. I'm anxious to hear a newly remastered "Christmas Album" because I don't like the sound quality on the original CD. I'm also anxious for "Coney Island" because I've never heard any of it's tracks on CD. I'm looking forward to getting in the car and cranking up "Senor Mouse" and "Catfish"!

No huge rush here--I will definitely get them for my collection, but the needle drops I've done pretty much cover all the bases. Will probably do like I did with the Carpenters' "Remastered Classics": I'll get my favorites first, then fill in the rest as funds permit.

The ONE thing that would get me to buy these a lot sooner is if they were on SACD or DVD-Audio. If not that, I'd gladly take some nicely mastered LPs pressed on 180g virgin vinyl. :D

I will buy "The Brass are Coming","Coney Island", and "You Smile.." right away becuase they are the only albums I have not transferred to CD yet.

I'm in the same shoes as Captaindave. I have Lonely Bull, Whipped Cream, as well as Greatest Hits on CD and thats it. Really looking forward to "South of the Border" which is my favorite. Can't get enough of "Up Cherry Street". Also "Bean Bag" which we all know is on SRO. Will buy them all (even what I already have) because we all know this is probably the last shot at this....

(Still looking for that mono copy of Beat of the Brass), Stosh

Absolutely I will. I already have all of the original releases from 1988 plus Japanese versions of "Brass Are Comin", "SRO", and "Going Places", but I will purchase them again because there has always been that initial high of purchasing a new TJB album for me ever since childhood, especially if they are marketed well and prominently displayed in the stores. On the Japanese cds such as GOING PLACES and SRO, I don't know how Herb will approach the album art, but the Japanese cd was perfect except for the lack of A&M SP4112 being in the upper right hand corner. I would love to see the new version include that but be like the Japanese version except no Japanese writing on the right side of the back cover. I hope these new releases will have better sound quality and no flaws that were present on the old releases. For instance on GP, the old disc has left channel dropouts on the beginning of Tijuana Taxi. I know there are multiple tapes around that don't have that flaw, so I hope the selction of source material will be based on sound quality. From the length of time that Randy told the Capt. that Herb was putting into this project I am optimistic that this round will put the old ones to shame. It will also be great to have 9th, Warm, Sounds Like, Coney Island, and You Smile on cd at last. That should have happened a long time ago.

David,
in wild anticipation.......

You better believe it. When it comes on a Tuesday, I will be there early in the morning around 9 or 10 when they come out especially at Barnes & Noble in Midland, MI. :thumbsup: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

All I really care about is the sound quality...it would be nice to have jewell boxes with the original cover art, but I'll take what I can get. I'll buy them in whatever order they're offerred...trying for the ones I don't have on CD yet[ the only one I HAVE on CD is VOLUME 2...]

Dan

I will buy them all as soon as they're available, at whatever price, whatever the packaging may be. The only ones I have on CD are Christmas Album and Greatest Hits. I've been hoping to get a decent enough CD recorder to make my own needle-drop CDs, but having the real thing commercially packaged would be better--especially if the sound quality is close to the original without too much monkeying to "update" it or anything. And like thetijuanataxi said, I miss that high of a brand-new TJB album purchase from the old days.

Mike A

I will buy them all as soon as they're available, at whatever price, whatever the packaging may be. The only ones I have on CD are Christmas Album and Greatest Hits. I've been hoping to get a decent enough CD recorder to make my own needle-drop CDs, but having the real thing commercially packaged would be better--especially if the sound quality is close to the original without too much monkeying to "update" it or anything. And like thetijuanataxi said, I miss that high of a brand-new TJB album purchase from the old days.

Mike A

I'll start by getting the ones I need to fill in the gaps and - knowing my habits - will end up with all of them eventually.
Thus far on CD I've got:

LONELY BULL
VOL. 2
SOUTH OF THE BORDER
CHRISTMAS
GREATEST HITS
SOLID BRASS
RISE
MAGIC MAN
BLOW YOUR OWN HORN
WILD ROMANCE
KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME
MY ABSTACT HEART
N. on S. St. (have this and all the above on vinyl)
MIDNIGHT SUN
2ND WIND
PASSION DANCE
COLOURS

JB
Installing a back yard trailer to house my future duplicate copies, online

I can relate to thetijuanataxi's description of "that initial high of purchasing a new TJB album for me ever since childhood"!

I expect I'll buy the whole lot but one at a time, starting with GOING PLACES and SOUTH OF THE BORDER.

I'll buy them all. I would also vote for putting extra tracks on the cds. I'd vote for making some of the albums 2-disc deluxe editions with extra tracks while I'm dreaming. I'll buy the cds with or without extra tracks though.

I would definitely buy a new VOLUME TWO disc if
"Mexican Drummer Man" is added as a bonus
track.
JB

I have the first 6 TJB albums on cd, and the sound quality is not that bad. But I definitely would buy all of the re-issues, probably at once. I remember in the '80's that I said "I'll come back later to buy 'Beat Of The Brass' on cd". I never found it again. I'm not missing my chance this time! And the high of purchasing just one of these brings me back many moons ago, as a kid. Heck, I'm gettin chills just thinkin' about it! I hope Herb realizes that he touched many hearts with his music, and there's still a demand for his output, however old it is. I know I can speak for everyone here: Herb, we love you for being part of our lives!

We'll have to get two copies of each because I told my father a while back and he was like, "We gotta get those!" :laugh: I just hope that I can get them at the local FYE and not on the Net (I'm a little weary about purchasing stuff online, never done it, and probably never will). I'm particualrly interested in THE LONELY BULL (because Dad never had the original LP), BEAT OF THE BRASS, because I'll finally hear a "clean" version of "Monday, Monday", SOUNDS LIKE...because again, I've always wanted to hear a "clean" version of "Wade In The Water", yes, definitely a better sounding version of THE CHRISTMAS ALBUM, THE BRASS ARE COMIN' and SUMMERTIME, because I like "Jerusalem". Like most everybody here, I'm curious about all the CDs, in terms of sound quality. It's really hard to pick favorites, because they're all great albums in their own way.

All I want is to have all this vinyl that I have on CD, so that I can start to play it again like I used to do in the old days with record player.

Record players - turntables - are the old technology. I want to be able play all the old albums with the equipment that is the norm today. Both in the car and in the house - or on the portable CD player...

I want the relative permanence of the CD format. Vinyl albums used to wear out. Tape was the worst, IMO.

As a completist myself, I will definitely get them all. Depending on how they'll be released I'll start with what I don't already have on CD then work my way from there.

Capt. Bacardi

I actually would vote for bonus tracks on the individual discs too. I understand Randy's thinking but I would be much more excited buying a new "Volume 2" if "Mexican Drummer Man" were added on, much more excited about a new "Going Places" if the mono single mixes were added, etc. I will, of course, buy a rarities disc (or two) if that's the way they do it (I'll buy anything Herb puts out!) but I'm just gonna end up making my own CDs for the car with bonus rarities added on. And some of the albums are so short. I can't imagine "Summertime" with nothing extra added on. But I'll buy it anyway.
I wonder if they'll be released one at a time or two at a time or what. I would love to see the whole bunch come out at once but I'm sure they won't do that. There'll probably be a couple months wait between releases. When the first release date is announced, I'll probably take the day off work, hit every store in D/FW until I find them and spend the rest of the day driving around town listening to them.

I have some reasons --- admittedly selfish -- for wanting the reissues to come out all at once. First, with the market "flooded" I'm likely to scoop up some promo copies at half price (yes, I know that doesn't help the artist as much as it does my wallet).
The second is there's a danger if the initial reissues don't sell up to expectations the remaining items in the series won't see the light of day. That's happened all too often. The Verve jazz reissues flowed strongly for a while; now they're down to a slow trickle.
JB

I’d love to see them all come out at once, but not as a box set. It’d be too expensive to by 5 copies for my Mother. Actually, I hope they’re separate because I probably will buy more than one copy of some of them; gifts, back-ups, fodder for my time capsule, and a few to put in my coffin – you know, just in case I come back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom