Are you gonna buy the TJB reissues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the comment above about sales...

I'd like to see them all at once so that I can get them all and not have to worry about whether I'll never see certain ones due to sales volume. Even if that is more expensive. It would be a one time only cost, then I'd have them all - once and for all.

I'll definitely buy them all. There are only two of TJB albums that I don't have "at all:" VOLUME 2, and SOUTH OF THE BORDER. I'm not all that excited about 2, but maybe it will grow on me. I would buy LONELY BULL just to get "A Quiet Tear" on CD at last.

Harry made a comment about listening order. I haven't really thought about that. WARM and GOING PLACES alternate for the top of my favorites list, so I might have to flip a coin to see which one I'd play first, or maybe I would just play them in order, or perhaps pull them out without looking and play them randomly. Guess I've got some time to think about it!

I was delighted beyond measure to hear (through this forum) about plans to re-issue all of the TJB recordings -- way too delighted to make snarky remarks about the authenticity of Bullish as a TJB album. I am a long-time fan who has (essentially) every Herb Alpert album up to My Abstract Heart on vinyl and the later ones on CD. (Okay, I don't have Noche de Amor, but I do have Blow Your Own Horn; I don't have Greatest Hits Vol. 2, but I do have Solid Brass.)

But I am a little disappointed to hear advice to Herb from "purists" against "twofers" and bonus tracks. The anti-twofer platform I can sympathize with, but I worry that it would be a bad marketing idea not to include bonus tracks. It's been my observation that 30 minute albums tend to get slammed as bad value in the CD age. If you segregate original LPs from an anthology of outtakes, I predict that reviews will waste space on how short the LP reissues are and will dismiss the new material as of interests to true-blue fans only. In my particular case, I would surely buy any number of albums of outtakes, but might buy very few originals, since I already have the albums on vinyl. It's not a matter of my love of music so much as it is the reasonings of the economical side of my mind.

Perhaps wishing for hour-long twofers is a bit greedy. In practical terms, 45 minutes seems to be about the amount of music people expect from a CD. Anything more seems generous, anything less, a bit chinsy.

In an ideal world CD players would have a "suite mode" whereby one could choose to a batch of tracks at once. So if you had a CD with two symphonies on it, you could play the second symphony, e.g. by selecting "B" rather than programming it for tracks 5-8. And a pop music CD that is the reissue of an LP plus 6 bonus tracks could have side 1 defined as suite A, side 2 as suite B and bonus tracks as suite C.

A possible solution to satisfy purists and the rest of us would be to insert a 30 second track of silence between the original album material and the bonus tracks. Of course, this depends on the nature of the bonus tracks. In the case of a Sol Lake song that got bumped from an album because it was the 13th song, maybe the Let It Be ... Naked approach of readically reconfiguring the album makes more sense than cordoning it off into a free speech zone. In the case of known alternate tracks like "Plucky" and "Brasilia", I'd keep them away from the standard tracks, maybe even as part of a different album's bonus set.

The Monty Python album Matching Tie and Handkerchief had 3 "sides" (one side split into two depending on how the needle dropped). Here's an idea I offer free of charge: to create a partly retro, partly whimsical, partly post-modernist feel to the package, why not group the sections of tracks into Sides 1, 2 and 3?

Personally, I would be inclined to spit Volume 2 into side 3 of Lonely Bull and either side 1, 2 or 3 of South of the Border. For the later albums I would hope that there are some recorded live performances that can be added to side 3 along with whatever studio goodies are out there.

Alternate versions of Carmen, anyone?

David

I've mentioned this many times, I'll mention it again: back in high school, I worked for a record store which carried the original TJB CD releases. Being surrounded by them, I thought I'd pick them up at my leisure...stupid me!! They immediately went out of print. And so, getting back to the theme of this thread, I will (like others have said), regardless the cost, pick up each and every TJB reissue that appears on the shelves.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Jon

I will buy them all as soon as they hit the shelves. Right now I just have to decide of I want to dump my 1988 CDs on eBay and make a few $ before then...

--Mr BIll

If I'm able to buy the "whole works" at one or a couple stores, I may consider a TjB Reissue purchase...

Of course, it's liner notes and bonus tracks that would really draw me in! But there hasn't been anything else new (or reissued) that's worth buying lately, so...

Dave

Yes, I will be buying many of them. There are outstanding pieces that have always been missing from the greatest hits releases. Such as:

The Fox Hunt
Bud
Grandpa Lou
The Happening
For Carlos

I like a mixture of jazz brass and pieces like Granpa Lou that have reverence and beauty combined.

I have always been a Herb Alpert fan and a Chuck Mangione fan, and I think that many of their works are superior in style to the Maynard Ferguson approach, although you have to give Mr. Ferguson credit for being able to play the stratospheric notes that he does.

Mr. Alpert has incredible musical taste, talent, and good business sense.

trumpetman said:
I like a mixture of jazz brass and pieces like Granpa Lou that have reverence and beauty combined.

"Grandpa Lou" will NOT be among the reissues, as that song is from Herb's first SOLO album Just You And Me, not a TJB album. Hopefully, Herb's solo works will evetually be reissued as well.

Capt. Bacardi

There are outstanding pieces that have always been missing from the greatest hits releases. Such as . . . The Happening . . .

For this track, you don't have to wait. It's included in the A & M Gold Album, whose cover design is mostly Kelly green.

Captain Bacardi said:
trumpetman said:

"Grandpa Lou" will NOT be among the reissues, as that song is from Herb's first SOLO album Just You And Me, not a TJB album. Hopefully, Herb's solo works will evetually be reissued as well.

Capt. Bacardi

That first solo album would be a good release--it would fill in the gap between the TJBs and the Masekela album.

Well, I was secretly hoping Just You & Me would be among the earlier selections for remaster/reissue as it fits more with the 74/75 TJB than with later Herb Solo material... And of course one has to wonder how the two Herb/Hugh LPs will be considered (if at all) for reissue...

--Mr Bill

The first Herb/Hugh, I could see happening, as it was already released once and is really a great album. For Main Event? If there are other tracks in the can, it would make a great "expanded" release, or even a double-disc if there were enough extra material. Two ways to do it: one disc, maybe recreating the original running order of the concert (the way The Who's "Live at Leeds" was done), or do it as a two-disc with the original album on the first disc and additional recordings on the second.

Rudy said:
For Main Event? If there are other tracks in the can, it would make a great "expanded" release, or even a double-disc if there were enough extra material.

I understood that both "Skokiaan" and "Lobo" were crowd favorites during their tour, and I would've loved to hear those tunes "live"!

Capt. Bacardi

It's nice that "Main Event" had all new songs on it (not many live albums take that risk), but yes, it would be neat to hear the other songs they covered on that tour. :)

I'll buy them all. I'm a completist.
I wish all of them will also be re-issued on 180 gr. vinyl and high-resolution digital format.
I haven't heard the wonderful song "I Belong" from Coney Island for a long long time.
"I Belong" reminds me of the "Christmas Album" because it sounds like a Christmas song to me.

The Good Cap'n Postal said:
I understood that both "Skokiaan" and "Lobo" were crowd favorites during their tour, and I would've loved to hear those tunes "live"!

Indeed they were. "Lobo" was the tune used for the band intro with extended solos for everyone. FOr Hugh's intro Herb said, "from South Africa, Hugh Masekela!" and when Hugh would intro Herb he'd say, "and from Tijuana, Herb Alpert!" at which point Herb would act out bashing Hugh on the head with his trumpet... Yes, a release of the entire concert, unedited, would be a treat.

As for the order of the tunes, the LP is NOT presented in the order they were played. Plus two songs ("Besame Mucho" and "I'm Coming Home") were not actually played on tour but were added after being recorded "live" in A&M's studio (probably to friends and family)

--Mr Bill
whose first live concert attendence ever was at the first concert the first night at the Roxy

An expanded "Main Event Live", then, sounds like it would be a good product to release. :wink:

Save for the $$$ involved, which of us die-hard fans wouldn't buy the complete set of remastered Cd's, if we could possibly afford to do so? Speaking for myself, it would be worth a small fortune to have these gems in CD format.

And so, in answer to the original theme of the thread: "Am I Going To By The TJB Reissues?"

You bet!! :)

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom