• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Bacharach/David Medley Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokerman

Several compilations have a version of the Bacharach/David Medley performed live (for example, "Their Greatest Hits And Finest Performances" - Reader’s Digest). Does anyone know the source of this live performance? Is it by chance from the Carpenters 1971 UK BBC TV special? Thanks

Several compilations have a version of the Bacharach/David Medley performed live (for example, "Their Greatest Hits And Finest Performances" - Reader’s Digest). Does anyone know the source of this live performance? Is it by chance from the Carpenters 1971 UK BBC TV special? Thanks

The version that you're referencing was taken from their 1974 performance at the Riviera hotel in Las Vegas. And some wonderful backstory to that one. The live shows that were recorded were all done through a mobile recording service. Inadvertently for this show, some of the tracks were erased - including backing vocals, electric bass and brass I believe.

When Richard decided he liked the performance (what was left of it), he re-recorded the bass and horn tracks himself on a Kurzweil synth, and also supplied all of the backing vocal overdubs you hear. All in all it's well done and a really fun listen. :)

I remember first getting the Readers set in the mail as I ordered it by phone from them. When I got it and heard this medley I couldn't believe I was actually hearing Karen's speaking voice it gave me goosebumps to identify her speaking voice to the music that affected me for years.

It couldn't be the 1971 BBC one because that was lip synced :laugh: You can find that version on any 'Tan Album' (aka Carpenters).

Speaking of the Reader's Digest set, I'd like to own it someday. The oldies medley without Mr. Peluso's DJ chatter is worth it alone for me...

Someone had posted the 1971 Australian tour which also gave a good version of this medley. I do like the one in 1974 best.

The only thing I dislike about my Readers set is the inner booklet is so tiny, it measures about 4" x 4.25" and slides all around inside the CD case. I don't understand why they didn't make it the same size as other CD booklets. It just looks weird.

The only thing I dislike about my Readers set is the inner booklet is so tiny, it measures about 4" x 4.25" and slides all around inside the CD case. I don't understand why they didn't make it the same size as other CD booklets. It just looks weird.

I think it's because they used the same booklet for the cassette tape version:

s-l225.jpg

Reader's Digest set is my fave - it's the one I keep downloaded on my current electronics.

Agreed. This one is my go-to version as well. The one on the Tan album is fine but a bit too fast for me, and it doesn't have Any Day Now or Baby It's You which are my favorite parts of the medley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom