• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

BBC TV Herb Alpert Doc from Sept. 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Meuwese

Last night i saw on BBC TV Herb Alpert Doc:
Herb Alpert, Tijuana Brass and Other Delights.
Very nice program with the whole Herb Alpert story told by a lot of artists as Richard Carpenter, Sergio Mendes, Sting and Quincy Jones
and by Herb himself. Very tastefull.
He told the stories with a lot of humour and even with some tears in his eyes.
The Beginning, his parents, his trumpet lessons and later his first studio experience with Lou Adler, Sam Cooke and Jerry Moss.
The whole start of A&M and the story behind it from the garage start till the selling part.
What i liked very much where the TJB promotion and tour-stories told by Pat Senatore, Bob Edmondson and John Pisano (All with grey hair...) about the brass followed by the Rise part and later recordings with Randy.
The program starts and ended with live show Anything Goes from Herb and Lani in the Vibrato-Grill.
I have recorded the show on a closed digital TV system so its on a harddisk and it has no DVD Burner on board.
Maybe i find another way to get it on DVD.
Greetings, Tom Meuwese - Holland.

Thanks for the early report Tom!

Now that it has been "officially" broadcast hope full I can see it soon.

Especially since I was lucky enough to be at Vibrato that night! :cool:

hi. im dave. im new to the forum. never have joined one but have seen many over the years.
im a huge fan of herb and have followed his music for over 40 years now.
i had the wonderful opportunity to see herb and lani perform at the disney center last year. it was out of this world. at one point, he played without the mike and blew right into the audience. it actually sounded better than being miked. he was taking questions and comments from the audience and i just about stood up and said some things but they started in playing again.
when i was a kid, i ate, breathed and slept the tjb. i wanted to be herb alpert. my mom bought me an old beat up bundy trumpet on where i taught myself to play. at one point, i drew out a comic book on herb in pencil. i still have this comic in my horn case made in 1968. i drew a few pages of horrible drawing and mis-spelled words. not much different than today :D my dream is to sit and talk with herb for a while. tell him all of my memories of his music and chat with one whom i know is a very warm and kind person. maybe one day. but till then, i still dig out the old bootlegged specials and watch as i try to remember where i was and what i was doing during the late 60s when the specials would be aired.
i would love to see the documentary that the bbc showed. if anyone has that in its entirety, i would love to talk with you.
there is still magic in the music as i still practice with the old songs and new. i know its brought a lot of joy to all of us. may it keep on doing so. the triumphant trumpet lives on.

I just watched the special. It shows the lasting power the TJB have had, that 40+ years on they still are recognized.

Hi All,

BBC 4 are repeating twice .....Herb Alpert Legends Doc tonight ....for those UK & a few Euro fans that have not seen this documentary to date :

First Screening : 23:30 > 00:30 BST

Second Screening 03:05 > 04:05 BST

Either watch tonight or record for weekend viewing ....either way ....essential viewing

Peter UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom