• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Beyond (but here now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David S

Well, I found a CD of Beyond online and bought the puppy - a Japanese release but as I have never owned the CD (only have the cassette...whoa, now that takes me back!) I'm quite pleased. I forgot how much I really liked this "album", even if it was recorded with 1's and 0's, as the man with the horn quipped about today's recording technologies at Lincoln Center..,.

Beyond was only released on CD in Japan, for whatever reason. It's a very good album and one that will hopefully see a reissue in the near future.

Capt. Bacardi

I was able to pick up the Japanese Beyond CD as a "special import" in London some time late in the 80's. I remember first passing on it, since I already had the vinyl version, and then telling my wife (at the time) that I needed to go back and buy it. I have never regretted that.

- greetings from the cold and snowy north -
Martin

A couple of quick indicators:

Just about all real CDs especially true imports from Japan will have real Pony Canyon sku numbers around the center hole on the data side - no numbers - you got a repo

Take out the back inlay card -all "real" CDs will have perforation marks for the spine folds - no perforation marks? - you got a repo

That's what was so "nearly authentic" about the counterfeit I received. It has machined numbers in the silver area around the hub:

D32Y-3041 21A1 ++++
1B01401341 IFPI LT025

and on the clear plastic part of the hub:

IFPI TAL32

And the back insert has authentic-looking perforations along the two spines.

Yet the tipoff is the fact that the disc is printed in a wrong-looking font, has the wrong logo, is missing another logo, and has the misspelling of "Mae" instead of "Made".

The printing of the artwork is just a little bit "off" - slightly fuzzy. AS I said in the other thread, it's a good counterfeit. It's something that would fool probably 90% of the people out there. The sound on it is likely digitally sourced from the real thing, so it sounds just fine.

But it's not real. If I were to try to sell it to another collector, I'd be told just how counterfeit it really is.

I was lucky in that PayPal sided with me and returned my money even when the seller wouldn't. And when I tried to mail the CD back, it kept getting returned to me - three times to different addresses. So bottom line, I got the counterfeit for nothing - exactly what it's worth.

Harry

I'd hate to say it but, even if it were a counterfeit, if it were a digital identical of the original CD, a lot of us would probably still keep it. As far as collector value it is probably zero, but that doesn't matter if there's no other way to get it and you really want to hear it digitally...

I lucked into a sealed copy of Beyond on LP several years ago, so I'm set.

When I went into this auction to buy what I thought was genuine, I already had a very nice LP copy of the album; I had a needledrop from that LP that was very serviceable; and I had a digital copy that a friend made for me from his original Japanese CD.

So I had all of the music - I wanted the collectable object of the Japanese CD and wanted to continue to alert our members that there are some very good fakes out there.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom