• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Blow Your Own Horn on CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

collier

I'd like to know how many different versions there are of "Blow Your Own Horn" on CD. It's my impression there were at least two or three different versions released: West Germany, U.S., and Japan. Is that right? How do I tell them apart? What I really want to know is the catalogue number of the U.S. version.

many,many years ago,before manhattan(the 42nd st.,area,that is)went thru an overhaul,there was a rcord store which had blow your own horn,but a spanish version of the album.same cover of herb "topless" clutching trumpet,but the title i believe was called noche de amor,and some of the songs were different than the songs on blow your own horn.i don't know of a third version however.

The U.S. release is A&M CD 4949. My disc says that it was made in West Germany by PolyGram. In the early days of CDs, there weren't enough U.S. CD pressing plants on line and A&M used their foreign licensees in Germany and Japan to mint their U.S. CD issues.

jazzdre said:
many,many years ago,before manhattan(the 42nd st.,area,that is)went thru an overhaul,there was a rcord store which had blow your own horn,but a spanish version of the album.same cover of herb "topless" clutching trumpet,but the title i believe was called noche de amor,and some of the songs were different than the songs on blow your own horn.i don't know of a third version however.

Correct. That album was the Spanish version, marketed to the US Latino population on the AyM Discos label, and it was titled NOCHE DE AMOR. It has two different tracks on it - "Sueño Precolombino" and "Noche de Amor" replaced "The Midnight Tango" and "Blow Your Own Horn". Several of us around here think that the album plays better in the NOCHE DE AMOR configuration.

The cover differed in its coloring around the border. BLOW YOUR OWN HORN had a gray border, while NOCHE DE AMOR had a red and green border. Both albums were dedicated to the late Karen Carpenter.

Harry

I own SP 4949 and two copies of CD 4949, both from the local cutout ($2) bins. Any time an out-of-print Herb title shows up I grab it.
JB

It's a good thing record collectors don't live forever....eventually the world would have several dozen people, each with about 100,000 Herb Alpert albums! :wink: (And I'd be one of them.)

Harry said:
Correct. That album was the Spanish version, marketed to the US Latino population on the AyM Discos label, and it was titled NOCHE DE AMOR. It has two different tracks on it - "Sueño Precolombino" and "Noche de Amor" replaced "The Midnight Tango" and "Blow Your Own Horn".

That brings up a question I've had for awhile (since I have Noche de Amor) - did Herb record other Spanish-only tracks for alternate versions of any other albums? Or was this just something done for Blow Your Own Horn?

I'm pretty sure it was only for NOCHE DE AMOR that there were any changes made to track listings of other albums.

I have Spanish editions of FANDANGO and BULLISH too, and the changes are all in the language used on the artwork and label. BULLISH, the album name, became BRAVIO, but the songs were all identical.

Sergio Mendes had a Spanish version of his return-to-A&M album. It had the title of PICARDIA and several tracks on the first side were re-sung in Spanish.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom