• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Bob Crewe Generation on CD today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Those of us wishing to hear Herb's version of "Music to Watch Girls By" can now hear the next best thing: The Bob Crewe Generation's version, which is on a new CD called "The Best of the Bob Crewe Generation: Music to Watch Girls By." Available today (2/7) on Varese Vintage records at your favorite store.

The disk includes 19 songs, including both stereo & mono single versions of "MTWGB."

This is a great sounding instrumental group! Bob Crewe by the way was a producer for Frnakie Valli and the 4 Seasons, another great group.

I just received the CD yesterday. I have always enjoyed MTWGB although I didn't purchase the single or the LP when they were first released in 1967. Some of the tunes are kind of quirky in the way they are arranged. A bit different than HA&TJB and in some respects similar.

Did Herb really ever do "music to watch girls by" I don't think so,but I could be wrong.

Yes, the TjB did the song in concert as part of a medley of "...songs that have been good to us."

Harry

Crewe was a big-time Producer/Album maker in the '60's... He even made a couple of LP's on Elektra in the '70's... A lot of Musicians in the New York City-area appeared, though uncredited, on his many record albums and other projects...

Dave

...Wondering where the Original Thread in the A Small Circle Of Friends Forum has gone... :shock:

I'd never heard Bob Crewe, apart from "Music To Watch Girls By," until this CD came out. To my ears, it's like a less dynamic, slightly syrupy version of the TJB. Which is not to say it's not still a fun listen! Probably, if he'd come around a year earlier, he could have been more than a one-hit wonder. But by '67, even the TJB had hit its commercial peak, so Crewe was destined to be a one hit wonder. I hope the best-of sells enough to warrant a sequel, or better yet, the CD release of the original albums.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom