• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Branching Out: Herbie a Consideration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, too, would have to agree with Mike B., Rudy, and Tony: Going Places , with Whipped Cream the runner-up. Funny how little disagreement there is here about Going Places being the best in the bunch! :laugh:

Rudy said:
And yes, they did use a song of his for the Dating Game: "Whipped Cream", I believe.

Didn't The Dating Game also use "Spanish Flea"?

Jeff F.

At one point, early in the Dating Game show's history, they did use "Spanish Flea" as well as 'Whipped Cream". They also used "Lollipops And Roses".

Harry

I LOOOOOVE that doubled horn stuff. It's part of what attracted me to the Carpenters. I think I am long overdue for a TJB album. Thanks for the advice.... :bandit:

Chris May said:
Hey, on another Herb related note, wasn't it the TJB that did the theme song on "The Dating Game"?

The actual theme for the Dating Game was not the TJB, but as mentioned before "Spanish Flea", "Whipped Cream" and "Lollipops And Roses" were the three main songs used on the Dating Game.

Capt. Bacardi

jfiedler17 said:
I, too, would have to agree with Mike B., Rudy, and Tony: Going Places , with Whipped Cream the runner-up. Funny how little disagreement there is here about Going Places being the best in the bunch! :laugh:

My sentiments exactly! I think for an introduction, Going Places has three of the TJB's best known signature songs, has a great sound, and just captures the whole TJB mood perfectly. Whipped Cream, I agree, is a runner-up, as that album was someone that everyone's parents had, practically an icon of the mid 60s.

Rudy said:
Not yet: the Going Places CD hasn't been released yet! :wink:

And yes, they did use a song of his for the Dating Game: "Whipped Cream", I believe.

Whipped Cream was used when the girl was introduced, and Spanish flea was used for the male contestant intro. When the date package was introduced to the happy couple, they played Lollipops and Roses. The theme song was written by Chuck Barris, I think...there was a thread about this a long time ago...maybe the Mariachi Brass played it...

Dan, thinking GP, WCAOD, SRO and HAN are the best TJB albums to introduce someone to the TJB with, in that order...

You know, GOING PLACES isn't just for introducing someone to the TJB, I recommend it whenever you need a reason to smile. I dare any sane individual to get through "Tijuana Taxi" without breaking a smile. Or "Zorba The Greek" without frantically tapping their feet. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the American Medical Association put out a bulletin saying that listening to GOING PLACES on a regular basis reduces your risk of serious diseases. Can you tell that I love this album yet? Not that the others mentioned are any slouches. They're all excellent. But GP is as close to musical perfection as it gets IMHO. Chris, prepare to become mesmerized.

David,
still loving GP after nearly 40 years...........

Well, this has become absurdly uniform, but what can I say? !!Going Places!! really does have it all in spades: classic TJB sound, some certifiable hits, marvelous arrangements, inventive orchestrations, not a bad song in the bunch. As I once wrote on this site, I've never heard a better B side for an LP than for GP—not from Herb Alpert, probably not from any other popular musician.

Chris: Hey, on another Herb related note, wasn't it the TJB that did the theme song on "The Dating Game"?

No, not exactly: The opening and closing titles sound to me like TJB-knock-offs. It's the music they tracked at regular points within each episode that was authentic Herb:

"Whipped Cream" when the (always) miniskirted gal sashayed in to take her seat before questioning the bachelors behind the screen;
"Spanish Flea" on the rarer occasions when a guy sauntered in to take his seat before questioning the (always) miniskirted "bachelorettes" behind the screen;
"Lollipops and Roses" when Jim Lang introduced the newly formed blind dates to each other.

The way we've all raved about GOING PLACES, I hope Chris isn't let down when he finally hears it! I've had that happen at my movie theatre....some movie gets critical raves, people say it's awesome, the best movie they've ever seen, etc. then when we play the movie, people come out saying, "it was good but not THAT good."

My 2 favourites would have to be" Volume 2 "and " Ninth ", probably because they were the first TJB albums I listened to in my youth - and I think You always tend to use that as your " yardstick ". Does anyone know why there are no new releases by Shout! Factory for August? The only info I have is:
April: Whipped Cream
June: Going Places, What Now My Love, and S.R.O
October: Christmas Album, Sounds Like, Ninth, and Beat Of The Brass.
So, still no mention of Volume 2, Warm, or The Brass Are Comin!

All this talk of !!GOING PLACES!! made me dig out my best copy and play it on my nice new super-whizzbang turntable this morning while I was editing a programme.

Made me smile all through lunchtime!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom