• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Brasil '66/'77 songs not performed by the Lead Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same thing happened for the domestic release of the Live at the Greek Theater. It was listed in a Phonolog (remember those?) as a coming release, I pre-ordered it, then it disappeared with the next update. It wasn't until decades later that Steve Sidoruk told me it was available in the UK!

I think with the channelling of Karen and Lani's voices on the Ye-Me-Le album, you can really hear each singer. Crystal Illusions and Fool on the Hill, the vocals are on the same channel, making it difficult to distinguish the singers (much like Chelsea Morning).

Imagine Scarborough Fair's vocals being channelled like the Ye-Me-Le album, or even if Chelsea Morning's vocals were channelled...

As an experiment, I did overlap the 2 solos on "Some Time Ago", and together you can tell that it is 2 different singers as Jon pointed out.

Contrary to the general impression given in the Playboy and TV Guide interviews, Karen did want to embark on a solo career. She was sick and tired of life on the road with a band, so I think this is where people get the impression she wished to leave the music industry. As a matter of fact, she made it clear in TV Guide that she very much wanted to have a hit record -- and tour on HER terms. I believe the interview states that she would not like to tour with a "big band" again.

Jon

Brasil6699 said:
Crystal Illusions and Fool on the Hill, the vocals are on the same channel, making it difficult to distinguish the singers (much like Chelsea Morning).

Very true, indeed. There are parts of FOOL and CRYSTAL where you can hear Karen, but it's definitely Sergio's 'original' recording format here: Lani double-tracked with Karen brought in on harmony.

To my ears, there was always something about "Chelsea Morning" that sounded different. Sure enough, it was a pleasant surprise to discover that Gracinha is part of the mix.

Brasil6699 said:
As an experiment, I did overlap the 2 solos on "Some Time Ago", and together you can tell that it is 2 different singers as Jon pointed out.

Brandon surprised me with this one. He'd made me a compilation CD of various Brazilian tunes to include a few from PAIS TROPICAL before its reissue a couple of years ago. Toward the end of the compilation, he overdubbed the previously-mentioned lines on "Some Time Ago". It's fascinating to hear the differences and similarities between the inflections of Lani and Karen.

You know, Sergio specifically told me that "The Christmas Song" was the first song in which he gave Karen a solo. It's the second "So I'm offering this second phrase to kids from one to ninety-two..." If you listen to this; then listen to "Some Time Ago," you can definitely hear the difference.

Then again, as Jeff said, Sergio couldn't remember but thought it was Lani all the way through. I guess we have to remember that in a career spanning 40 years, what happened in a recording studio in 1970 runs together with what happened in 1980 and so on. In other words, Sergio is so creative at mixing vocal talent (in and out of the studio), that it's hard to remember (unless he hears them) who sang what.

However, it's still a lot of fun to try and figure it out, isn't it? :wink:

Jon

NOTE: This thread veered off into a discussion about the song "Pais Tropical," so I moved that group of posts over into its own thread. Please put comments about that song in the other topic. Thanks everyone!

Re: Some Time Ago. That's what I was talking about earlier--how we all hear things differently. To me, it sounds exactly like Lani all the way through, albeit on the second "Now I'm discovering," she's higher than she usually is. To me, it sounds nothing like Karen on her solo "Pais" outings, which, to me anyway, is the best chance to hear Karen "unadulterated" (aside from the live recordings I have where she does more soloing). Lani has that unmistakable vibrato that she uses so well at the ends of phrases during the classic Brasil '66 period--something that, believe it or not, reminds me of Judy Garland, especially on the big ballads.

This all brings up a question I know has probably been answered before, but I've forgotten--was the Goodrich Christmas LP released in 1968 or 1969?

JMK said:
This all brings up a question I know has probably been answered before, but I've forgotten--was the Goodrich Christmas LP released in 1968 or 1969?

My recollection is that it was the same year as both BEAT OF THE BRASS and CHRISTMAS ALBUM, therefore 1968, right?

Clues: Christmas album features Herb on vocals on some tracks, something he hadn't done until BEAT OF THE BRASS. And I remember that I thought it was gutsy of Herb to release two of the full-priced CHRISTMAS ALBUM songs on the low-priced SOMETHING FESTIVE album in the same year.

Harry

At that time, I don't think Christmas albums were the sales bonanza they can be today....seems like they were more of something an artist would do just because everyone else did them, and not expected to be real moneymakers.

I've been scouring the internet for television performances of Brasil 66. There are apparently a few out there, but none available for sale, and none on EBay. Has anyone heard of any efforts or plans to compile and sell video performances of Brasil 66? Any info on what is out there now?

Greetings Mark! Welcome to the forum! A couple of years ago , the MusicScene DVD set was releaesed featuring Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 performing Wichita Lineman and Ye-Me-Le. Keep on searching on ebay and amazon. As far as I know, there aren't any plans on releasing a compilation of Brasil 66 tv performances. I will say this though, ALL of us Sergio Mendes fans r all WISHING for more dvd releases in the future. Another site to check out is GEMM too. I just located another site for you www.mpihomevideo.com

I sure would love to see the LIVE AT EXPO 70 concert released on dvd. My favorite would be Daytripper, and Mas Que Nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom