• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Brasil '66 Christmas Song

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashorepiano

:bigsanta:

Who here has listened to Brasil 66's cover of The Christmas Song from "Something Festive"? I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion.

I think it's important to completists, but, IMHO, it's largely a lacklustre version of one of my least favorite Christmas tunes. Of course, I do own it in the form of Something Festive since I am a completist!

--Mr Bill

It's all right, but not an essential track. The effect it had on me was to make me wish the band had recorded an entire Christmas album with some uptempo tunes.

To me, it's one of THE reasons to own SOMETHING FESTIVE. Though Sergio's opening vocal leaves a little to be desired, he's rescued quickly by Lani. The arrangement fits the song, IMHO, and makes it all 'sound' like Brasil '66.

I was saddened by the strangely-edited longer version that finally surfaced on CD this past season on that YULESVILLE disc.

Harry
...who finally got a day without Jack Frost nipping at his nose, online...

seashorepiano said:
:bigsanta:

Who here has listened to Brasil 66's cover of The Christmas Song from "Something Festive"? I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion.

Hi Seashorepiano,

I have one opinion!
In spite of all the other forum members i think this is one hell of an interpretation by the Mel Torme song. Ahead of its time (late sixties?) and one of the last recordings finally on CD from the entire Sergio Mendes recordings (except for LIVE AT THE GREEK THEATRE and MAGIC LADY).

Was it Grusin or Hazard who did the orchestrations?.
Wonderful in every sense from the first note on. I prefer the magic above the Nat King Cole interpretation.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

My guess is Dick Hazard on string arrangement--it's very similar to "So Many Stars" if you listen to the voicings. Grusin's would have walked all over the soloists, where Hazard's are up in high or low registers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom