• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Buried Treasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Dare I say it?

Buried treasure!!!

Tell me friends, tell me...where are Karen's recordings left to find?

For years I've been against using the all too tired phrase of BURIED TREASURES. This conjours images of the long lost, hard to find and subsequent jewels of Karen Carpenters legacy. Much repudation surrounds lost recordings. NOW Dear Richard, bring forth the glory, satisfaction, resplendent fervor that details voice, sound, delivery and is in fact and tow the voice KAREN CARPENTER.

There isn't all that much worthwhile in the vaults, from what I hear, (lots of snippets and partially-finished stuff) and Richard will either release them or not on his own schedule.

Harry

There is a Carpenters "Buried Treasures" album.It's called "As Time Goes By"(released in 2004),and it's an extremely forgettable album."As Time Goes By" is clear evidence that there wasn't anything worthwhile left in the vaults.(The jazz medley with Ella Fitzgerald being the obvious exception,but that was already available on the boxed set.)Incidentally,"As Time Goes By" didn't register with too many record buyers-it's pretty much the poorest selling Carpenters album.The bottom line is... what you see is what you get! What's available now is all that will ever be- and,in fact,the Carpenters catalog is dwindling:several albums have gone out-of-print in the last year.

This list called, "Buried Treasure" appeard waaaaay back when in the 80's. When I created the "mook" back in 1996, I had asked Richard about it. I have been making a apart of my long 10 hour interview with him regarding the list is available. You just need to let me know where to send it to.

http://iceland.cool.ne.jp/yuka/english/Carp/index.html
Please make an access to my website and go to "unreleased tracks".

Most of "good enough" material listed has been appeared here and there, especially on "As Time Goes By" album. Remember, the list was created more than 20 years ago and my interview is also 10 years old.

Thanks,
Yuka

mr J. said:
"As Time Goes By" is clear evidence that there wasn't anything worthwhile left in the vaults.(The jazz medley with Ella Fitzgerald being the obvious exception,but that was already available on the boxed set.)

No, it wasn't... The Karen/Ella Medley was released for the first time on the "As Time Goes By" album in 2001. At the time of that release, The Carpenters had only "From The Top" (1990) as a box-set... "The Essential Collection - (1965-1997)", featuring the Karen/Ella Medley, was released in 2002. :)

I enjoy "As Time Goes By" as it reminds us of the musicianship of Karen and Richard while re-creating old standards. It is a departure from the usual. Over the past year, I have listened to it more than some others. It is kind of like the Oldies medley, a departure from the usual, but good for the ears.

If I was not a member on this board, I would not have known that it even exists, for GOLD is the only one I see in the stores. Possibly, the CD sold less because of its marketing. In other words, sales do not measure the value of buried treasures.

It is nearing the stretch to 40 years since we first heard the Carpenters. With all of the styles of pop music in that time, it is amazing we can not only hear them, but hear them better, with more clairty and fidelity, today - than yesterday.

Craig

There is a Carpenters "Buried Treasures" album.It's called "As Time Goes By"(released in 2004),and it's an extremely forgettable album

I quite enjoy listening to this album, the standards from 'Music Music Music' are great. The only glaring omission from the set, which would have fitted perfectly alongside the rest of the selections, is Richard's own performance of John Davidson's song from that special, 'You'll Never Know', which was re-recorded with his lead as they did with all the other songs from the last television special. I'd rate that song as his best performance of all time. If ever there was a set to include it in, this was it.

Sometimes I think he undersells himself as a vocalist. Fair enough, he's not really a lead vocalist, but his performance on this song is beautiful and his voice sounds so strong. A missed opportunity in my book, because it's very unlikely he will stick it on any future Carpenters compilations.

Stephen[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom