Carpenters and the Beatles catalog

JBee

The discussion of the C's playing Beatles songs on the "Your Navy Presents" show on another thread has gotten me thinking. The Carpenters first single was a ballad version of "Ticket to Ride" (which is one of the best things they ever did and I even prefer it to the original). They included "Help" on the Close To You album. Karen recorded a soulful "Nowhere Man" demo (which is fantastic) in Joe Osborne's garage that never saw the light of day till As Time Goes By. Both RC and KC cited the Beatles throughout their career as one of their major influences (one of the famous "Three B's": Bacharach, Beach Boys and Beatles, and then later a 4th B was sometimes cited: The Bee Gees).

Yet, after "Help" there were no Beatles or Lennon/McCartney songs on their albums. I'm sure it was part of their earlier pre-A&M repertoire (they even did a snippet of "Good Day Sunshine" in the so-called Zodiac medley in MYOKOM) and I really wonder what other Lennon/McCartney songs RC could have changed up and re-arranged ala "Ticket to Ride". A heavily Carpenter-esque overdubbed version of "The Long and Winding Road" or "Hey Jude", or a ballad of "Day Tripper" perhaps? Even that early "Nowhere Man" sounds like it could have made some album, with Karen at top voice (even at 18-19). Imagine if they had recorded a studio version of NM with full orchestration at their height?

I ask because its often mentioned that Richard couldn't find songs to fill albums (thus relying on medleys as in Now and Then, putting out no album as in the year 1974, going with some mediocre tracks in AKOH and only putting out a Passage LP with 8 tracks, and half of one of those said 8 tracks was the entirely instrumental "On the Balcony of Casa Rosada") and yet used zero Lennon/McCartney songs he was clearly familiar with (and had played with) post-1970. Which I think is a shame...and given what he was able to do with "Ticket to Ride", a missed opportunity.

Very true. I'll bet they would have done other Beatles covers eventually. They did also do 'Goodnight' with the Cal State at Long Beach Choir in early 1969. Plus they did their own version of 'Baby It's You', which was originally done by the Shirelles and then covered by The Beatles in 1963.
Finally, Karen mentioned in an early interview that they would do 'Yesterday' when they were playing weddings early on in their career (pre-Spectrum).

I find it interesting that the Carpenters chose Beatles' non-ballads ("Ticket to Ride" and "Help!") to record. Certainly, Richard converted "Ticket to Ride" into a haunting ballad --- and expertly so, one of his best arrangements ever! But clearly, they would have done justice to Beatles' ballads as well, such as "Michelle," "Something," and the aforementioned "Yesterday." One of my favorite Beatles' songs is "If I Fell"; I love it mainly because of the harmony. Imagine if the Carpenters had given their brand of harmony and overdubs to a song like that... Imagine... Hey! John Lennon's "Imagine" would also have benefited from Karen's voice and Richard's arrangement.

I find it interesting that the Carpenters chose Beatles' non-ballads ("Ticket to Ride" and "Help!") to record. Certainly, Richard converted "Ticket to Ride" into a haunting ballad --- and expertly so, one of his best arrangements ever! But clearly, they would have done justice to Beatles' ballads as well, such as "Michelle," "Something," and the aforementioned "Yesterday." One of my favorite Beatles' songs is "If I Fell"; I love it mainly because of the harmony. Imagine if the Carpenters had given their brand of harmony and overdubs to a song like that... Imagine... Hey! John Lennon's "Imagine" would also have benefited from Karen's voice and Richard's arrangement.

I absolutely agree! "Michelle", "Yesterday", and even "Imagine" would be great! Those songs have got to be my favorite Beatles' songs, especially "Michelle". I would also add, as mentioned earlier, "Good Night", "Here Comes The Sun", "The Fool on The Hill", and "Blackbird". With Richard's producing and Karen's vocals, those could've been magnificent!

The discussion of the C's playing Beatles songs on the "Your Navy Presents" show on another thread has gotten me thinking. The Carpenters first single was a ballad version of "Ticket to Ride" (which is one of the best things they ever did and I even prefer it to the original). They included "Help" on the Close To You album. Karen recorded a soulful "Nowhere Man" demo (which is fantastic) in Joe Osborne's garage that never saw the light of day till As Time Goes By. Both RC and KC cited the Beatles throughout their career as one of their major influences (one of the famous "Three B's": Bacharach, Beach Boys and Beatles, and then later a 4th B was sometimes cited: The Bee Gees).

Yet, after "Help" there were no Beatles or Lennon/McCartney songs on their albums. I'm sure it was part of their earlier pre-A&M repertoire (they even did a snippet of "Good Day Sunshine" in the so-called Zodiac medley in MYOKOM) and I really wonder what other Lennon/McCartney songs RC could have changed up and re-arranged ala "Ticket to Ride". A heavily Carpenter-esque overdubbed version of "The Long and Winding Road" or "Hey Jude", or a ballad of "Day Tripper" perhaps? Even that early "Nowhere Man" sounds like it could have made some album, with Karen at top voice (even at 18-19). Imagine if they had recorded a studio version of NM with full orchestration at their height?

I ask because its often mentioned that Richard couldn't find songs to fill albums (thus relying on medleys as in Now and Then, putting out no album as in the year 1974, going with some mediocre tracks in AKOH and only putting out a Passage LP with 8 tracks, and half of one of those said 8 tracks was the entirely instrumental "On the Balcony of Casa Rosada") and yet used zero Lennon/McCartney songs he was clearly familiar with (and had played with) post-1970. Which I think is a shame...and given what he was able to do with "Ticket to Ride", a missed opportunity.
"Please Mr. Postman" was also performed by the Beatles back in 1963 on a BBC special. There is a video of it on YouTube. The Richard Carpenter Trio also performed an instrumental version of"Every Little Thing" which was also sung by the Beatles.

Here's a YouTube playlist called Carpenters Perform Beatles. I think it's Randy Schmidt's channel:

Carpenters Perform Beatles - YouTube »

I wonder how it would have sounded if they had covered In My Life, one of my favorite Beatles song. Would it be too high a register for Karen's voice?

Here's a YouTube playlist called Carpenters Perform Beatles. I think it's Randy Schmidt's channel:

Carpenters Perform Beatles - YouTube »

I wonder how it would have sounded if they had covered In My Life, one of my favorite Beatles song. Would it be too high a register for Karen's voice?

"In My Life" is one of the songs I wished Karen had recorded. I think Richard would have arranged it to fit KC's voice and I really think it would have worked well on her solo album, perhaps as ballad cover duo to go along with "Still Crazy After All These Years" (which I actually think is the most non-dated song now on that album). "In My Life" is just timeless. Both Lennon and McCartney were fans of Karen's voice and R&K were fans of the Beatles, one would think there would be more covers and re-arranged Beatles songs in the Carpenters oeuvre.

Karen could easily have sung In My Life and it's a song I always wish they had covered. A beautifully orchestrated version was recorded and released by Australian folk group The Seekers in 2012 to release their 50th anniversary as a group. I can easily picture Karen taking the lead and her with Richard singing back up. If only...

I recall even Emmylou Harris (another favorite of mine) covered a few Beatle songs in the mid to late 70's as the C's career was winding down. (For No One and Here There and Everywhere) And while I liked Emmylou's versions I think it's safe to say Karen could've owned those!
My best guess though is that Richard felt it was 'been there done that' and maybe felt he'd just be repeating himself in some way.

Consider the idea that MIA might have been shelved and rethought further after the tragedy on December 8, 1980, with the C's then going into the studio to record a special John Lennon/Beatles tribute LP.

Of course, we don't know which Beatles songs were especially favored by Richard & Karen aside from the cover versions that have surfaced, but sifting through the many fine thoughts here, and doing a bit of "projection," here is a possible track order for such a tribute album:

Strawberry Fields (with cellos doing the downward backing notes...)
I Don't Want to Spoil the Party (country-tinged, a la Roseanne Cash later on--who had a #1 hit with it)
Watching The Wheels (they could have arranged this one really well, and Karen on the ending...wow.)
Can't Buy Me Love (the original live track would be great, but Richard would never go for it...)
If I Fell
Nowhere Man
I'm Only Sleeping (lullaby version)
Real Love (not sure they'd have known about this Lennon song at that time, but would have been perfect for them...check out Lennon's piano demos on YouTube--Rich would have orchestrated the heck out of the minor chords!)
Taxman (Richard on lead vocal, with a jazz-tinged version with Karen overdubbed a dozen times on high harmonies...)
Because
In My Life
Good Night (the last three are all naturals for them; they could do "Because" a cappella...)
Imagine

Now, of course this would have never happened. But can you just imagine? What a record it would have been...

Last edited:
Consider the idea that MIA might have been shelved and rethought further after the tragedy on December 8, 1980, with the C's then going into the studio to record a special John Lennon/Beatles tribute LP.

Of course, we don't know which Beatles songs were especially favored by Richard & Karen aside from the cover versions that have surfaced, but sifting through the many fine thoughts here, and doing a bit of "projection," here is a possible track order for such a tribute album:

Strawberry Fields (with cellos doing the downward backing notes...)
I Don't Want to Spoil the Party (country-tinged, a la Roseanne Cash later on--who had a #1 hit with it)
Watching The Wheels (they could have arranged this one really well, and Karen on the ending...wow.)
Can't Buy Me Love (the original live track would be great, but Richard would never go for it...)
If I Fell
Nowhere Man
I'm Only Sleeping (lullaby version)
Real Love (not sure they'd have known about this Lennon song at that time, but would have been perfect for them...check out Lennon's piano demos on YouTube--Rich would have orchestrated the heck out of the minor chords!)
Taxman (Richard on lead vocal, with a jazz-tinged version with Karen overdubbed a dozen times on high harmonies...)
Because
In My Life
Good Night (the last three are all naturals for them; they could do "Because" a cappella...)
Imagine

Now, of course this would have never happened. But can you just imagine? What a record it would have been...

I would definitely buy a "Carpenters Perform Beatles" album if it included these songs!

Not directly related, but 50 years ago today (1966), The Beatles performed their last concert. The next year they released Sgt. Pepper and the three years from '67 to '70 saw many of their most creative albums. I'm paraphrasing a short article I read this morning, but while reading it thought "What if the Carpenters had given up concerts in 1972 or so and concentrated on recording and TV?" I'm sure I'm not the first to think of that.

The new Beatles Channel on satellite radio also plays covers of Beatles songs by other performers. I wonder if they will play any Carpenters covers other than "Ticket To Ride"?

Karen could easily have sung In My Life and it's a song I always wish they had covered. I can easily picture Karen taking the lead and her with Richard singing back up. If only...

I agree. I would choose others of the more melancholy Beatles gems, such as 'Across the Universe' and 'Dear Prudence'. Karen did a heavenly job of bringing true melancholy to 'Nowhere Man' and the 1969 version of 'Ticket to Ride'. (I don't like her re-recorded vocal as much). And her performance on 'Goodnight' was also brilliant. Perhaps Paul and John should have taken her on as their resident muse, as Bacharach and David used Dionne Warwick.

The new Beatles Channel on satellite radio also plays covers of Beatles songs by other performers. I wonder if they will play any Carpenters covers other than "Ticket To Ride"?

I was thinking the EXACT same thing; even checking in every so often just to see if I could catch whether or not its on the play list. I believe it was John Lennon that stated that Carpenters' Ticket To Ride was the best "cover" of them all and something to the effect of "this is the way it should have been recorded."

I'd be willing to bet that unless it's some sort of special "Oddball Beatles Covers" show, you won't hear any Carpenters on that channel.

The 50th anniversary of SGT. PEPPER is being released, and I do wonder: can you imagine a very young Richard and Karen in 1967 blowing their minds hearing SGT. PEPPER for the first time? At the time, Richard and Karen were still scrambling to develop their own embryonic music career, and I can just imagine the two of them getting their minds blown in the late 60s (before the Carpenters themselves became famous pop stars) listening to SGT. PEPPER, THE WHITE ALBUM, and ABBEY ROAD for the first time. :)

The next Beatles box sets will be The White Album (1968) & "Abbey Road" (1969). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom