Carpenters @ BBC 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Mills

That was funny....like the dark vomited up
Here is the slightly extended edit of the best bits of the Carpenters at the BBC 1971. The intro is gorgeous. Also Karen gives her thanks to Tony Joe White......I love this moment. 'I Fell In Love With You' is also included.

This is amazing!! One of my favorite videos to watch of them in "concert". The version of "Sometimes" they perform here makes me melt. Thanks for sharing. :)

I'm in agreement with you, especially this live version of 'Sometimes' which for me is better than the studio recording. It's a great idea to have them both sat at the piano, it brings an intimacy to the song that I find really powerful, and Karen's vocal is just flawless.

I hadn't heard "I fell in love with you" before. I thought you misspelled "I kept on loving you" or something. Lol That's great to see. Thanks!

I'm in agreement with you, especially this live version of 'Sometimes' which for me is better than the studio recording. It's a great idea to have them both sat at the piano, it brings an intimacy to the song that I find really powerful, and Karen's vocal is just flawless.

I wish they had put out an album of just Richard on the piano and Karen singing. That would have been awesome.

Why oh why did they go from a live intro to the recorded version of Help? They should have done it all live, we all know they were more than capable. Same goes for the Bacharach/David Medley.

I thought lip syncing was really frowned upon at the BBC, Richard must have reached some sort of agreement to have them lip sync on two songs. Why they felt the need to do this is also beyond me

Anyone else think her "stage presence" was better back in the beginning as opposed to later on? Most of her late 70's early 80's performances, live or otherwise, seem totally phoned in. This was much more organic and natural. Whoever told her she needed to use her hands more was off base, in my humble opinion...

Anyone else think her "stage presence" was better back in the beginning as opposed to later on? Most of her late 70's early 80's performances, live or otherwise, seem totally phoned in. This was much more organic and natural. Whoever told her she needed to use her hands more was off base, in my humble opinion...

I think its subjective. I envy those who got to see the Carpenters live, so I can only be the recorded videos. Karen seemed happiest and most at home during the early era (and I'm going back to 1968 when they were Dick Carpenter Trio on "Your All American College Show" when she basically was the center of attention and it didn't seem to faze her). If you watch the Live at the BBC or Live in Australia, she seems to have great stage presence in front of the stage and especially behind the drums. Even Richard appears more natural than he would in performances from later years.

Then you get the bizarre period from 73-74 (think her Tonight Show appearance with Carson) when they were weaning her away from the drum and she was dressed badly (well it was the 70s) and she did a lot of that deep head bowing all the time and to me she really seemed uncomfortable front and center (which she didn't in 68-72). Apparently Terry Ellis gave her lessons on stagecraft in 75, and you can tell by the London and Holland concerts that she now had the air of a polished professional. But there was very little of the happiness and excitement that she exhibited back when they were first starting (except during her drum solos when you can tell she was really into it). Of course all of the Carpenters concerts going back at least to the early 70s but particularly the later ones (you know with the Grease medley) were heavily scripted and the Carpenters never deviated from the script (even the comedy punch lines were the said the same way every time) and didn't allow the band to either. So, it's natural it seems a bit more "phoned in" I guess.

I do love this concert too, and I am fortunate enough to have this complete version on DVD. I love Doug's vocals on 'I Fell in Love with You', and Karen is having an absolute blast behind the kit.

Plus, the interludes with Tony Joe White are fun. I actually saw him perform last year, and he was amazing. He sounds exactly the same, he was playing some fierce electric guitar with just a drummer, and they were far better than most young acts I hear today.

Yeah, I watch this BBC concert and Australia a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom