"Something In Your Eyes" - Dusty vs. Claire

Jack A.

Which version do you prefer? I'm going to take the (probably) unpopular opinion of saying that I prefer Claire Dela Fuente's version - and before I get jumped, let me just explain why...

1. The arrangement. It's more complex and intricate, and to me, more melodic. It gives her version a different feel - a feel that I quite like. For example, I like how the song's intro is a full accompaniment with strings, drums, and bass, rather than just Richard's piano. I also always felt the verses of the original version were lacking a bit in instrumentation - the inclusion of an oboe and strings in Claire's version was the perfect addition to enhance the song's feel.

2. The vocals on the chorus. I'm going to say that Dusty and Claire did, roughly, an equally good job on the verse vocals - truthfully, I love Dusty's vocal because you can tell she was smiling as she was singing it - just having a grand ol' time. But there's something I prefer about the way Claire sings the chorus. She puts more power into the chorus - sounding like she really means what she's singing. Specifically, something about the way she holds out the word "your" resonates with me, as well. I also like how she adds the word "are" before "mirrors of my dreams," in order to make it a complete sentence.

3. The key - I personally think it sounds better being a half-step lower in Claire's version.

HOWEVER - the original version had a much better guitar solo, IMO - and I wish Richard's backing vocals had been done in a similar vein to the original, as well - with his "ooh" vocals on the second verse, and then his big "something in your eyes" going into the chorus. On Claire's version, you can hardly tell that it's him back there.

Feel free to hit me with all the reasons why Dusty's version is better - I just wanted to share my own, unpopular, opinion. :)

I LOVE both versions. I also love both of the accompanying videos. I realize that this doesn't answer your question but I am partial to both.

Claire’s vocal is a little more cohesive because she’s singing it all in one take. Not to say the finished vocals are all from the same take, but she’s not singing a phrase or partial phrase and stopping over and over again which Dusty did.

Back
Top Bottom