• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters "Collected"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes this interesting is will this be the original mixes since it's showing "Goofus" on the track listings or will it really have Sandy. Anything's possible. lol

Yes, I too like the cover. I think it's the same photo used on a piano book I own. Although Karen's blue boots are throwing me off :laugh:

Karen's blue boots are throwing me off :laugh:

I always thought you weren't supposed to wear blue with red :laugh:

MI0003552102.jpg

It surely does look like a reissue of the old ULTIMATE COLLECTION - perhaps it's really authorized this time (?) - with a new cover and title.

Harry

So this is the hard to find original single mixes with Solitare single version?

Actually, this should have the album version of "Solitaire", not the single version. For the single version of that song, get the US 2-CD set called GOLD.

If the COLLECTED set is a mirror of what THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION started out to be (and was pulled), then all of the songs will be pulled from the Remastered Classics masters. That means that they will all sound pretty much exactly as issued on LP back in the '70s - no remixes. We'll have to await reports from those who purchase the set to find out for sure.

Harry

No that's from early 1981, most likely when they were about finished with the recording/mixing of Made In America. Also in the same time period was the yellow/white Reminiscing photo session :)

1336741794_the-carpenters-the-carpenters-14105692-1024-768.jpg

Oh right, I just pulled out my 2 piano books and there are a bunch of these photo shoots from MIA in there. Karen could really change from month to month, in the Collected photo above Karen doesn't look too bad along with some of the other MIA photoshoots but in other 1981 photos like Brazil tour, big difference.

Karen could really change from month to month, in the Collected photo above Karen doesn't look too bad along with some of the other MIA photoshoots but in other 1981 photos like Brazil tour, big difference.

In later years, she seemed to change so often physically (hair length, weight etc) that you can almost pinpoint it down to within a month or so of the correct date. The above photos were taken most likely around April 1981, when Karen's hair still looked relatively long and healthy. The Japanese Telethon on August 22, 1981 saw her noticeably thinner and with shorter hair (think yellow outfit, People Magazine cover). So a gap of around 4 months. Fast forward just over two months to their arrival in Brazil on November 1, 1981 and the difference in her appearance is astounding.

ca. April 1981

Carpenters_18.jpg

October 1981

carpenters81.jpg

Yeah, there was such a massive change in Karen's weight, eyes and features from the time of her wedding (August 31st, 1980) to the Japanese telethon (August 22nd, 1981). So sad.

I remember seeing a photo of Karen and Richard with Julio Iglesias from October, 1981 in Billboard, and I was stunned at how different she looked from the MIA inside sleeve pic earlier that year (I believe the MIA shots were taken in February, 1981).

Actually, this should have the album version of "Solitaire", not the single version. For the single version of that song, get the US 2-CD set called GOLD.

If the COLLECTED set is a mirror of what THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION started out to be (and was pulled), then all of the songs will be pulled from the Remastered Classics masters. That means that they will all sound pretty much exactly as issued on LP back in the '70s - no remixes. We'll have to await reports from those who purchase the set to find out for sure.

Harry
Thanks Harry. I am not sure i know the distinction between Solitare album v single version. Could you please enlighten me.

The single version of "Solitaire" has an extra guitar figure at around the 1 minute mark. There's also supposedly a pipe organ way down in the mix as the song builds. It's not much of a change, but it does add to the flavor of the song.

I was never a huge fan of that song in particular, but the single mix won me over.

Harry

The single version of "Solitaire" has an extra guitar figure at around the 1 minute mark. There's also supposedly a pipe organ way down in the mix as the song builds. It's not much of a change, but it does add to the flavor of the song.

I was never a huge fan of that song in particular, but the single mix won me over.

Harry
Thanks again, Harry.

Harry

I really love the single version, it sure took long enough for us to finally get it. However, I still find the mono single 45 to be most pleasing to my ears. :phones:Just think of all the money I could have saved by just sticking to the mono 45 :laugh:

I also wanted to mention, I pulled out my Netherlands The Ultimate Collection and I am really impressed with the collection as a whole. It has a nice insert booklet with photos and there is a note inside thanking Richard for his helping to create this collection, so Richard was involved in this project. I love how it opens into this quad booklet and the texture of the cover (silky smooth) and how the albums are displayed inside the fold out design mimicking a road map line through the albums. It's put together nicely. I wonder how this new set will compare to this previous set.

Yeah, the single mix definitely has additional pipe organ in the background. Gives the mix more 'punch'.

I'm not a fickle sort of person, but when I heard the single version of Solitaire, I immediately favoured it over the standard album version, which I'd hitherto hated. The guitar twists and pipe organ overdubs gave me something to look forward to in an otherwise uneventful song.

The cover appears on Amazon....I kinda like it :cool:...it sorta looks like a quad fold, doesn't it?
The 1 review on amazon says that Goofus is included, so this sounds like the original NL re-issue which sounds suprising to me.

71-bhvShWwL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom