• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters "Collected"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just ordered the album, the review on amazon contains this text;

''This 2013 three CD set from the Netherlands contains every hit single by the Carpenters and with the exception of "Please Mr. Postman," "Top Of The World," "I Won't Last A Day Without You," "Yesterday Once More" and "Solitaire," these are the original hit versions (LP versions were utilized instead for the others). The hits play in chronological order and the long version of "Close To You" and the inclusion of "Goofus" are nice touches.''

I take it then that the mentioned tracks are different to the remastered classics versions? So, in this case we won't have the revving of engines at the end of YOM. I wonder if 'ticket to ride' is original album version or '73 one...
Once I have it, I will give full details.........

Regards
Bob

"every hit single...with the exception of...'Yesterday Once More'"

I read that as "Yesterday Once More" is not the hit single version. The others that ARE the hit single versions are the songs where the album version and the single version are identical. Thus, I make the assumption that "Yesterday Once More" will also be the album version, and therefore have the revving of engines.

My take on this set is that it's going to be identical to the original NL set from 2006, with all Remastered Classics version, as heard on the albums.

That's the way I read it.

Harry

Look forward to your review Bob. It does sound like it will be identical to the original NL release but you can advise first hand. I wonder if it will be packaged the same inside as well.

Yes Harry, i tend to agree with you....... The tracks mentioned are the ones that were slightly different for the single versions, so i think it looks like it's going to be identical to the dutch 2006 set.

I have a feeling I'm going to find the revving of engines irritating on YOM and would have much preferred '73 version of Ticket to Ride, but you can't have everything can you!!!

Hope it comes soon, I always wanted a copy of that Dutch set, so it will be excellent to have it.

I liked the British 2cd Ultimate edition, but it missed off 'make believe its your first time' which was a charted single here in UK, one of my favourite tracks, but is included in this set.

It's always lovely and exciting I feel when a new release is released, spreads a little bit ( or BIG bit! ) of that Carpenters magic around amongst us all again!! hehe

Best wishes
Bob

Track listing with times posted on eBay:

UPC: 0600753428955
Label: Universal Music

Track List:
[Disc 1]
Ticket To Ride 1969
1. Ticket To Ride (04:12)
Close To You 1970
2. (They Long To Be) Close To You (04:31)
3. We've Only Just Begun (03:06)
Carpenters 1971
4. For All We Know (02:37)
5. Rainy Days And Mondays (03:38)
6. Superstar (03:50)
A Song For Eachother 1972
7. Bless The Beasts And Children (03:08)
8. Hurting Each Other (02:47)
9. It's Going To Take Some Time (02:57)
10. Goodbye To Love (03:57)
11. Top Of The World (02:59)
12. I Won't Last A Day Without You (03:54)
Now & Then 1973
13. Sing (03:16)
14. Yesterday Once More (03:55)
15. This Masquerade (04:51)
16. Jambalaya (On The Bayou) (03:43)
Horizon 1975
17. Please Mr. Postman (02:49)

[Disc 2]
Horizon 1975
1. Desperado (03:37)
2. Only Yesterday (04:09)
3. Solitaire (04:41)
A Kind Of Hush 1976
4. There's A Kind Of Hush (02:57)
5. I Need To Be In Love (03:46)
6. Goofus (03:11)
Passage 1977
7. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song (03:43)
8. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem Of World Contact Day) (07:04)
9. Sweet Sweet Smile (03:03)
Made In America 1981
10. I Believe You (03:55)
11. Touch Me When We're Dancing (03:20)
12. (Want You) Back In My Life Again (03:42)
13. Those Good Old Dreams (04:11)
14. Beechwood 4-5789 (03:06)
Voice Of The Heart 1983
15. Now (03:52)
16. Make Believe It's Your First Time (04:10)
17. Trying To Get The Feeling Again (04:21)

[Disc 3]
KAREN CARPENTER
Karen Carpenter 1996
1. Lovelines (05:03)
2. If I Had You (03:53)
3. Still Crazy After All These Years (04:15)

RICHARD CARPENTER
Time 1987
4. When Time Was All We Had (03:05)
5. Calling You Name Again (04:19)
Pianist • Arranger • Composer • Conductor 1998
6. Sandy (03:52)
7. Karen's Theme (02:39)

CARPENTERS COLLECTED arrived today, and as we've all deduced, this is an exact re-pressing of the 2006 Netherlands ULTIMATE COLLECTION. Placing the discs in my computer, it brings up the tracks from ULTIMATE COLLECTION, the artwork, the track list, the timings, and the fact that it's already been ripped to the computer.

Thus, it contains all of the original album mixes as made for the Remastered Classics collection of discs in 1998-99. And we know that these are nearly 100% the same as the original album vinyl mixes. The exception is "Those Good Old Dreams" with it's reduced synth part, which is how it appears on the remasters.

I'm not decided on how I should enter it in the Resource database, since its an exact repressing. I could just combine the ULTIMATE and COLLECTED on one page, the way I did with CLASSICS and the 85 YESTERDAY ONCE MORE.

As the packaging, this one gets a notch lower than the ULTIMATE COLLECTION. Yes, it's a similar quad-fold digipak. The cardboard material has a rough texture to it, not a smooth and refined cardboard like ULTIMATE. Some quick digital camera pictures:

Front cover:
IMG_0160.JPG

First fold-open:
IMG_0161.JPG

Left side of inside. Left pocket includes the booklet:
IMG_0162.JPG

Right side of inside. Right pocket includes the solo CD:
IMG_0163.JPG

Booklet opened, and CD#3
IMG_0164.JPG

The back cover is just a track list under a large Carpenters logo. There are no A&M logos anywhere, only Universal. The booklet contains the same exact text as the ULTIMATE COLLECTION, just all different fonts.

I had this on order from Amazon, but they never shipped it, and kept listing it as back-ordered, so I cancelled it and ordered it for a better price from an eBay seller in California. That was Tuesday or Wednesday and it arrived today.

Harry

Wow, I like the artwork better on this than the NL release. The first fold open is so unusual, CD size Karen solo and then Richard glancing over at Karen...interesting. I like the Kodak film strips too. It looks nicely packaged in the pics.

Thanks for the info Harry, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, looking forward to it.

Re how you should enter it on the database - i tend to agree with you, as it is an exact replica of the original NL collection, so it would be easier to include both collection names under the same listing etc, as you say you did with YOM'85 and Classics?

I must say I'm surprised Universal were given permission to release this collection again, perhaps Richard has had a rethink. Maybe because there are NO remixes involved is the reason.

Joeyesterday - Apart from singles '69-73 and '74 - 78 ( albeit cant smile is slightly different version )plus rare Yesterday Once More UK 1984 collection, all compilations have remixes in them. The best way to find out is to check the database - http://carpenters.amcorner.com/ - and look under 'albums and songs'. This will list all the compilation albums and will tell you what version of each song is included in each album.
I used to not like the remixes at all, but I've warmed to them a bit more as the years have gone on, if you were used to the original versions, with some people it can be harder perhaps to get used to the remixes.

A good collection is Yesterday Once More 1985 - http://carpenters.amcorner.com/album/yesterday-once-more-85 - it's quite easy to find and although it has 'some' remixes, they aren't the 'severe' ones as i call them!! It's gonna take some time, is one remix I can't get used to, that stereo piano bugs me!!

Thanks for the pics and info Harry, I'd prefer '73 ticket to ride and single version of yesyetrday once more, but as usual, you can't please everybody!!

Regards
Bob

My gut told me that I should enter the new comp on its own, since there's been a seven year gap since the older set. It was easy enough to do, and the Resource has been updated to include the new COLLECTED.

Harry

I agree that it warrants it's own page, I think they got it right with all the photos and layout, a welcome change to all usual compilations.

I was wondering, how is the sound mastering is compared to the NL? So they must have kept the master tapes for the past 7 yrs.

Just received mine today, a couple of creases on the case which is annoying, but as its not in a usual plastic case, it probably can't be helped.

I really like it ............. it's a really well put together compilation, the art work and pictures are different too.......... The front pic though could do with being a little bit sharper in quality, on close inspection, but I'm just a bit picky!

Nice to hear album version of close to you on a compilation ..........

Bob

Bob, if you ordered from Amazon...if it was me....I would send an email about the item being delivered with creases on the cover, hey you paid good money for a product...you didn't pay for creases. Amazon is pretty good about this stuff even offering a free shipping label (ask about that) and then they will ship out the same product. I would never pay for a product that's been beat up.

I agree about the cover photo, I could see that upon the scan above.

Hi Chris,

I do agree with you and I'm normally so incredibly fussy and HATE cracked cases and snapped off spindle brackets inside etc etc.
However, I do feel that it WAS in perfect condition when it was posted. It was in a padded envelope rather than the cardboard amazon normal box, as it was a third party seller......... It was coming from Germany so I was 'prepared' for it to be a little bit marked, especially as it's a digipack version and not in a plastic normal cd case.
My partner has told me not to be quite so fussy and to control my OCD a bit!! If it was 'seriously' marked and even RIPPED, then i would certainly return it.
Actually, i recently bought the 1985 yesterday once more 2 cd set ( amazon marketplace), the first one had the inside booklet ripped totally in two - that went back! Then i ordered classics vol 2 as an alternative and only got one disc - that went back!! The third time i ordered it, it arrived in an ok condition!
It's a nice set actually, I'm glad i have it........ Now my OCD is kicking in and I KNOW I'll have a problem deciding WHICH is my most preferred compilation set now!!hehe

Regards
Bob

Returning from my "dealer" today w/2 Make Believe 45's in tip top cond. Yet another copy of the soundtrack to Bless the Beasts...irresistible! A near mint Live in Japan double lp complete with its booklet and a fold-out poster that I don't recall included in my other copies. Also, an ideal original jacketed copy of Goodbye to Love which features the lovely SONG FOR YOU portrait, 2 very desirable Touch Me's, a gorgeous Postman and a small bounty of pic sleeves w/o 45'2. These are in fine- to- good cond. and here again impossible to say no to. In extensive searches and pursuits I've found that Honolulu City Lights is a toughie to locate. Fortune has it that at release I did my typical overzealous snatch and grab and garnered several copies then. You know what was a real kick back in the day? Buying out the Calling Occupants 45's at DJ's Sound City and being completely unaware of the newly re-recorded Can't Smile w/o You on the B-side. It wasn't til days later that I had my aural surprise. Then of course it appeared on the English release of C's Singles '74 to '78. What a jolt to ruffle thru a used bin in '78 and discover that! The shiny gold jacket...deeelicious!! I love love the single mix of Occupants. Initial listen I thought what in the hoo-hay is this strange and most unusual offering? Given that STAR WARS was a hit, I felt the release timely and a way cool departure. That tune alone was worth the wait for PASSAGE and the singles extended version. Peluso has worn a little yet I still enjoy Richard's martianesque vocals thru-out. I found myself incredibly glad to hear Sweet Sweet Smile kick off side 2. Here I'm jumping ahead. That lp is subject to the next review.

Sidenote: When you choose to live in an actual rainforest for 9 mos of the year and then ol' Portland hits 90* it's a shock to the system to say the least. I'm trying to remember near record temps in Death Valley, Ca. today predicted at 129* but it continues to swing back to poor hot me. I know, boo hoo.

Had seen Collected on eBay and didn't order. It showed up again and I ordered. Very excited. It is a great looking collection.

Had seen Collected on eBay and didn't order. It showed up again and I ordered. Very excited. It is a great looking collection.

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. It was a great set in 2006, and it's good that it's out again.

Harry

so glad I bought it. I missed out on the 2006 3-CD set and then bought the UK 2-cd set. It was very weird listening to this today. I of course have every album on vinyl, but hadn't listened to them in the last few years. I have almost all of the complilations (of course they all have mixes) and I have mp3 of all of the albums (given to me by a friend) but I think they must be from the early CDs. So to hear these "original" mixes was a little strange today. I enjoyed hearing them again like I did in the beginning and am so glad to have this set, it was just so different. I tried to explain it to my family (who hear about Carpenters all of the time) and they were like "oh, ok"...hahahaha
JOnathan

I tried to explain it to my family (who hear about Carpenters all of the time) and they were like "oh, ok"...hahahaha
JOnathan

There's no explaining it. Just tell them what the package is - change the subject - and move on. :)

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom