Carpenters Songs That You Used To Hate But Now Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

natureaker

Just recently, I've noticed that they're multiple Carpenters songs that I used to always skip, but now, I absolutely love them! It got me thinking about what Carpenters songs you might've been not particularly fond of at first, but then later loved. I feel like it's a somewhat common thing for that to happen, but I decided to share some of mine here.

One song I never really enjoyed at first was Touch Me When We Were Dancing. When I first heard it, something just felt not right. Whenever it came on, I non-hesitantly skipped it. But as time seemed to go on, it got stuck in my head and I had sudden urges to listen to the song. Now I find it so amazing!

I'm pretty sure I talked about Calling Occupants in a thread recently about how I thought it was strange and such. Well, now I love it. I think what I didn't like when I first heard it was the announcer beginning and the alien voices. Something about that I guess must've creeped me out.

So what are some songs by the Carpenters that you didn't like at first listen, but now can't seem to get enough of?

Hate's a strong word here... :D

"Calling Occupants" is definitely one, and "Druscilla Penny" (never disliked these though). The entire "Ticket to Ride" album is a better example: as a casual listener, I really didn't like it, but now it easily ranks top three. Opinions change as the time of being a Carpenters fan goes on (and the obsession continues to take hold of you :)).

Great topic, natureaker!

I can think of 3 songs in particular:

"B'wana She No Home"
Original thoughts: a strange sound and style coming from my favorite recording artists.
Revisionist thinking: infectious jazzy style, expert musicianship, seductive vocals from Karen.
Personal anecdote: The entire Passage album was to me originally somewhat disappointing, given its shorter song list, missing traditional logo, and some song choices that were deviations from the norm. I instantly liked "Two Sides," "All You Get From Love Is a Love Song," and "I Just Fall in Love Again," but I didn't care much for the remainder. Over time, however, I have come to appreciate some of the other songs as well, particularly "B'wana She No Home" and "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft." Hmmm.... Maybe the reason there were only 8 songs on the album is because that's all the text that would fit on the back of the album cover, given the lengths of most of the song titles. :)

"One More Time"
Original thoughts: a somewhat boring and depressing lyric, the melody of which didn't "grab" me.
Revisionist thinking: a sweet ballad that builds and draws the listener in with Karen's soulful interpretation.
Personal anecdote: To this day, any reference to Louisiana, or Baton Rouge, reminds me of this beautiful song, and I become ready to "close my eyes and everything's alright."

"Crescent Noon"
Original thoughts: a depressing tone and lyric.
Revisionist thinking: a beautiful, sweeping ballad with awesome multilayered harmonies ("waiting to be heard").
Personal anecdote: In my brief foray into piano lessons, I was ecstatic that I could play the chords and sing the lyric, but my original belief that I had a latent talent for piano playing was woefully misguided and inaccurate. (Hey, my singing isn't anything riveting either. :))

I didn't like Ticket to Ride, Passage, Lovelines, or A Kind of Hush when I first heard the albums. Second time around, I was in love! :love:

Can't say I've hated any. Love some productions, all vocals and I can't be boxed in.

I was 10 in the summer of 1972 when I got the 'Ticket To Ride' LP from a friend for my birthday. I wasn't enamored with it, either, on first listen, which was the only time that happened with a Carpenters album. But that changed drastically over the years, and it's probably my most listened to Carpenters album today (along with 'Close To You').

I played Ticket/Offering in the car yesterday. Followed by A SONG FOR YOU. I enjoy hearing the precursor to history. It's very eclectic. My only complaint is on SOMEDAY and Bendiction where I hear way too much distortion at songs end. I had hoped the Remastered Classics would've addressed that.

That distortion is in the master tape unfortunately.

As to this topic, I can't ever recall "hating" a Carpenters song. There are a few I dislike, and it's always been so. I haven't really changed my mind on any song, with one possible exception. I never really disliked "Solitaire", but I did find it to be a bit draggy. Having never bought the single, and always hearing the song on FM stations that likely used the album track, it was a revelation to hear the single mix when the US GOLD included it. Though the changes are mild, I have a more favorable outlook on the song now. That's the only song that's really changed at all in my estimation.

Early on I couldn't bring myself to get through "Crescent Noon" or "Ticket to Ride." Now, they're both among my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom