• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters Songs That You Used To Hate But Now Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

natureaker

Just recently, I've noticed that they're multiple Carpenters songs that I used to always skip, but now, I absolutely love them! It got me thinking about what Carpenters songs you might've been not particularly fond of at first, but then later loved. I feel like it's a somewhat common thing for that to happen, but I decided to share some of mine here.

One song I never really enjoyed at first was Touch Me When We Were Dancing. When I first heard it, something just felt not right. Whenever it came on, I non-hesitantly skipped it. But as time seemed to go on, it got stuck in my head and I had sudden urges to listen to the song. Now I find it so amazing!

I'm pretty sure I talked about Calling Occupants in a thread recently about how I thought it was strange and such. Well, now I love it. I think what I didn't like when I first heard it was the announcer beginning and the alien voices. Something about that I guess must've creeped me out.

So what are some songs by the Carpenters that you didn't like at first listen, but now can't seem to get enough of?

Hate's a strong word here... :D

"Calling Occupants" is definitely one, and "Druscilla Penny" (never disliked these though). The entire "Ticket to Ride" album is a better example: as a casual listener, I really didn't like it, but now it easily ranks top three. Opinions change as the time of being a Carpenters fan goes on (and the obsession continues to take hold of you :)).

Great topic, natureaker!

I can think of 3 songs in particular:

"B'wana She No Home"
Original thoughts: a strange sound and style coming from my favorite recording artists.
Revisionist thinking: infectious jazzy style, expert musicianship, seductive vocals from Karen.
Personal anecdote: The entire Passage album was to me originally somewhat disappointing, given its shorter song list, missing traditional logo, and some song choices that were deviations from the norm. I instantly liked "Two Sides," "All You Get From Love Is a Love Song," and "I Just Fall in Love Again," but I didn't care much for the remainder. Over time, however, I have come to appreciate some of the other songs as well, particularly "B'wana She No Home" and "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft." Hmmm.... Maybe the reason there were only 8 songs on the album is because that's all the text that would fit on the back of the album cover, given the lengths of most of the song titles. :)

"One More Time"
Original thoughts: a somewhat boring and depressing lyric, the melody of which didn't "grab" me.
Revisionist thinking: a sweet ballad that builds and draws the listener in with Karen's soulful interpretation.
Personal anecdote: To this day, any reference to Louisiana, or Baton Rouge, reminds me of this beautiful song, and I become ready to "close my eyes and everything's alright."

"Crescent Noon"
Original thoughts: a depressing tone and lyric.
Revisionist thinking: a beautiful, sweeping ballad with awesome multilayered harmonies ("waiting to be heard").
Personal anecdote: In my brief foray into piano lessons, I was ecstatic that I could play the chords and sing the lyric, but my original belief that I had a latent talent for piano playing was woefully misguided and inaccurate. (Hey, my singing isn't anything riveting either. :))

I didn't like Ticket to Ride, Passage, Lovelines, or A Kind of Hush when I first heard the albums. Second time around, I was in love! :love:

Can't say I've hated any. Love some productions, all vocals and I can't be boxed in.

I was 10 in the summer of 1972 when I got the 'Ticket To Ride' LP from a friend for my birthday. I wasn't enamored with it, either, on first listen, which was the only time that happened with a Carpenters album. But that changed drastically over the years, and it's probably my most listened to Carpenters album today (along with 'Close To You').

I played Ticket/Offering in the car yesterday. Followed by A SONG FOR YOU. I enjoy hearing the precursor to history. It's very eclectic. My only complaint is on SOMEDAY and Bendiction where I hear way too much distortion at songs end. I had hoped the Remastered Classics would've addressed that.

That distortion is in the master tape unfortunately.

As to this topic, I can't ever recall "hating" a Carpenters song. There are a few I dislike, and it's always been so. I haven't really changed my mind on any song, with one possible exception. I never really disliked "Solitaire", but I did find it to be a bit draggy. Having never bought the single, and always hearing the song on FM stations that likely used the album track, it was a revelation to hear the single mix when the US GOLD included it. Though the changes are mild, I have a more favorable outlook on the song now. That's the only song that's really changed at all in my estimation.

Early on I couldn't bring myself to get through "Crescent Noon" or "Ticket to Ride." Now, they're both among my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom