• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpeters Concert tour dates from the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen's schedule note, which Richard now has, has the complete list(?)

I don't know the date, but I think I have read an episode in Dallas in International Fan Club Newsletter back then.

Sakura

From old Rocky's site;

Carpenters Fan Club Newsletter #27 - July, 1973

By the time you read this, Karen and Richard and the Carpenters back-up group will have contributed again to the Cancer Society. On July 4th at 1:00 p.m. they will play softball against the dynamic personalities of station WCAU, FM, AM, TV. It will be played in the Tally-Hotel Field in Valley Forge, adjacent to the new Valley Forge Music Fair. That should be SOME game! All proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to the Cancer Society.

Carpenters wrist watches are available but the Fan Club does not handle them.

For those of you who are wondering who the new drummer is that sits in for Karen when she stands to sing, it is none other that Cubby O'Brien, former TV Disney Mouseketeer! His first show with Karen and Richard was in Albuquerque. This concert was also the first time Karen and Richard did SING with local school children. Karen and Richard really love this part of their concert. The kids are adorable and do a fine job of singing while they nervously finger their dresses, pull on their jeans, or hold on to their shirts. They dress in minis, maxis, slacks, suites or jeans. Their hair is pony-tailed, braided, curled, or hangs loosely around their shoulders. They are tiny, chubby, short and tall - sometimes taller than Karen. They smile confidently displaying a lack of front teeth or are seriously "petrified". They come on cold turkey with no beforehand rehearsal with Karen and Richard.

Another first in Albuquerque was the group dress. The "Layered" look was evident as each member of the group appeared dressed differently from the others. Richard wore a pair of green shoes, so large he couldn't get them under the piano. Karen said she about cracked up during her rendition of Close To You when she heard a decided "clunk" with every press of the foot pedal.

In Las Cruses, Richard and Karen were flabbergasted at the number of stairs they had to climb to get to their dressing room from the stage. They were also astonished to find they had to walk under the bleachers to reach the stage. Quite a set-up! Karen says Odessa must have the world's largest jack-rabbits. She was quite impressed. Wichita Falls has one of the most beautiful concert halls Karen and Richard have ever played in. The 26 youngsters that sand in concert with them there really filled the stage. For relaxation there the group held races and engaged in a friendly ice fight, taking care not to hurt each other. Bill Skiles bought himself an alarm wrist watch which proceeded to go off as the group walked down the street. It sounded like a burglar alarm and scared them out of their wits. I have a hunch Bill planned it that way.

More fun in Austin. This time water fights with toy water pistols which led to squeeze-type spray bottles when the battle became more intense, and they finally gave way to buckets and everyone got a good soaking. Seems Cubby ended up in the pool with his clothes on.

From Austin, the group caravan to Waco in2 limos and 2 rented cars. Enroute, Karen and Richard were serenaded by their chauffeur who sang them one of his own compositions. One of the cars had a blow-out so Dan & Pete were tire changer volunteers. The concert hall in Waco was "barely". The roof had blown off during one to the Texas tornadoes and the building was still under repair.

Dallas was an excellent date in sprite of the lack of dressing rooms in the concert hall. The entire group found themselves in one big room which was to serve as a dressing room for all of them. They managed to screen Karen off in a corner by using the wardrobe trunks. That's show biz. Following the concert, a party was given in Karen and Richard's honor by the SHOWCO people at their headquarters there.

In San Antonio, Carpenter disciples hounded Karen and Richard nearly every step they took when they did the restaurant to restaurant trek in search of a meal. All restaurants were closed so after an unsuccessful quest they returned, hungry, to their rooms where they watched TV. Guess we'll have to leave them hungry in their rooms there but be assured, next month we'll pick them up in New Orleans next month for more Carpenters Capers.

See y then, EV.

Where is San Antonio? Another state?

There was another dressing room story in one of newsletters, Mary's younger(?) brother helped them.

KarenCarpenter.com site owner may still compile tour dates.

Sakura

Funny this topic is up. Oct 8th was the 36th ann of my first CarpenterS concert here in Portland. I still have the review that states they drew over 10,000 to our Memorial Coliseum.

By the time you read this, Karen and Richard and the Carpenters back-up group will have contributed again to the Cancer Society. On July 4th at 1:00 p.m. they will play softball against the dynamic personalities of station WCAU, FM, AM, TV. It will be played in the Tally-Hotel Field in Valley Forge, adjacent to the new Valley Forge Music Fair. That should be SOME game! All proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to the Cancer Society.

I wish I remembered more about that day and that game - I know I was there! Probably overwhelmed, my memory just shut down! I have a few vague memories of the ball field next the Valley Forge Music Fair, the Carpenters entourage playing the "celebs" from the radio-TV combo.

Harry

I wish I remembered more about that day and that game - I know I was there! Probably overwhelmed, my memory just shut down! I have a few vague memories of the ball field next the Valley Forge Music Fair, the Carpenters entourage playing the "celebs" from the radio-TV combo.
Thats when I got my first autograph from Karen. She was still in her softball outfit in shorts! I stalked them at the Sheraton Valley Forge and she signed a piece of typing paper. I have all of the original newsletters so maybe I can compile the tour schedules.

Thank you, Mark.

Charity softball in Japan was canceled in 1975. I think I read that Richard was to pitch. Has anyone seen or read that Richard was a pitcher at any other time? Did Karen pitch at charity softball in autumn of 1975?

When was the game against WPRO Radio DJ team or someone? 1975 and 1977?

I think I have seen some LEAD SISTER T-shirt, not white. One of them;
http://carpentersfans.blogspot.com/2008/07/never-before-seen-carpenters-radio.html
carpentersradio.jpg

I have asked what color another LEAD SISTER T-shirt was for years? Anyone?

Sakura

How bout Chicago and Milwaukee? Any one know where the dynamic duo played at?

Does anyone know if the Carpenters ever shared a bill with either Sergio Mendes, Gino Vannelli, 5th Dimension or Captain & Tennille?

Does anyone know if the Carpenters ever shared a bill with either Sergio Mendes, Gino Vannelli, 5th Dimension or Captain & Tennille?

...they appeared on a 5th Dimension TV special (Traveling Sunshine, maybe?) I have the tape, but never shared a bill with those listed.

McFarland Auditorium, Dallas.

Carpenters performed in Chicago at least several times.

An old member told me that she went to see the concert in Chicago once. She was too young to attend others. I think I have read some episodes about Carpenters in Chicago, too.

Sakura

SakuraSYayoi said:
McFarland Auditorium, Dallas.

Carpenters performed in Chicago at least several times.

An old member told me that she went to see the concert in Chicago once. She was too young to attend others. I think I have read some episodes about Carpenters in Chicago, too.

Sakura

It would of been great to seen them in a venue like PARK WEST. It's very intimate and you really do get close up & personal with the band. Same goes for Kimballs East in Emeryville, CA

Carpenters played for a week during the Summer of 1976 at the Aire Crown Theatre here in Chicago. That's where Karen met Elizabeth Van Ness, who interviewed her at a station downtown, and then took her on a shopping trip around the city. They remained lifelong friends after Elizabeth moved to L.A.
I saw the Carpenters my one and only time on April 21st, 1973, in Kansas City, Missouri (my hometown). Sat in the 6th row! I still have the pictures from the show. Not great quality, but you can definitely tell it's Karen! I would have had a recording of the show, but my brother accidentally DROPPED my recorder on the way inside, and broke it. Never got over that one....I was 11 years old. Remember the show vividly, and he was a very cool older brother to take me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom