• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Chet Baker's Influence On Herb Alpert

Status
Not open for further replies.

PartyRico

I bet this has been covered before, but I feel the late great Chet Baker also influenced Herb Alpert. I think Chet's singing served as a sort of "springboard" for Herb. They both have that "vulnerable" yet emotional tinge in their voices. It's sad Chet is no longer with us, yet he left a vast and wonderful recorded musical legacy behind. If any of you have not seen his movie from 88-89 rent "Let's Get Lost" a great portrait of the artist and much great music therein.

Hey, I'm a huge Chet Baker fan (as well as Alpert), and I think your observation makes sense. Chet was a West Coast guy for most of the 50's, at the peak of his U.S. popularity, so it's only natural Herb would have known of him. Like Herb, Chet wasn't a high-note player, and again like Herb, he was a melodic, lyrical player. He usually played "soft and relaxed," like some of Herb's stuff. I can hear an influence particularly on "Herb Alpert's Ninth." Chet was a jazz legend, Herb's not, but I agree's there's a connection. Herb gave the drug-addled Chet a chance at A & M in the mid/late 70's, and Chet responded with some fine playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom