• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Clay Aiken sings "Solitaire" tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Clay (as a guest) sings Solitaire tonight on American Idol about 25 minutes into the show. Thought some of you may want to catch it if it hasn't aired where you are yet.

Chris

I agree, Mark. While I'm not completely happy with the arrangement, his voice really is great. I bought the single. It's nice and sort of aggravating at the same time. :confused: Perhaps he "shows off" a little too much in it. He was probably coached to do so. He is quite a talent though.

Sorry Kids,

Stong voice or not, Karen has the ultimate "stamp" on this one! It really seemed to me that Clay had listened to Karen's rendition. He used familiar phrasing and intonations. Not an "original" at all. Maybe I'm biased but I believe that covers of CarpenterS songs is a waste of time. The original performance's cannot be erased or recaptured in any way. A signature if you will. Clay, stick to Mary Had A Little Lamb or something else more appropriate.

Simply bored with renditions,

Jeff

Just bought the single. It's great.

I did notice the lyrics are different than the Carpenters version.
Did Neil Sedaka write new lyrics or are these in addition to what K&R recorded?
If these are the original lyrics, did they ever record them? Could an alternate version exist somewhere as an outake?

Mark

Wasn't Sedaka the first one to record this song, incidentally? He released it on two different albums, if memory serves me right, and the second came out at the exact same time as "Horizon," but I think the first one came out several years prior to "Horizon."

Jeff F.
NP: Neil Sedaka "The Immigrant"

I finally got his singles at K-Mart of all places. I like it but not as well as the Carpenters version or Neil's. The Carpenters version just sounds the best to me.

Notice that I used "The Carpenters" because "Carpenters" wouldn't have sounded right. :D

Hello...

Andy Williams released an album with Solitaire as its title track in 1973 and it was a big hit in the UK...apparently, the album was in the charts for a long time (20 odd weeks) and 3 years later, in 1976, went gold in the US.

I remember my Dad having it in cassette form, where Andy sits alone on the cover, looking er...alone and lonely.

Calvin

I caught the last half of this while at some friends' house. I didn't know who this guy was/is and thought it was bloody aweful! I guess I am in the minority, but to me, it sounded pretty bad. My friends told me he had won a contest or something and is now famous. :shock: Whoa.

Since I didn't hear all the lyrics, I could'nt tell if it was a Carpenters inspired cover, or if he sang the "original" lyrics...which are quite strange..that refer to other cards in the deck. Glad Richard "restructured" the song to not be so corny.

AHA!

Geographer you had the same listening experience that I did. I knew that I couldn't be the only "cornerite" to be less than mesmorized. However, in the spirit of art-sake and so on...maybe Clay can experiment with yodeling, whistling or even the National Anthem. No doubt the Super Bowl would relish in his sweet vocals emanating thru-out the venue.

Just tryin' to give the kid an honest break...

Jeff

Clay Aiken's version of this song has really grown on me- it has a decidedly masculine feel to it that I enjoy. He just has an amzaing voice! Cant wait to hear his future albums and how he may change.

Mark

I think it's a really appropriate pick of covers for him, and it's one of the better cover versions from American Idol contestants (although I'm not sure that's saying much!), but I agree with Andrew, the Carpenters' version is still definitely better.
I'm still not sure, though, why they chose "The Way" as the second single from his album. If it had been up to me, I'd easily have gone with "When You Say You Love Me." That's the most annoyingly catchy song I've heard in a while. Hope they haven't ruled it out as a single.

Jeff F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom