• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Deluxe Editions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetijuanataxi

I wonder why Amazon.com is referring to the June 7th Herb Alpert releases as "Deluxe Editions"? They don't refer to SOTB or TLB that way. Wonder what extras we're getting on these.

David,
curious........

Please let's not get into a huge digipak debate again. Search the archives, if you want to add to that debate (which isn't even a debate, since Herb himself decided on the digipaks.)

As for the initial question here: It's probably just a sales tactic by Amazon. Something to call attention and/or get the "casual" buyers to take a look. In other words, salesmanship. We have never been told of any extras in the June releases -- although we could be surprised!

Maybe Amazon is using it to differentiate between the original 1988 CDSs (which they still sell used via indy dealers at huge mark up). I suspect that since WC&OD was at one time touted as a "Deluxe Edition" we may be getting two bonus tracks on each of the June releases. Well, here's hoping anyway!

--Mr Bill

Just marketing terminology. Amazon doesn't just pull this stuff out of thin air--they only list items according to what the label tells them, and it's most likely done electronically (via disk or data file).

The packaging will be no different from the CDs that have already been released, in other words.

The track listings are up elsewhere, like CD Universe, and there are no extra tracks listed, so don't get your hopes up. Be happy with what we're getting!

Optimism - it's catchy!

Harry

I'm looking at the slick sent to Sony/BMG customers and -as expected-no additional tracks-and they refer to the packaging as "deluxe" but do not go into any detail. I suspect this is like my wife's uncle,who does the vacuuming in his house and asks his wife if she wants the regular quick sweep or the "deluxe", if company is coming. The "deluxe" means that furniture will be moved. The slcik does mention that Herb sold 13.7 million albums in 1966-I've never seen such an exact number of units sold before. Mac

FYI, Shout! Factory's website now has all three deluxe editions listed and there are pictures and song lists for each. No samples yet though. Also at last look on Amazon, GOING PLACES was already up to #1358 in sales from #5298 acouple of days ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses WHIPPED CREAM eventually.

David,
watchin SF website religiously......

Many cardboard packages are showing up on the shelves lately. I wonder if it's because of the rise of gas prices. Plastic is a petroleum derivative, so it's getting expensive too.

While I don't like cardboard packages I expect to see more until gas prices decline.
JB

I think it also allows the artist to be a bit more creative with the packaging. There's also shipping to be considered. Even with the posters enclosed, a carton of WHIPPED CREAM in the digipaks will weigh quite a bit less than a comparable carton of jewelboxes. You can also get more units into a box because the pack isn't as thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom