• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Did Karen play any instruments other than drums and bass guitar?

Buried Alien

Karen Carpenter was famously a drummer as well as a singer, and she even played bass guitar on some tracks of the Carpenters' first album (wish there were existing photographs or film footage of Karen playing the bass). Did she play any other instruments?

Karen Carpenter was famously a drummer as well as a singer, and she even played bass guitar on some tracks of the Carpenters' first album (wish there were existing photographs or film footage of Karen playing the bass). Did she play any other instruments?

She played vibraphone (with Richard) on Boat To Sail and percussion on When It's Gone. The "finger snap" at the end of Those Good Old Dreams is Karen as well :)

Before their recording career she also took lessons in the flute and accordion and played glockenspiel in marching band.

Incidentally, this is a vibraphone (or vibes):

1106722_22618_popup.jpg

Last edited:
She played vibraphone (with Richard) on Boat To Sail and percussion on When It's Gone. The "finger snap" at the end of Those Good Old Dreams is Karen as well :)

Before their recording career she also took lessons in the flute and accordion and played glockenspiel in marching band.

1106722_22618_popup.jpg
I didn't know the finger snap was Karen. Yet another reason to love that song.

I know that we've seen that photo of Karen and Richard as kids at the piano, but did Karen ever play the piano or keyboards (aside from in my dreams where I've seen her at a grand piano playing piano on (I've Had) The Time Of My Life with Richard off to the side in a rocking chair rocking a baby).

I know that we've seen that photo of Karen and Richard as kids at the piano, but did Karen ever play the piano or keyboards (aside from in my dreams where I've seen her at a grand piano playing piano on (I've Had) The Time Of My Life with Richard off to the side in a rocking chair rocking a baby).
I'm quite sure that she knew her way around a keyboard, but she didn't actually play.

1106722_22618_popup.jpg
This would definitely belong in the percussion family. Looks like Karen gravitated towards anything requiring a stick or hitting. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom