Do you think Richard will ever tour again?

Do you think Richard will ever tour again?

• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

I just watched the 1996 VH1 "Behind the music" of the Carpenters. The final segment shows Richard on stage in Japan. He talks about how much he loves the stage, and how he was performing on stage well before Karen joined him. Yet, except for a few benefit performances, Richard has avoided performing on the concert stage.

Each year that passes, the chance of a Richard Carpenter "salutes the Carpenters" tour diminishes. Do you think he will ever revisit his legacy and perform the music of the Carpenters live again?

Sadly no, because it doesn't make sense without Karen. Besides, the tickets wouldn't sell. A tour can only be successful, when a lot of people go and see the performer, not only the fans.

Bruno

On the rare times RC has performed, he has used video footage of Karen. For his Japan tour, he simply played along to concert footage. However, for the opening of the CCPA, he used a close up video of Karen singing "from this moment on". RC played his part live to a video Karen. It was great!.

It's just I look at the success they have achieved in London currently with the "Sinatra at the Palladium" show, or the "Elvis in concert" productions. On both occasions, they use video performances of the star, backed with a live band. They have been very successful. If you've ever seen the Elvis show, it's amazing. Elvis will perform, and then say "That's Ronnie Tutt on drums". Then, the real Ronnie Tutt stands up and takes a bow. It sounds goofy but it's really cool.

Even if RC just does the symphony pops circuit, there are many avenues available for him to perform. A two month summer tour while his kids are out of school is not that far fetched.

As for there still being an audience, I think there is. He could not sell out arenas, but certainly 3-5 thousand seats theaters. The Carpenters had so many fans, and there has been no live performances for 25 years. There would be a market for it. Team RC up with an opening act like David Gates, or the Captain & Tennille. What a great show!

I saw the Elvis concert (Elvis on Video backed a "reunion" of his real singers and real band) in 1998... It was his 25th Anniversary with that entourage and it was so funny to see how the musicians looked years-ago on that video screen VS. how they looked on stage! :laugh:

Well, since there were no "maybe"-type answers, I sadly had to say "No"... There are probably a lot of people who might love to see Richard (with maybe Karen shown via Video) but with too many sentiments towards Karen (by Richard and fans, alike) I'm afraid it looks all too unlikely... :sad:

Dave

I voted no. He would have to be promoting something basically in order for him to tour and he doesn't put out any Cd's any longer.

I think he missed his chance of ever having a US tour. The perfect time would have been when he released: R C Pianist, Arranger, etc... CD. That would have been a reason to tour. I also think had he done that he would have been blown away at the response he would have received with audience participation and involvement. Alot would have been there to show their respect and appreciation for all he did for the Carpenters. There is still a huge Carpenters following even to this day, some afraid to admit they love the Carpenters music and Richard would be suprised at the good reaction he would get. The tour would have to be titled RC, not Carpenters so he would have to have something on sale at record stores to promote (that's usually how those things work). What I would give to hear him play in person, it would really be an honor. I still feel cheated that I never got to hear Carpenters live in person or even Richard live in concert. At this point I would even be happy with a DVD of Carpenters live concert footage, such as Live at the Palladium or Live at New London Theatre, which still exists from the BBC on video.

But with each year that passes, I don't think it will ever happen. It's a sad thought to think I will never have the chance to meet him and tell him how much his music has affected me. I won't be going to CA so it will never happen.

This is a good topic and I am curious to see the poll results weeks later.

I think we should wait to see what happens with his new album that he said he was going to put out next year. Perhaps a tour to promote it will happen sometime around it's release? I seriously doubt that he would reach New Zealand unfortunately if a tour did happen as he and Karen never came here. Would be great to see him touring with the old band with Karen via video.....

Can't see it ever happening, and to be honest I think that's the right thing. Nothing Richard ever does could match the Carpenters, and really it would be sad to see him flogging round the world living in the past.

We have those fabulous records, and I was incredibly lucky to see K&R in concert in London in 1976. Let's be grateful, and let Richard enjoy his life and his family, and perhaps pop up with the odd charity event.

I tend to agree with Phil. Though some of us would be thrilled seeing Richard performing, most of the masses these days don't even know who Richard Carpenter is. And to see him up there on a stage with Karen only availble via video or audio tracks, just doesn't seem to me to be a great attraction.

Perhaps he should do what the ABBA folks did and work on weaving the songs into a Broadway-style show. Unfortunately though, the Carpenters material isn't as "audience-participation" ready as some of the ABBA songs turned out to be in the MAMMA MIA show.

Harry

Harry, I think you've come up with a great idea there - why not make Carpenters songs the backdrop to a show about them? I heard Andrew Lloyd Webber on BBC Radio 2 the other day saying he was looking for a new project!! I guess that wouldn't be right as he would need to write the music, and we already have that, in spades!

Seeing as how Richard has, in his own words, "For all intents and purposes, retired from the industry." I have to say with a sad sigh, that no, RC won't be touring again.

Talking of retirement, don't forget RC will be 60 in October. It's hard to believe, but who can blame him for taking life a little easier?

But you know getting back to Jeff's original statement about how much Richard stated he loved the stage in 1996 and he was on stage performing long before Karen came on the scene.

I believe that once you are an entertainer (which I believe Richard was born to do) it never leaves you it's always in your blood, that is probably why he said how much he loved being up on stage. Few people are as gifted as Richard to entertain the masses, not just anyone can do that but yet he gave it all up except for a few small appearances. Remember he was out there performing without Karen when he first started. Still, yes you have to honor his wishes that he doesn't want to be out on stage anymore and honor him wanting to retire but still a part of me says, 60 is still very young, look at Frankie Vali in the news still at over 70 and still performing, yes he is a vocalists but Richard is a fantastic piano player. I still think Richard was good enough to cut a score in a blockbuster movie, it's funny cause I still remember Karen telling Joan London on Good Morning America in 1981 that Karen wanted Richard to score a movie.

It's disappointing that there are a lot of performers "getting up in their years" that I have missed out or WILL miss out on seeing or who have, sadly, long passed away before I ever even had a chance to meet...

Well, in Richard's (and probably Herb's case) I obviously better make a trip to the Carpenters' Performing Arts Center (and Herb's VIBRATO) if I intend to see and meet either of them, then...

Dave

The poll is on a "tour"? I don't see Richard doing a tour... Doing some shows once in a while, yes, but never a tour.

Near 60 yrs old..., no Karen..., a huge family..., hmmm.., no.

He could do some shows around Christmas time (not this year) since he's still planning to release his Christmas album..., and if he ever comes close to Montreal for a special show..., I'll go see him for sure. :)

I love you Richard..., I love you Karen.
RolandChayerSpinningHeartSmiley02.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom