1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Does anyone collect the same album in different versions? (My first post Here)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Misael Castillo Lopez, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Misael Castillo Lopez

Misael Castillo Lopez New Member Thread Starter

Hello, this is my first post, the first thing is to be forgiven for my bad English, since I speak Spanish. Who collects the albums in different versions. Which ?
    :)

Brian likes this.
  2. Hola, Misael. I can assure you that your English is far superior to my Spanish!

A large number of fans here have collected multiple versions of the albums. We have old LPs and different issues of CDs too, including box set versions and different country releases, such as Japan.

We come to the Forum.

Misael Castillo Lopez likes this.
  3. Misael Castillo Lopez

Hello Harry, excuse my ignorance when writing for the first time in this forum, how do I upload a photo here?

4. You need to have the image hosted on the web and then use image tags here to get the picture to show.

5. Misael Castillo Lopez

[​IMG]
    In my collection I have the Russian version, the Chinese official and one of the united kingdom :)

6. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Bienvenidos, Misael! Welcome to the forums. :) I've never seen the 40/40 disc in multiple languages -- that's cool!

7. Misael Castillo Lopez

Thank you very much, I do not know if I am very fanatic but I like to put together the different versions of the same album, and rarer versions.:)
    Do you have any weird ones in yours? regards.
    [​IMG] :bangwall::bangwall::bangwall::bangwall::bangwall:

8. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

Misael, are you familiar with this? It's a version of Only Yesterday with an overture?

1989 version with Overture: single length with added Overture from SINGLES 1969-1973, stereo reversed
    – on this album- O MELHOR DE CARPENTERS-ONLY YESTERDAY.

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

Hi, Misael. On vinyl, I have pressings of 'Passage', 'A Kind of Hush', 'Horizon', 'Carpenters', 'Now and Then', 'Close to You', 'Christmas Portrait', 'The Singles' and 'The Singles 1974 - 1978' from different countries, namely Australia, USA, UK and Japan. I have mainly only bought these because I've seen them in second-hand bins for $3 or so each. There's been no other reason! Exception - I got the Japanese 'Horizon' because it includes a poster. Also, I have 'The Singles' and 'Now and Then' in quadrophonic. I have all the compilations that are unique to Australia. I went to Japan recently and got second copies of most of the CDs. This is because Japanese pressings are probably better quality. I also have a couple of gold editions - e.g. 'A Song for You', '22Hits' and 'The Singles'.

10. Misael Castillo Lopez

Mark-T, I know that version, but I never bought it. I heard it by another fan and it sounds rather strange the overture and stereo reversed I think not of the best. But it is an official version of Brazil. But in my collection I have this one that is called "the best of Carpenters" is an original version of Brazilian hits of 94 and released on vinyl and cd. Is this :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And "Brian" the quadrophonic are very rare and expensive, for me I think they have the best sound Carpenter, sound so natural and at the same time so clean the instruments and voices
    And I feel the same as the Japanese versions, they sound great, here are some of my favorites compilation or single. ahh and I also have the 13 mini lp + live in Japan but these sound like the original vinyls, Good or bad depends on taste for originals or remixes...
    [​IMG]

Mark-T, Brian and Eyewire like this.
  11. Brian

Brian Active Member

Great to see all your CDs, Misael! There have been countless Carpenters compilations released in Japan. Over there, they have a second-hand CD and book chain called Book-off. In there, I saw a few variations on a couple of the compilations. For instance, I remember seeing a couple of variations of '22 Hits of the Carpenters'. Those stores usually have a lot of different Carpenters compilations. Btw, I love the karaoke CD shown in your photo, mainly because you can hear the instrumentation and background vocals so well on it. I used to listen to that CD all the time. :)

12. Misael Castillo Lopez

I've always wanted to go to Japan, I plan to go to the Olympics in 2020, not only because of the carpenters but also because I love the anime culture, I think I want to buy everything related to carpenters and I think those used cd shops should Be cheaper to buy by amazon or ebay ... Regards Brian. It would be cool if you uploaded some photos of the Australian Carpenters version.

Brian likes this.
  13. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

Aside from the plastic and aluminum being different I have to wonder how they are superior. It's going to be the master that makes the difference, or being encoded in something like HDCD.

14. [​IMG]

I did some investigating into this compilation and it appears to be an updated re-release of the old REFLECTIONS compilation. Tracks and mixes are identical. As it is an official Universal release, I've added it to the Resource on the REFLECTIONS page.