• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"End Of The World™" Listening Pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
So you find out the world is going to end in a few days. What are you going to listen to before "whatever" happens? Tell us what's in your pile to listen to! After all, you can't take it with you. I'll post my list shortly. Right now I have to clean out the fridge and set the clock on the VCR. :D This is similar to a Desert Island list, but since you want to listen to everything possible, there is no limit other than what you can play over the course of the next couple of days.

220px-REM_End_of_the_World_US7.jpg

(And yes, any posts about the "events" May 21st that are not music related will be removed! We do have rules...)

I've always been partial to this moldy oldie for my "End Of The World" scenario.

The-End-of-the-World-Skeeter-Davis.png

:D

If I was convinced it were really going to happen, I'd probably play parts of many, many records, rather than sit through whole tracks - a sampling of all of my favorites.

Harry

I have a lot of scattered tracks myself, but there are some albums and individual songs I would need to play. Still thinking of a short list of must-plays, while watching for Mr. Grim Reaper to start bangin' on the front door. :D

Songs I would NOT listen to are any of my earworm songs. Those are songs that get stuck in your head whether you like them or not. I can think of a few Billy Joel songs that rattle around in my head at times and I can't get rid of them. And I don't like them.

"What's the matter with the clothes I'm wearin'? Can't you tell that your tie's to wide?" Ugh!

Harry

Well if you think about it, Billy Joel might be better than your other "favorite," Rod Stewart. :D

As for right now, though, I'd have to play a stack of recent favorites I dug out of storage:

Fleshtones: Up-Front EP (IRS Records)
Prince: a few tracks from Purple Rain, plus I'd have to play "1999" just on principle. :D
Related to the above, selections from The Time's Pandemonium.
Steely Dan: Aja in its entirety
Genesis: A Trick Of The Tail
An hour or so of my favorite Bacharach/David tunes sung by Dionne Warwick
Side 1 of Van Morrison's Moondance LP
"Whole Lotta Love," "Immigrant Song," "Achilles' Last Stand" and "The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin, and then Robert Plant's Shaken and Stirred album.
Earth Wind & Fire's That's The Way Of The World album.
Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Further Out
Bill Evans Waltz for Debby
The Crusaders: "Street Life" (full 13+ minute album version)

My last two I'd listen to would have to be Pat Metheny's Secret Story, followed by the Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls.

These albums:
Herb Alpert & the TjB "Warm"
Baja Marimba Band "Those Were The Days"
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 "Fool On The Hill"
Al Kooper "A Possible Projection Of The Future"
Todd Rundgren "Something / Anything"
Hall and Oates "War Babies"
Blood, Sweat and Tears "The Child Is The Father To The Man"
Steely Dan "The Royal Scam"
Baja Marimba Band "As Time Goes By"
Herb Alpert & the TjB "Whipped Cream AOD"

Some good picks there. I'd probably spin Hall & Oates Private Eyes since it was so big while we were in high school--a lot of good memories associated with that one.

I won't need to spin anything because I'm taking it all with me. (I figure there must be music in heaven, otherwise it would be less heavenly!)

Good idea. Everyone stick your mp3 players in your pocket (with some kind of headphones) so when the heavenly choirs get boring you can groove to some TJB or Baja Marimba Band sides!

Harry

I can only get about 20,000 songs on my larger Zune, and I think I can squeeze another 1250 or so into the smaller one.

Thing is, I'd rather take my rekkids. :D

when the heavenly choirs get boring you can groove to some TJB or Baja Marimba Band sides!
I figure Julius and some of the other BMB and TJB'ers are already there, so eventually the whole bands will be there and we can have some intense jammin! (Provided Herb isn't still reluctant to revisit his past!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom