• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Essentials Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolvox

Hi All!
On a recent road trip I took
with my mom, we were remeinising about the time we attended a Carpenters concert together and realized we were without any Carpenters CD's. So at the next stop I bought the Essentials collection. This is a set I had not
purchased in the past because I already had From The Top. I was wondering about the liner notes where Richard mentions that Karen
recorded her part of the Ella medely at A&M while Ella recorded her parts at the ABC studios.So I was wondering if there is a complete Karen version of My Funny Valentine or other tracks from this medely?
JIM

coolvox said:
So I was wondering if there is a complete Karen version of My Funny Valentine or other tracks from this medely?

I wouldn't think so, but you never know, especially given what happened with "Without A Song." First it was released with just the a capella opening on INTERPRETATIONS; then on AS TIME GOES BY we find that they magically had done the whole song themselves.

Richard's notes indicate that the older stars of the 40s and 50s liked to sing their parts live on television, whereas Karen and Ricahrd were recording studio "creatures." My suspicions are that this particular medley was recorded in the studio with only Karen's parts, and Ella Fitzgerald added hers "live" as they taped the show. Thus, on the soundstage, Karen was lipsynching, while Ella was singing live to the backing track.

What are your thoughts on ESSENTIAL COLLECTION? I think it's outstanding.

Harry
...with some ESSENTIAL thoughts, online...

I think that the Esentials Collection is fantastic because it
presents songs to people not framiliar with some of the gems found on earlier album releases.
If I were new to the Carpenters scene, this collection would spark my interest in obtaining all of the
albums that were released.
JIM

The MASTERING on the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION is superb! I think the full version (album/long version) of "Close To You" sounds incredible. If the 1999 remasters sounded like THAT... well... that would be incredible... it CAN be done so I wonder why they don't sound nearly that good.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom