• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Fandango – a tour de force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Sometimes I find myself so impressed and excited about an album that I can’t contain my emotions. “Fandango” is such an album. Last weekend I purchased a portable CD player and this morning while walking to work I listened to “Fandango” (CD-R copy of my LP). What a masterpiece -- strings, percussion, keyboards, background vocals, Julius Wechter on marimba and of course Herb Alpert playing trumpet -- the orchestration is brilliant. Heck, I even got goose bumps a few times. I must have looked like a geek because more than once I found myself waving my arms as if I was conducting the orchestra, especially when the string section would come in. I can’t point to any one song in particular as being a stand out; instead I consider the whole album as a single performance, similar to attending a classical music concert. When the last number was finished, which is the “Latin Medley”, I felt privileged to have listened and applauded. What a way to walk to work!

If any of Herb’s albums were ever going to be re-mastered and reissued, I would certainly hope “Fandango” is at the head of the list.

I'm actually glad "Fandango" (the title-track) got put on Herb's Definitive Hits; the song alone is a Tour-De-Force, much like a lot of his other later numbers.

The acoustic guitar intro and bass solo are what I like about it--and what Herb puts into it, as well as the electric guitar heard throughout.

Dave

...with at least something to say about the song; the LP, I haven't heard for years...

Mike said:
Sometimes I find myself so impressed and excited about an album that I can’t contain my emotions. “Fandango” is such an album. Last weekend I purchased a portable CD player and this morning while walking to work I listened to “Fandango” (CD-R copy of my LP).

I have the CD and LP versions of this. Glad I held onto the LP--the CD comes across as being a little "cold" to me, probably due to the early era of analog to digital converters used back then. LP has nice warmth. If it were remastered correctly, that would translate well to a CD. Plus, I got so used to listening to the LP (played it quite a bit in its day!), it's just natural to want to get up at the end of side 1. :)

I just about played the grooves off FANDANGO when it was released. Couldn't get enough of it. I made a cassette copy for the car and just about wore that out as well.

This was a great era for A&M Records. Herb Alpert and Lani Hall released some of their best material around this time. Yeah, FANDANGO is a winner clear across the board. Still as fresh as the day it was released, this is definitely a "feel good" album and one of Herb's highest accomplishments.

Jon

Just the best. FANDANGO is what drew me back to Herb's material after a decade of paying little attention. Thankfully that was a good time to play catch-up, grabbing LPs and CDs as I could find them.

I've got three different iterations of FANDANGO - the original LP, the AyM Discos version on LP, and the CD. Plus I've also got the four-song 12" sampler, and the 12" version of the title track.

Harry
...fondly remembering FANDANGO, online...

I have some mixed feelings about Fandango myself. On the one hand the songs, arrangements and sound of the album are quite good. Herb's solos, on the other hand, are rather tepid, with the exception of "Route 101". But on songs as "Fandango", "Latin Medley" (especially), "Push And Pull" and to some extent "Sugarloaf" the trumpet solos are kind of weak and aren't well thought out. What I really like about the album is how great the sound is, especially the acoustic guitars on some tunes. I've always thought of this album as a bit of a bridge between the TJB sound and his solo work at that time.

Capt. Bacardi
...probably in the minority on this topic online... :cool:

Captain Bacardi said:
I've always thought of this album as a bit of a bridge between the TJB sound and his solo work at that time.

Me too! Although I find his horn playing on FANDANGO to be more of a personal expression than anything else. Still a strong project as far as I'm concerned. :)

Jon

Because I will always associate Herb Alpert with the Tijuana Brass and most admire that era, the Fandango album appeals the most to me because it reminds me most of the TJB sound and style.

I also find that the main appeal of the album lies its overall sound.

One of my favorites as well, though I haven't heard the whole album in quite some time now. I could just picture what old Tijuana Brass fans were thinking when it was released. People were probably checking the liner notes to see if any of the TJB members were actually on it. I use to try to sing to "Quiereme Tal Como Soy" as a little kid. :oops: I think that's got to be one of Alpert's greatest vocal performances, even though of course, he is not a strong vocalist. He just sings those words with the ease of a native Spanish-speaker, IMO. I will agree that as Captaindave says, that the appeal lies with the sound. It's Herb Alpert gone back to his roots, plain and simple. This should definitely be on CD with no "drop-outs". On DEFINITIVE HITS, you hear the acoustic guitar and trumpets on "Route 101", but not the drums. And yes, I love that bass line on the title track! :)

FANDANGO has always been my favorite solo Herb Alpert album because it really captures the flavor and excitement of the TJB sound taken to a more latin influence. I remember thinking that Herb should have used that album to launch the TJB reunion instead of BULLISH, which had a more solo feel to it. "California Blues" could have been put on the "What Now My Love" LP as far as I'm concerned. The LP had all the elements of an updated TJB album right down to the uncredited Julius Wechter touches. I wish that Herb had continued along that trend with subsequent albums cause that's what he does best, not that his other albums weren't excellent in their own right, but Fandango by far stirred up the most emotion and retention value with me.

David,
about to watch "Matchstick Men"

It's been years since I've heard the "Fandango" album. I remember it being a very pretty sounding album. Very romantic etc. At that time HA (I was told) was promoting "Route 101" as the lead single, but......that there was regret because "Fandango" should have been it. I also heard :rolleyes: that the album didn't sell that well. Personally, I believe that was a shame.

Was it not recorded in Mexico City?
Also waiting for it on a CD......................Jay

From the back of the album cover: Recorded at CBS recording studios, Mexico City

Jay, I agree with your comment that it's very romantic. I've always thought that Herb was a romanticist at heart.

alpertfan said:
This should definitely be on CD with no "drop-outs". On DEFINITIVE HITS, you hear the acoustic guitar and trumpets on "Route 101", but not the drums.

I'm a bit confused by the above statement. Are you saying that you think the mix is different on "Route 101" between the LP and the DEF HITS CD?

My DEF HITS has plenty of drums on "Route 101".

Harry
...wondering if a dropout on Route 101 is comparable to a pothole on Route 309, online...

For me, Fandango is the last Herb Alpert album I can play all the way through and enjoy every minute. With everything that followed I'd find myself jumping up to skip to the next tune, flip the LP over, or skip to another CD altogether (or push that little arrow/line button on the remote)...

--Mr Bill

Harry said:
I'm a bit confused by the above statement. Are you saying that you think the mix is different on "Route 101" between the LP and the DEF HITS CD?

They'd sounded identical to me, at least mix-wise. Haven't listened to Def Hits much since I bought it, though. If anything, the LP sounds better--it's a bit warmer and more "full-bodied" than the CD versions. I don't know if the album was recorded digitally, but some of the effects (like the reverb, which sounds a little too perfect and unnatural) do sound like they're digital, and the LP takes the edge off of them a little.

Maybe that warmth on the LP makes the drums sound a little fuller? Could be!

This is everyones big chance to get the Fandango CD, but you better hurry!
It's for sale on ebay (as Buy it now) for only $350.00, Yeah Baby!
Try to explain that one to your Wife... Gee honey, I spent all the money for the Christmas gifts on the Herb Alpert "Fandango" CD... you're not mad are you?

Well, let's hope that FANDANGO eventually becomes one of the reissues.

I agree it is a great album, and shows Herb Alpert to be a great trumpet player. It is, IMO, his best solo album...

There's something about SUGARLOAF that reminds me of AND THE ANGELS SING from GOING PLACES. Both are among my favorite tunes. I like FANDANGO and ROUTE 101, but SUGARLOAF has always been the tune that I play the most often from this album. I'm sure that the title refers to the rock formation in Rio De Janeiro. It does, doesn't it?

Dan

what's the background vocalist singing at the end of 'margarita'?it sounds like 'mawegaska,mawegaska,maway'? does it have any meaning or just jose quintana scatting in a unique way?

Captain Bacardi said:
I have some mixed feelings about Fandango myself. On the one hand the songs, arrangements and sound of the album are quite good. Herb's solos, on the other hand, are rather tepid, with the exception of "Route 101". But on songs as "Fandango", "Latin Medley" (especially), "Push And Pull" and to some extent "Sugarloaf" the trumpet solos are kind of weak and aren't well thought out. What I really like about the album is how great the sound is, especially the acoustic guitars on some tunes. I've always thought of this album as a bit of a bridge between the TJB sound and his solo work at that time.

Capt. Bacardi
...probably in the minority on this topic online... :cool:
Well put!

Captain Bacardi said:
Sounds unintelligible to me. Typical of someone who had a few margaritas! :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi

And just WHO is it has been having a few margaritas, eh? :goofygrin: Happy New TJB Year Y'all,

Mike A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom