• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Fandango - Shout Factory CD release scheduled for 2/19/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Randy! After having a not so great week at work, and the horrible news that's going on right now, this is like that proverbial ray of sunshine in an otherwise sad time here of at all times the Christmas season. I have BEYOND on cassette tape, and you did indeed write some of the cuts on the album, and not only that, produced it with your uncle and Andy Armer! Alsso, on the cut "The Factory", you had Peter Frampton on as guest soloist as well! Are there plans to release MAGIC MAN,BLOW YOUR OWN HORN,etc in the near future as well? Hope so! Also, accept my sympathy on the passing of Gil Friesen. I know that your uncle is deeply grieved about this, as he was an important(very important ) part of the building/founding of A&M Records. He will be missed.

Again, thanks for the good news, and all the details of the process of remastering the old tapes. I recently met a guy who used to work for Motown, and now has his own recording studio, and he explained some of the process to me, and from what he told me, the task of doing these things is ARDUOUS. But in the end, it's very much worth it. Happy Holidays, and my best to you and your family!
jazzdre

I have started making records under the name of Captain Badazz and am starting to get dance club play from Germany, the UK, France, Brazil, and one of my songs, "I Want Money" is up for a new Scorsese film. So Captain Badazz "yes" and Randy Andy "no". Have a good holiday!

Well, I had to try. :D

Be sure to keep us posted on the Captain Badazz releases! I have a 12" single section here that I haven't had time to restart, but dance releases like that would fit in nicely.

There aren't anymore music stores in my area, so I'll probably have to pass this up.:realmad: I don't trust these online retailers, like Amazon, so I guess I'll have to make do with my compressed homemade two-fer of Magic Man and Fandango.

to Alpert fan you might want to try Best buy they might have the new release I had no problem with Amazon or best buy on line retailers. you would get it in the mail the same day it is release. now from I understand they get in a maybe about a week before. so when you get it. it is on the same day it was released. now when those other remastered one was released I got to best buy when they first opened so they had it. I live in Cleveland,Ohio
bob

Chuck - You can find the recording dates and personnel here on the forum. If you search "subject line only" for the individual album titles, there is a topic that has the studio info for each of the albums (at least the first few, if not all of them). It might take some digging, and maybe Steve S. can tell us exactly what topics have the relevant information in them, but it IS there for the finding.

We should maybe have a dedicated thread just for that info.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice. I did do a search for The Brass Are Comin' and Summertime but wasn't able to locate the recording information.

What I'm curious about are things like the fact that Summertime came out in 1971, a couple years after the TJB were disbanded in 1969, so I wonder whether it it was recorded before or after they disbanded (I suspect after because it sounds like a progression from the previous albums); the fact the sound of the last few TJB albums are so distinct from each other makes me wonder when they were recorded in relation to each other; and the fact that the Lost Treasures tracks don't sound like it would have fit into any of those later releases makes me wonder when they were recorded. I guess being a jazz fan makes me curious about this kind of minutiae!

Generally, I'd say that considering the popularity of the TJB's music, there's a strange dearth of information available about how and when it was created. Until or unless someone writes a book on the subject, I hope the new website can remedy that to some extent.

Hi Randy,

I'm thrilled about the reissue and website projects, and very appreciative that you are sharing the progress on this forum.

One additional void that I hope you might be able to fill on the new website is information. I would love to see a detailed discography with recording dates and personnel for the TJB recordings. I would also love to see commentary regarding some of the later TJB releases, since they were never issued on CD, and therefore didn't get the full treatment, including essays, that the earlier reissues did. Those three late TJB recording—Warm, The Brass Are Comin', and Summertime—are my personal favorites, and so I've always wondered what Herb's thoughts were regarding them…

In any case, much thanks for everything.

Hi Chuck-

We will certainly have as much information as we can. There is a lot mis-information regarding musicians who played on the records from 1962 - 1970. Many of the musicians were not listed on the recording contracts and many that were listed and did overdubs their parts were not used. Also, Herb recorded over a hundred songs with hundreds of over-dubs during this period and does not remember every single musician who played each part on every single track. Unfortunately I cannot call up Larry Levine or Julius Wechter who might have known for sure who played what. We are doing the best we can and will hopefully get as much information out as possible. I will also speak to Herb about including his thoughts on the above albums you mentioned. Good idea!

Wishing you good health and much happiness in 2013!

Chuck - You can find the recording dates and personnel here on the forum. If you search "subject line only" for the individual album titles, there is a topic that has the studio info for each of the albums (at least the first few, if not all of them). It might take some digging, and maybe Steve S. can tell us exactly what topics have the relevant information in them, but it IS there for the finding.

We should maybe have a dedicated thread just for that info.

Hi Mike-

Unfortunately many of the musicians listed are not correct. Many musicians might have been hired to play and are listed on the original AFM Recording Contract but their parts may have been replaced by other musicians as the arrangements changed. Often times as the recording over-dub process moves along, new ideas and other parts pop up and the older ideas are not used. Also, many, many of the union contracts are missing and or lost. I've had all kinds of problems trying to locate recording sessions that I 100% know happened yet the union has no record of the session. So many times you might see a guitar player listed on one session over-dub but in reality there was another over-dub session 5 days later and that guitar player in actuality replaced the previous guitar player. Personally, when Andy Armer, Herb and I worked on "Rise" and "Beyond" We'd often play a lot of little parts on different instruments and never filled out a contract nor listed ourselves as a guitar player or clavinet player, etc.

As for me, I'll be the optimist on this point. There is at least one New Zealand Herb Alpert fan that would buy all the downloads. I had a fellow member burn a CD of "Volume 2 and The Brass are Coming" and send them to me because Itune downloads of these albums weren't available in NZ. Don't really want to go that route again---------but you are talking to a desparate man--------so, if necessary, I'll go down that track again.

Jimbob

Hi Jimbob-

Unless there is some sort of Iron Curtain filter around NZ regarding Lossless files, you will be able to to download them from our site. Doesn't matter if you are in Zambia or Copacabana Beach or Easter Island. The files will be available..

Hey Randy! After having a not so great week at work, and the horrible news that's going on right now, this is like that proverbial ray of sunshine in an otherwise sad time here of at all times the Christmas season. I have BEYOND on cassette tape, and you did indeed write some of the cuts on the album, and not only that, produced it with your uncle and Andy Armer! Alsso, on the cut "The Factory", you had Peter Frampton on as guest soloist as well! Are there plans to release MAGIC MAN,BLOW YOUR OWN HORN,etc in the near future as well? Hope so! Also, accept my sympathy on the passing of Gil Friesen. I know that your uncle is deeply grieved about this, as he was an important(very important ) part of the building/founding of A&M Records. He will be missed.

Again, thanks for the good news, and all the details of the process of remastering the old tapes. I recently met a guy who used to work for Motown, and now has his own recording studio, and he explained some of the process to me, and from what he told me, the task of doing these things is ARDUOUS. But in the end, it's very much worth it. Happy Holidays, and my best to you and your family!
jazzdre

Hi Jazzdre-

Sorry to hear that you didn't have such a great week at work. Hopefully you've had the low and things will begin improving quickly.

Gil was someone I knew since I was 10 years old and someone who I always admired. I know that he meant so much to both Herb & Jerry and that they are both deeply affected. He was hugely responsible for Herb putting together a Tijuana Brass that could go out and play shows around the world.

Please know that I plan on releasing both albums that you listed above.

There aren't anymore music stores in my area, so I'll probably have to pass this up.:realmad: I don't trust these online retailers, like Amazon, so I guess I'll have to make do with my compressed homemade two-fer of Magic Man and Fandango.

Hi Alpertfan-

Unfortunately we will not be handling CD's on the new website. We will have both MP3 320 and Lossless files. I would love to eventually offer 24 bit 192K files....

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. I didn't even think of Best Buy, because their music selection is so limited, but they just may have a copy. Honestly, I'm more interested in reading the liner notes than the disc itself, though I'm hoping the sound is as good as the vinyl.

your welcome alpert fan, you are right Best buy really do not stock our kind of music, but others yeah. as far as the disc sounding great, if you read one of the first post about Randy playing it for Herb. and Herb almost fell out of his chair. Now you know if Herb almost did that. You know it has to sound great, and Herb has the final say so. so I know it has to sound excellent.
bob

??? I've been ordering from Amazon for years and I have NEVER had any problem whatsoever.

??? I've been ordering from Amazon for years and I have NEVER had any problem whatsoever.

Most of us are fine with ordering from websites, but there are still some who are leery of the practice. It could be for one of several reasons. First, it's something they've avoided all these years, so it's still a new and terrifying idea - fear of the unknown. In other cases, there could be those who've shunned credit cards, the backbone of online ordering, which would make ordering online nearly impossible.

Recall the initial days of eBay, where you'd win an auction and then have to run to a bank or post office to get a money order to ship to the seller. Then the seller would get your money order, wait for it to clear, and then and only then would ship you your stuff.

And there could be people who've been victimized by identity theft, or those who wish to avoid same.

I'm not suggesting that this is true of anyone on this thread, merely that people do have their reasons.

Harry

hi harry and merry christmas to you and every one here on the corner. some people do not know about ebay they now only have pay pal and you can't send a money order or a check to the seller. so that is why I do not have a pay pal account and do not buy from ebay.from what I heard ebay and pal pal went in together and pay pal takes 10%.
bob

hi harry and merry christmas to you and every one here on the corner. some people do not know about ebay they now only have pay pal and you can't send a money order or a check to the seller. so that is why I do not have a pay pal account and do not buy from ebay.from what I heard ebay and pal pal went in together and pay pal takes 10%.
bob

PayPal and eBay take all of their money from the sellers. Buyers never pay anything extra to either PayPal or eBay, unless you consider the inflated costs that sellers charge to cover their costs.

Harry

Randy — just a quick note of thanks for contributing your thoughts here. It's "inside" stuff and very interesting, particularly information about steps you're taking to resurrect old tapes. I'm working on a documentary about the dawn of television, and we're finding that one of the first issues is finding videotape machines that play 2" tapes. In some cases, you get one pass at transferring the tape. With video, old tape that has wavy edges is frozen until such time it can be brought out for transfer, an expensive and time consuming process.

Glad to hear some of Herb's more obscure work (Coney Island, Summertime, maybe the original "You Smile" cuts that were updated for "Lost Treasures") will be available for purchase. This will be my umpteenth time buying the music. :)

By the way, I'm a Herb and A&M fan since childhood. When I was 10, my folks tried to buy stock in A&M for my birthday. As an adult, I read interviews with Herb and Jerry and tried to pattern my interactive agency in the way I perceived Herb and Jerry built A&M. Tried to buy a ticket to the Grammy Museum program a couple of months back, pulling every string I had, but it sold out. A highlight of my life was to have a paragraph of an earlier interview I did with Herb quoted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame bios of Herb and Jerry: http://rockhall.com/inductees/herb-alpert-and-jerry-moss/bio/

Randy — just a quick note of thanks for contributing your thoughts here. It's "inside" stuff and very interesting, particularly information about steps you're taking to resurrect old tapes. I'm working on a documentary about the dawn of television, and we're finding that one of the first issues is finding videotape machines that play 2" tapes. In some cases, you get one pass at transferring the tape. With video, old tape that has wavy edges is frozen until such time it can be brought out for transfer, an expensive and time consuming process.

Glad to hear some of Herb's more obscure work (Coney Island, Summertime, maybe the original "You Smile" cuts that were updated for "Lost Treasures") will be available for purchase. This will be my umpteenth time buying the music. :)

By the way, I'm a Herb and A&M fan since childhood. When I was 10, my folks tried to buy stock in A&M for my birthday. As an adult, I read interviews with Herb and Jerry and tried to pattern my interactive agency in the way I perceived Herb and Jerry built A&M. Tried to buy a ticket to the Grammy Museum program a couple of months back, pulling every string I had, but it sold out. A highlight of my life was to have a paragraph of an earlier interview I did with Herb quoted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame bios of Herb and Jerry: http://rockhall.com/inductees/herb-alpert-and-jerry-moss/bio/

Hi Richard-
I can totally relate to the problems, you mentioned, of transferring very old video tape. Quite a few times we too only get one pass to transfer an audio tape as the oxide is completely falling off the tape. Finding good sounding 3 track machines that have not been made for 50 years is also extremely difficult. Amazingly, to me, I find that for the most part, recording tape made in the 60's, is holding up like steel. You can play it over and over like it was made last week. The 2", 1" and 1/2" tape made in the 80's is horrendous and the tape made in the 90's is even worse. The tape machines from the 80's and 90's are great but the tape is completely de-grading and just falling apart.

Regarding Herb's music; I will try to have everything available as long as it is of great quality. Not everything will be available when the website opens as many tapes are still in the transfer or mastering process but we will surely have new releases when we initially open.

I was recording the night of the Grammy Museum but heard from several people that it was just fantastic. Both H & J really enjoyed doing it and the only complaints I have heard is that it probably should have taken place at the 18 thousand seat Staples Center. Lots and lots of people really wanted to go but the Grammy auditorium is small.

Excellent to hear that your words are quoted in the R & R Hall of Fame bio. What a great honor!!

Randy, people have asked about the new recording and whether Lani was included. My question to you relates to Lani's older recordings for A&M. Are any of those in the pipeline either as CDs or digital downloads? A few of us have struggled with the bad vinyl that was used for the Brazilian-only A BRAZILEIRA with its bumps and pits, doing the best we could to digitally clean up the recordings (with decent results I might add), but would surely love to have something closer to the original tapes. Lani's albums have been out of print for many years and there are a lot of people who ask about them.

Harry

Hi Jimbob-

Unless there is some sort of Iron Curtain filter around NZ regarding Lossless files, you will be able to to download them from our site. Doesn't matter if you are in Zambia or Copacabana Beach or Easter Island. The files will be available..

Wahoo...........thats the BEST Christmas gift I could ever hope for:santawave:

Randy, people have asked about the new recording and whether Lani was included. My question to you relates to Lani's older recordings for A&M. Are any of those in the pipeline either as CDs or digital downloads? A few of us have struggled with the bad vinyl that was used for the Brazilian-only A BRAZILEIRA with its bumps and pits, doing the best we could to digitally clean up the recordings (with decent results I might add), but would surely love to have something closer to the original tapes. Lani's albums have been out of print for many years and there are a lot of people who ask about them.

Harry

Hi Harry-

Herb has recorded an album worth of songs and I think Lani was on 2 tracks and part of a group vocal part on another. Lani will also have some of her previous albums released as downloads. Several months ago I completed hi rez digital transfers of her, "Sun Down Lady" album that, in my view, sounded spectacular. I had never heard that album and was very moved by Lani's vocals and the intimacy of that recording.

Wishing you much happiness in 2013!

I had never heard that album and was very moved by Lani's vocals and the intimacy of that recording.
The thing that always amazed me about that album was that it's produced by Herb and he performs on it, yet it sounds absolutely NOTHING like any of his own records. Quite often a producer will leave an identifiable "stamp" when he produces somebody's work (Todd Rundgren and Phil Spector jump to mind) but Herb 's versatility let the artist's own identity stand out. Same thing on the Sergio Mendes records he produced....not a hint of TJB-ness to be found, even that early in his producing career.

I'm glad to hear that some Lani downloads will be available...with her being more in the spotlight these days the time is definitely right.

Herb's great at letting musicians do their thing and bringing out the best in them. It's truly amazing to me that not only does SUN DOWN LADY sound very little like Herb, it also sounds very little like Sergio Mendes, whose lead singer she had been. It was a total reinvention.

I'm glad I got that Japanese Vivid Sounds CD while it was in print, but if these downloads sound great, I'm there.

Harry

Randy, I have a question about one of the TJB albums (and I'm probably jumping the gun on this one): Herb's '74 album You Smile - The Song Begins. A few of the songs on that album appeared on the Lost Treasures CD from 2005 with Herb redoing the trumpet in a couple of cases. When You Smile does get released will it be as the album originally was or will the re-recorded versions be on it?

Thanks again for your responses. Happy New Year my friend!

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom